What miracles did...

Not really. Some people have been sainted while alive.

But you have to have 3 verifiable miracles, and since it takes a number of sources it takes a while now b/c people want to be sure.

Look up saints some time, there's over 1500.

Okay, this is going to sound sarcastic but it's a serious question. How do you keep them all straight?

Oh, I don't.

After Saint Patrick and Saint Francis, I don't care that much.

The church, or someone puts out a calender with all the saints and thier days. Each day has at least 3 saints, except for Christmas and Easter time. some have up to 5.

fyi, I'm not Catholic, I just went to Catholic school. My Dad was catholic, mom was baptist. So a lot of this is from old memories.

meh

I used to be under the impression that the 3 miracles had to be big, and have no other explanation.
Patrick rid Ireland of snakes
George slayed a dragon [I know, I figgen know]
Francis could walk up to any animal and many followed him around.

I just wan to know what the Pope did that didn't make the news.

:dunno:

I liked him, he seemed to be a genuinely decent kind of guy. Likeable, charismatic, and so on and so on. I can see why the Church might want to honor him in some way. But...okay, I don't know what I don't know, let alone what I don't know about what I don't know. Maybe I should bow out now. :D

It appears that only two miracles are needed for beatification. The first was healing Sister Marie Simon Pierre from Parkinsons disease and the second has not yet been revealed. I googled Pope John Paul ii.

I read that.

It seems she was healed after he was dead and she thinks it was him.

Reading her post was like reading a star struck fans letter that had a taste for the dramatic

Okay, this is going to sound sarcastic but it's a serious question. How do you keep them all straight?

Oh, I don't.

After Saint Patrick and Saint Francis, I don't care that much.

The church, or someone puts out a calender with all the saints and thier days. Each day has at least 3 saints, except for Christmas and Easter time. some have up to 5.

fyi, I'm not Catholic, I just went to Catholic school. My Dad was catholic, mom was baptist. So a lot of this is from old memories.

meh

I used to be under the impression that the 3 miracles had to be big, and have no other explanation.
Patrick rid Ireland of snakes
George slayed a dragon [I know, I figgen know]
Francis could walk up to any animal and many followed him around.

I just wan to know what the Pope did that didn't make the news.

:dunno:

I liked him, he seemed to be a genuinely decent kind of guy. Likeable, charismatic, and so on and so on. I can see why the Church might want to honor him in some way. But...okay, I don't know what I don't know, let alone what I don't know about what I don't know. Maybe I should bow out now. :D

All Popes are likable, thier Popes. Seems it would be a requirement.

Sometimes I hate these threads that could be interesting and even informative if only the trolls were not so obsessed with spewing their contempt for anything Christian. But oh well.

I don't believe the saint has to perform a miracle in his lifetime, but the miracles have to occur after his death--i.e. proof that he is assisting the living with his heavenly status. The assistance/miracle would need to be witnessed/testified to by a credible person and the more witnesses, the more credibility will exist. Miracles during the saints lifetime of course would call attention to his blessed status.

The issues of saints and powers of Popes etc. have changed over the years as new church leaders are raised up with new opinions. Back during the seventies, the Vatican determined that many of the saints then on the rolls had been placed there for political reasons over the centuries rather than out of any spiritual proof. And many were dropped.

I was communications officer, among other things, for a Catholic Hospital at that time. The Asst Admistrator's favorite saying when things got hectic: "Saints preserve us!!" But then Sister Mary DePaul, the administrator would shake her head and say, "Joe, there aren't enough saints left to preserve us." It got pretty funny sometimes.

All part and parcel of the ebb and flow of the mysteries of faith, beliefs, traditions, and spiritual underpinnings. A century from now it will likely be much different again.

maybe it isn't saying much, but Pope John Paul the second, was the best Pope in my lifetime of Popes...his good heavily outweighed the bad, imho.

I liked him too Care.

Oh and in answer to GC's question, I believe 'beatification' is when one miracle is documented after the sainted one's death. Canonization or sainthood is granted when two or more miracles are documented.

No need to be ignorant.

With so many Catholic Priests molesting children, while the higher ups look the other way, it wasn't an ignorant statement at all.

You are correct.

Your post was childish and wasteful.

Go troll elsewhere please.

Baby, bathwater. Mebbe we can condemn pedophilia in the RCC without bashing every Catholic, living or dead?

With so many Catholic Priests molesting children, while the higher ups look the other way, it wasn't an ignorant statement at all.

You are correct.

Baby, bathwater. Mebbe we can condemn pedophilia in the RCC without bashing every Catholic, living or dead?

I wanted to know what miracles the Pope had done to have him up for Sainthood.

not wander off topic into yet another blather fest about the pedophiles in their ranks.

To be clear, I simply am unconcerned about religion. I'm simply wondering what it takes to be a Saint and what the Pope did.

So far it's believed he cured a womans parkinsons, after he death.

You are correct.

I wanted to know what miracles the Pope had done to have him up for Sainthood.

not wander off topic into yet another blather fest about the pedophiles in their ranks.

To be clear, I simply am unconcerned about religion. I'm simply wondering what it takes to be a Saint and what the Pope did.

So far it's believed he cured a womans parkinsons, after he death.

Thank you.

I honestly don't know what the qualifying miracles were. I don't know that they are always released to the general public out of respect for the privacy of the still living who have been involved.

But apparently there was enough about John Paul II's miracles to merit a book:

2181RHA8CFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Don't worry

The xtians will have no problem making up stories about miracles. They never do

RCs are NOT Christian they are a Cult. ;). Making him a 'saint' will make no difference to true Christians.

Not correct, Jesus was a cult leader.
The only difference between a cult and a religion is the number of members and it's level of social acceptance.

No Jesus was not a cult leader. He didn't brainwash any of his followers. He also was against ritual practices or what is considered a custom of the church at the time. Customs and ritual practices cause some to think if they do just these things they are saved. This teaches a works based faith of which is NOT what Jesus taught.

The Pope does not deserve Sainthood because he DID look the other way while Catholic priests molested children.

Forum List

Back