What Martin Luther King felt about White people who were not outright racists...

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
"First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a “more convenient season.” Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection"

— Letter from a Birmingham jail, 1963

Has history “sanitized” King’s words?

Yes or no? Why/why not?

The work of democracy has always been hard. It's always been contentious. Sometimes it's been bloody. For every two steps forward, it often feels we take one step back. But the long sweep of America has been defined by forward motion, a constant widening of our founding creed to embrace all and not just some.

Race remains a potent and often divisive force in our society. Now, I've lived long enough to know that race relations are better than they were 10, or 20, or 30 years ago, no matter what some folks say. You can see it not just in statistics, you see it in the attitudes of young Americans across the political spectrum.

But we're not where we need to be. And all of us have more work to do. - Barrack Obama Farewell Speech

"First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a “more convenient season.” Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection"

Yes or no? Why/why not?

I don't know what you mean by "sanitized," but his words were certainly prophetic. Today they apply to white liberals living in gated enclaves who support "social justice" as long as it doesn't get too close to them. True conservatives abhor restrictions on anyone's freedom, but also hold people accountable for their personal responsibilities. His "dream" has been turned into a nightmare by those who have elevated race above character.

Yes or no? Why/why not?
I agree back then it was true that evil wins when good men do nothing.

But isn't that the past? Blacks aren't being lynched or denied access to schools. We have black CEOs and a black president and let's just say blacks have come a long way.

So what is it you want from us? What can we do for you?

And what can you do for yourselves? Look at the poor blacks you say are being discriminated against. Are you looking at them? What can they do themselves?

Here's another thing that pisses me off. What do you want from us white moderates when you people won't even show up to vote? So I argue for you and I vote for liberal politicians who want to help blacks but blacks don't show up? Again, evil wins when good men do nothing. Not voting is literally doing nothing.

Yes or no? Why/why not?

History has been "sanitized," but not so much in the way I think you are getting at.

The reason the government had King assassinated, was because he recognized that the brunt of the military industrial complex fell upon the poor. The majority, by percentage, of the poor, is black. Or today, they are not only black, they are also immigrants, but legal and illegal, they are all POC.

Once he expanded his fight for equality into the enclaves of the Deep State, he was meddling with forces that even the very President of the United States dared not take on. They killed him, JFK, and Bobby for it.

Today, we see the upshot of this. Obama was a creation of the Deep State, he worked for the CIA. He campaigned and championed the cause of the minority communities, and yet, the were empty words, they all rang hollow.

Obama did everything the Big Banks and Wall Street wanted. He capitulated to CFR and defense establishment and made war on the planet, this was not in the interests of the poor or the minority communities. MLK would have wanted none of this.

On top of all of that, Obama didn't care one whit about the job losses in the minority communities to folks who came here illegally. He was a pawn of the establishment. His policies were cosmetic, they were naught but an extension of the policies of Bush.

15965953_1289964811050100_5255775540941891384_n.jpg

Yes or no? Why/why not?

But isn't that the past? Blacks aren't being lynched or denied access to schools. We have black CEOs and a black president and let's just say blacks have come a long way.

And what can you do for yourselves? Look at the poor blacks you say are being discriminated against. Are you looking at them? What can they do themselves?

Here's another thing that pisses me off. What do you want from us white moderates when you people won't even show up to vote? So I argue for you and I vote for liberal politicians who want to help blacks but blacks don't show up? Again, evil wins when good men do nothing. Not voting is literally doing nothing.

Why should they vote? They know that the establishment owns all the candidates.

Hell, even when the establishment runs a "black man," that very man is just another "house negro" that doesn't give a shit about them. Obama was never really "black," his true ancestry was that of a Dunham, they were one of the first families that were here in the 1600's. One of the elite families.

herman-cain-smile.gif

That's creepy. What was your point? I made two serious points. One, is what are black people going to do moving forward? Are you going to sit and wait for white republicans to bring you jobs or are you going to leave the ghettos and go get the jobs that are out there? Are you going to tell your kids to speak the queens english or tell the eubonics is cool? Are you going to start fathering your kids and are black women going to stop having kids with deadbeat dads? I know it happens in white poor neighborhoods too but they aren't blaming whitey, you are. And then you and MLK go and say us liberals let you down? You let us down when the majority of you don't vote. Had the Obama Coalition showed up, we wouldn't have a Trump presidency. I'm pissed because now the Republicans get to appoint a Supreme Court Justice. Think that con will have empathy for your black bullshit? I barely do anymore and I'm a fucking liberal. LOL

Yesterday I was watching a show on vultures. Amazing creatures. But then came the Condors and the Vultures took off. Not all birds are equal. Condors eat first. The vultures get the scraps. Don't hate Condor's for being what they are.

