What Makes the US Worth Defending

Carol

Jul 31, 2010
Eugene, Oregon USA
These definitions come from a Webster dictionary.

Ethnic is," any of the basic divisions of mankind, as distinguished by customs, language, etc.." Ethnically, I am a citizen of the USA. To be more specific, I am of the west of the USA, having lived in Washington. California and Oregon, but not experiencing other parts of the USA.

Ethics is "1. the study of of standards of conduct and moral judgment. 2. the system of morals of a particular person, religion, group, etc.". The ethics of the US were based on Greek and Roman classics that give us an understanding of democracy. I don't believe this is true today, so I question what makes the US worth defending.

Ethnic is," any of the basic divisions of mankind, as distinguished by customs, language, etc.." Ethnically, I am a citizen of the USA. To be more specific, I am of the west of the USA, having lived in Washington. California and Oregon, but not experiencing other parts of the USA.

Ethics is "1. the study of of standards of conduct and moral judgment. 2. the system of morals of a particular person, religion, group, etc.". The ethics of the US were based on Greek and Roman classics that give us an understanding of democracy. I don't believe this is true today, so I question what makes the US worth defending.

ask the people who are crossing the desert and risking their lives to come here.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed."

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness. These rights do not come cheap as has been attested by the many men, women and children who have fought for them and fought to keep them. Yes, they are mere words but they have a deeper meaning behind them than other words. It is every human beings right to live and to live as they want to live. Every human being has the right to choose their own path, whether it is right or wrong as long as it does not infringe upon other human beings right of life, liberty or their pursuit of happiness. This is what the US stands for. This is what we defend. Our way of life, our right to pursue happiness, and our liberty!

Because some in government are not ethical is not just cause to turn away from your country. Throughout history there have always been bad people in positions of power. This is human nature and according to Lord Acton: "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

How about i make it very simple for you.

You have the freedom to ask the question you just did, in public and will live to do it again.

ask the people who are crossing the desert and risking their lives to come here.

Money is want makes the US worth defending? Materialism is not my idea of something worth defending. Besides, the US has consumed its natural resources and spent its wealth, so we better come up with something besides materialism.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed."

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness. These rights do not come cheap as has been attested by the many men, women and children who have fought for them and fought to keep them. Yes, they are mere words but they have a deeper meaning behind them than other words. It is every human beings right to live and to live as they want to live. Every human being has the right to choose their own path, whether it is right or wrong as long as it does not infringe upon other human beings right of life, liberty or their pursuit of happiness. This is what the US stands for. This is what we defend. Our way of life, our right to pursue happiness, and our liberty!

Because some in government are not ethical is not just cause to turn away from your country. Throughout history there have always been bad people in positions of power. This is human nature and according to Lord Acton: "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

I think the most valuable thing you have said is "the pursuit of happiness". What do these words mean to you? People around the world have a large of liberty because their governments are too weak to prevent their liberty. some people even enjoy anarchy. I would say the big difference is this idea of pursuing happiness which is mixed with political organization.

Last edited:
Hi Carol:

What Makes the US Worth Defending
Nothing! These are the Top Ten Reasons That The USA Will Be Destroyed (link).

Americans are just too STUPID to continue living as free men ...

GL,

Terral

Money is want makes the US worth defending? Materialism is not my idea of something worth defending. Besides, the US has consumed its natural resources and spent its wealth, so we better come up with something besides materialism.

the ability to better one's life makes the US worth defending.

Some people have said some disrespectful things, and this is like throwing garbabe in someone's yard. I asked what I thought is a meaningful question, expecting meaningful answers.

I like Cad's answer, and the answer that what makes the USA good is "hope". Can we add some thoughts to this?
As we deal with a recession, some people are loosing hope, and not everyone is realizing an opportunity to improve his/her life. This is really difficult, but what gives us the opportunity to do better and what gives us hope?

Last edited:
Other than America being the best damn country the world has ever seen?

US has biggest debt, biggest army, most wars, most prisoners, most people without health care of the developped world, most hand gun deaths, most people around the world hate you and/or want to attack you... and the list goes on.

(Personally, I like the US a lot, maybe not for the guns, wars, army, greed and ..., but otherwise it's totally cool. :D)

Other than America being the best damn country the world has ever seen?

US has biggest debt, biggest army, most wars, most prisoners, most people without health care of the developped world, most hand gun deaths, most people around the world hate you and/or want to attack you... and the list goes on.

(Personally, I like the US a lot, maybe not for the guns, wars, army, greed and ..., but otherwise it's totally cool. :D)

Then why don't you provide those reasons instead of trolling.

Forum List

Back