What makes someone suidcidal (Mental Illness?)

There can be various reasons.
Sometimes, it's just an illness that someone can't deal with.
Often times, it's over the break up of a romantic relationship or undiagnosed depression.

But what makes some more prone to it that others?
Life experiences?
Chemical or hormonal changes (like Post partum depression?)

What do you think is the most common cause?
Is it more prevalent NOW then it was say, 20 or 30 years ago?
I've known several people who have committed suicide.

I discovered one of them.

One of my neighbors seemed to have gone missing. Nobody had seen him for three days. That was very odd. He was not the type to just run off without telling any of his friends. And there was a bad odor emminating from his apartment.

I knew that he had already suffered two serious heart attacks. I figured that it was likely that he had another heart attack, it was fatal, and his corpse was in there dead on the floor of his apartment. Rotting in the mid-summer heat.

I was wrong.

When I told the building manager of my suspicions we went up there and he opened the door. Jim was hanging from a cross beam by an electric cord. Visually, it was a very gruesome scene. Scavanging insects and birds were all over him. The smell was worse.

I almost puked.

Why did he do it? I think he did it because his disability payments were cut off. He was very upset about that.

People have to learn how to cope in adverse circumstances.
That is why I think it is bad we pamper our children so much and protect them from horrors.
Especially if simply being broke makes you want to end your life.
There have been times I wanted to just take off and live off the land or start over.

Bad parenting - not preparing their offspring for life

There can be various reasons.
Sometimes, it's just an illness that someone can't deal with.
Often times, it's over the break up of a romantic relationship or undiagnosed depression.

But what makes some more prone to it that others?
Life experiences?
Chemical or hormonal changes (like Post partum depression?)

What do you think is the most common cause?
Is it more prevalent NOW then it was say, 20 or 30 years ago?
I've known several people who have committed suicide.

I discovered one of them.

One of my neighbors seemed to have gone missing. Nobody had seen him for three days. That was very odd. He was not the type to just run off without telling any of his friends. And there was a bad odor emminating from his apartment.

I knew that he had already suffered two serious heart attacks. I figured that it was likely that he had another heart attack, it was fatal, and his corpse was in there dead on the floor of his apartment. Rotting in the mid-summer heat.

I was wrong.

When I told the building manager of my suspicions we went up there and he opened the door. Jim was hanging from a cross beam by an electric cord. Visually, it was a very gruesome scene. Scavanging insects and birds were all over him. The smell was worse.

I almost puked.

Why did he do it? I think he did it because his disability payments were cut off. He was very upset about that.

I really think it's got a lot to do with perspective. If you have unfinished business, such as adolescent children, you're more inclined to suffer through until you've completed your business. If those aren't the circumstances, chances are you'll either give up on life or do yourself in and call it quits. As with the case with your neighbor you discovered, I would venture to say it wasn't just one factor. Could have been a combination of the heart attacks, disability going away, being a burden to others, kids were grown, whatever. Some people decide they don't want to suffer, they don't want to deteriorate to incompacity, being dependent on others, for example, so they check out permanently. Those circumstances bring sad times, loneliness, and apathy. Such was the case with Robin Williams. While hugely successful and loved by the masses, he felt completely lonely and was not with his wife or family when he cashed it all in. Interpersonal relationships can be devastingly painful.

Sometimes, life is just not enjoyable enough to go on
And if you don't have the tools or motivation to change it, done.

i tried with razor and knife to die and still must live till i die from an accruing disease

I think if you have no hope, no passion, you will feel there is no reason to live.
Many people are afraid, maybe they have a tiny bit of hope, not sure.....

You need a reason to live. A purpose in life.

Sometimes, life is not what you want it to be, and if it beats you down too much, it feels like it's too much to bear.

Everyone has different degree or level of mental strength.

Most days, I don't care if I live or die. I'm sure if I were looking death in the face, I might feel differently.

i tried with razor and knife to die and still must live till i die from an accruing disease

Do you still want to die?
yes i want to die it is like bearing to still must live

well we should talk here more.
life is something to be endured for me.
I have good moments - no real ecstasy moments or any of pure joy.
Knowing people are basically selfish to the core, and, ultimately not interested in you unless you are fun and positive is a piece of knowledge that is hard to live with.
most of my enjoyment is found here and watching television

People view those suffering from depression as weak and whiners.
Weak? Maybe, but again, that goes to people's lack of compassion. They think everyone should just be tough and have no tolerance or understanding that people have differing STRENGTHS and WEAKNESS.

Can you improve or make steps? Possibly. But people on this earth will have shitty lives.
And it's not always up to us or under our control

Having emotional support of others makes so much difference in attitude. If you have no support, there's no lonelier place to be and therefore no reason to go on. Depression is a result of not having support, so are the other issues that accompany it. Lack of support is devastating. Support, on the other hand, is a game changer.

I think for some, support/caring is not enough.
Some people need more.
I know I am one of them. I don't want an arm around me telling me they love me.
I want something real or nothing at all.
Are my expectations to high? Yes.
But I am not encouraged or comforted by people gathering around at a bad time.
I am encouraged and comforted by someone that likes me so much they want to be around me and talk to me as much as possible.

Maybe some people just don't know that it takes to make their lives happy.
They could also be in a situation where they are trapped (jail, a violent spouse etc.)

Unfortunately, I think many people do it impulsively, because no one is there to help or ride it out with them.
How does a spouse trap you? Helping to ride out a problem may not really be helping but enabling.

Like "if you leave me I'll kill you" or "if you leave me I'll kill your family".....
That's when you say "Not if I kill you first".

Listening to pacifists.
I'm a fighter. Always will be. Fucker threatens me be better make damn sure he does a good job in killing me. I had enough of being beat on. No more. And threats mean squat to me.

I think for some, support/caring is not enough.
Some people need more.
I know I am one of them. I don't want an arm around me telling me they love me.
I want something real or nothing at all.
Are my expectations to high? Yes.
But I am not encouraged or comforted by people gathering around at a bad time.
I am encouraged and comforted by someone that likes me so much they want to be around me and talk to me as much as possible.

What you speak of isn't true support, it's merely having an associate trying to console you. A support system will be there through thick and thin, they know how they can help you because they know you so well, they do far more than give you a passing hug, they put their desire to help you into active efforts that commit them to time and actually give of themselves, and not simply financial assistance. Anyone can do that, this is far reaching to help you grow and move beyond where you are in the pit of despair. These folks are indeed rare, and most of us never are fortunate to find even one such person in their entire lifetime. These are not just well wishers.

Bonzi...this is probably too nosey but I'm going to ask anyway.
We all got the drift you are not happy in your marriage. Is it because he has threatened you and/or your family that you stay with him? And more importantly....can he see your posts or has access to your pc? If so..don't answer.

Forum List

Back