Yes or no? Why/why not?

Hell, even when the establishment runs a "black man," that very man is just another "house negro" that doesn't give a shit about them. Obama was never really "black," his true ancestry was that of a Dunham, they were one of the first families that were here in the 1600's. One of the elite families.

Are you a Republican? Because what you said is what I would expect a Republican who doesn't want black people voting to say.

Yes or no? Why/why not?

Are you a Republican? Because what you said is what I would expect a Republican who doesn't want black people voting to say.

No, I'm not a Republican.

I'm someone that knows it doesn't make a damn bit of difference who anyone votes for. I'm a realist that knows that the representative government is broken. If you think your vote matters, you are seriously delusional.

If Romney had won, life for minorities would be no different today than if Obama hadn't won. That is reality. The reason for this, is because who ever is president becomes president, and remains president because of TPTB.

Yes or no? Why/why not?
You black people have been very quiet on usmb since the election. I am curious what your thoughts are but even you could only reply with what I think was Herman Cain smirking?

What do you think about trump getting tough on crime? I liked what I heard. No longer will black people be victims to gangs in their communities. That stops now. So are blacks going to be resistant or are they waiting to see what happens.

Are black people still in shock? Do you think now blacks will start voting every two years?

And it's possible trump wins blacks back onto the Republican plantation

Yes or no? Why/why not?
You black people have been very quiet on usmb since the election. I am curious what your thoughts are but even you could only reply with what I think was Herman Cain smirking?

What do you think about trump getting tough on crime? I liked what I heard. No longer will black people be victims to gangs in their communities. That stops now. So are blacks going to be resistant or are they waiting to see what happens.

Are black people still in shock? Do you think now blacks will start voting every two years?

I will preface my response with the fact that contrary to the majority popular belief in this forum, black people do not think in unison or process world events as a single entity.

As far as Trump goes, if he is able stop praising himself for just a moment(before he has even done anything) and deliver on all that he has promised without the same uncooperative obstruction as the previous POTUS he may end up being remembered in history for more positive accomplishments than his bankruptcies.....early indications are that he has a propensity for his mouth writing checks that his ass can't cash.

I don't speak for any black people except myself, however, I see no real value to the black population as a whole in the existing policies of either party.

Last edited:

Yes or no? Why/why not?

I will preface my response with the fact that contrary to the majority popular belief in this forum, black people do not think in unison or process world events as a single entity.

As far as Trump goes, if he is able stop praising himself for just a moment(before he has even done anything) and deliver on all that he has promised without the same uncooperative obstruction as the previous POTUS he may end up being remembered in history for more positive accomplishments than his bankruptcies.....early indications are that he has a propensity for his mouth writing checks that his ass can't cash.

I don't speak for any black people except myself, however, I see no real value to the black population as a whole in the existing policies of either party.
I'm hoping he proves you wrong by cleaning up poor black communities with high crime. He will have to also offer jobs but he says he's going to specifically go after gangs. I think he truly wants to fix the problems in the black communities because honestly when we tell foreigners we are they greatest country they always point to our ghettos and say no we are not.

I have a dream. One day white people will move in to Detroit and bring much needed tax revenue to a city in desparate need of tax paying citizens. And young white people are moving back to Detroit but only in a few select places.

You act like trump has a record and has let us down already. He has not. He's a dirty business man but a damn good one. Yes I know all of the arguments against him but he didn't have to make that inauguration speech. He didn't have to make any promises but he did.

I agree with trump. What do you have to lose.

And I'm talking about low income high crime areas. Nobody's talking about bothering good citizens. Why would you object to cracking down on high crime areas? Maybe if your neighborhoods are as safe as they should be you'll finally reach the mountaintop

Yes or no? Why/why not?

I'm hoping he proves you wrong by cleaning up poor black communities with high crime. He will have to also offer jobs but he says he's going to specifically go after gangs. I think he truly wants to fix the problems in the black communities because honestly when we tell foreigners we are they greatest country they always point to our ghettos and say no we are not.

I have a dream. One day white people will move in to Detroit and bring much needed tax revenue to a city in desparate need of tax paying citizens. And young white people are moving back to Detroit but only in a few select places.

You act like trump has a record and has let us down already. He has not. He's a dirty business man but a damn good one. Yes I know all of the arguments against him but he didn't have to make that inauguration speech. He didn't have to make any promises but he did.

And I'm talking about low income high crime areas. Nobody's talking about bothering good citizens. Why would you object to cracking down on high crime areas? Maybe if your neighborhoods are as safe as they should be you'll finally reach the mountaintop

The problematic issue with impoverished predominately black communities is a loss of the solidarity of the 1960's, as well as the defecting from support of black owned businesses after de segregation. That has created an ongping cycle with a generational impact. I have visited the neighbors that I grew up in recently here in California. When I lived there, there were a number of thriving black owned businesses. Grocery stores, car dealerships, realty companies...etc. Those are all gone now, and the majority of the residents are Hispanics, and the Asians own the majority of the businesses. The Black population fled to the suburbs or left the state long ago.

If a community collectively lacks an economic stake in its own surroundings, that is not something that sany politician can fix. Recirculation of monetary assets within a community is what enables it to become sustainable and promote financial growth.

Trump can of course support the funding of a militaristic police presence and in the long run that will just create more short term collateral damage without fixing the root cause.

Citizens who reside in areas like inner city Detroit or Chicago will benefit more from getting involved in locally based elections than expecting any results from Trump.

I'm not judging him, I'm just "watching his feet" and remembering that this the same person who blew up Twitter after Romney lost to Obama, railing on about "marching on Washington, because Romney won the popular vote"......(when in fact Romney lost the popular vote). Now that HE is in office, he appears to have forgotten his own words.

The same person who stood up and estimated that over a million people were physically present at his inauguration, when an aerial picture proved otherwise...and then when he said "I've been on the cover of Time Magazine 15 times", I had to turn off the television......anyway, we will see what he does.

Whatever it is, it will not lack entertainment value.

Last edited:

Yes or no? Why/why not?

The problematic issue with impoverished predominately black communities is a loss of the solidarity of the 1960's, as well as the defecting from support of black owned businesses after de segregation. That has created an ongping cycle with generational impact.

If a community collectively lacks an economic stake in its own surroundings, that is not something that any politician can fix.

Trump can of course support the funding of a militaristic police presence and in the long run that will just promote collateral damage without fixing the root cause..

Citizens who reside in areas like inner city Detroit or Chicago will benefit more from getting involved in locally based elections than expecting any results from Trump.

I'm not judging him, I'm just "watching his feet" and remembering that this the same person who blew up Twitter after Romney lost to Obama, railing on about "marching on Washington, because Romney won the popular vote"......(when in fact Romney lost the popular vote).

The same person who stood up and estimated that over a million people were physically present at his inauguration, when an aerial picture proved otherwise...and then when he said "I've been on the cover of Time Magazine 15 times", I had to turn off the television......anyway, we will see what he does.

I hope jobs are coming. In fact there are jobs already available in Metro Detroit. A quick half hour drive to work. Most of us in Metro Detroit drive over a half hour each way to work. We lived in Detroit and my dad got a job in the city we live in now at Ford and we moved out of Detroit. Detroiters can do that too. Give them more credit and stop making excuses. This isn't the "make excuses" time right now. Tell me how you can do, not why you can't.

And I do believe he can do his part and make an impact but you are right that the black community is going to have to do a lot themselves. They don't have the funds to fix up their schools so the people in the neighborhood are going to have to do it themselves. Will they? They're going to have to make nice with the cops who are there to clean up their community. Not question if the cop is being too rough with the criminals.

No Sears, JC Penny, Macy, Meijers, Walmart or CVS will open in Detroit because it's too dangerous and shoplifting is too costly. Do you understand why we can't help the black community until it helps themselves? It might be the only thing Trump can do is direct the justice department to crack down on lawlessness. I think a lot of blacks are fed up and will be ok with a tough on crime community. At least until the community stops being so dangerous.

With a negative attitude you can forget about fixing Detroit and Chicago. And how can we go about giving the people living in these areas an economic stake? What economic stake do I have in my community and how did I achieve it? I went to school, worked, saved and now I'm a property owner. And I vote. These are things blacks have to do for themselves. Send your kids to school and make them learn. If you can't do this don't have kids. Who will do this for you? And if you don't then you are just producing generationally bad citizens. Work. If there are no jobs for you leave.

Anyways, it sounds like you are already making excuses. No matter what Trump tries you'll tell him it will never be good enough. Then the white elites will be right to give up on places like chi town and Detroit.

Yes or no? Why/why not?

The problematic issue with impoverished predominately black communities is a loss of the solidarity of the 1960's, as well as the defecting from support of black owned businesses after de segregation. That has created an ongping cycle with generational impact.

If a community collectively lacks an economic stake in its own surroundings, that is not something that any politician can fix.

Trump can of course support the funding of a militaristic police presence and in the long run that will just promote collateral damage without fixing the root cause..

I'm not judging him, I'm just "watching his feet" and remembering that this the same person who blew up Twitter after Romney lost to Obama, railing on about "marching on Washington, because Romney won the popular vote"......(when in fact Romney lost the popular vote).

I hope jobs are coming. In fact there are jobs already available in Metro Detroit. A quick half hour drive to work. Most of us in Metro Detroit drive over a half hour each way to work. We lived in Detroit and my dad got a job in the city we live in now at Ford and we moved out of Detroit. Detroiters can do that too. Give them more credit and stop making excuses. This isn't the "make excuses" time right now. Tell me how you can do, not why you can't.

And I do believe he can do his part and make an impact but you are right that the black community is going to have to do a lot themselves. They don't have the funds to fix up their schools so the people in the neighborhood are going to have to do it themselves. Will they? They're going to have to make nice with the cops who are there to clean up their community. Not question if the cop is being too rough with the criminals.

No Sears, JC Penny, Macy, Meijers, Walmart or CVS will open in Detroit because it's too dangerous and shoplifting is too costly. Do you understand why we can't help the black community until it helps themselves? It might be the only thing Trump can do is direct the justice department to crack down on lawlessness. I think a lot of blacks are fed up and will be ok with a tough on crime community. At least until the community stops being so dangerous.

With a negative attitude you can forget about fixing Detroit and Chicago. And how can we go about giving the people living in these areas an economic stake? What economic stake do I have in my community and how did I achieve it? I went to school, worked, saved and now I'm a property owner. And I vote. These are things blacks have to do for themselves. Send your kids to school and make them learn. If you can't do this don't have kids. Who will do this for you? And if you don't then you are just producing generationally bad citizens. Work. If there are no jobs for you leave.

Anyways, it sounds like you are already making excuses. No matter what Trump tries you'll tell him it will never be good enough. Then the white elites will be right to give up on places like chi town and Detroit.

I'm don't believe that you are understanding what I am saying, which in a nutshell is that if any progress is to be made in predominately black inner cities, big government is not the answer. There needs to be another social awakening and a unified mission as in decades past.

MLK almost had the solution but missed the boat on pushing for self reliance. For example Instead of marching and boycotting the existing bus system in the south, he could have directed that effort towards developing a Black owned and operated bus system.

I don't have any need to "make excuses". I'm 63, and retired. My kids have been put through college and have homes and families of their own.

Each one if them is an honor student and never been in trouble of any sorts. My children were taught the value of being aware of what is happening in theIr local government and being present and having a voice in the elections that impact their immediate surroundings.

The problem with many Americans is that they are under the false impression that a POTUS can "fix" everything from so called racial issues to magically creating jobs in a depressed economic environment.

So do not confuse my REALISTIC point of view and lack of enthusiasm for this new president with "making excuses".

Last edited:

Yes or no? Why/why not?

All behaviors are a question of economics. You find an end you desire and define to what length you are willing to go to achieve those ends. If the oppertunity cost exceeds the immediate value of the end result desired you settle for a lesser result desired until the true end result desired is economically viable. Those who are willing to accept a larger oppertunity cost than the result desired are martyrers and radicals. Martyrers and radicals are always risky because they more often than not make the end result desired less attainable than if they had originally stayed within their oppertunity cost.

Yes or no? Why/why not?

Are you not capable of thinking for yourself? How about you give your opinion on what he said.

Yes or no? Why/why not?
"History" has sanitized everything about him. It's a shame really.

Forum List

Back