What makes someone suidcidal (Mental Illness?)

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
There can be various reasons.
Sometimes, it's just an illness that someone can't deal with.
Often times, it's over the break up of a romantic relationship or undiagnosed depression.

But what makes some more prone to it that others?
Life experiences?
Chemical or hormonal changes (like Post partum depression?)

What do you think is the most common cause?
Is it more prevalent NOW then it was say, 20 or 30 years ago?

Mental illness and impulsivity. I believe a lot of young people commit suicide because they are impulsive and reckless, and perhaps do not yet appreciate the permanence of death. I mean, they do, but they really haven't given THAT part of it much thought. They are wrapped up in their problems and issues which overshadow any common sense thinking. I've known several people who have committed suicide.

Oops. Make that 5 people. I had forgotten about my ex's cousin. She was in her 30s and had 3 children. She was going through a divorce at the time. I didn't know her though. I had only met her once or twice. Sad for her kids.

I too know several people who committed suicide, who were close to me. None were teenagers though.

Depression seems like a likely culprit, but many people are depressed and only a few kill themselves.

Big pharma's drugs might also be a cause, but big gov's FDA won't bother to find out.

How many people do you think (percentage wise) have passing thoughts of wishing they were dead during a very difficult time? Do you think even a passing thought is a concern?

Why do you think drugs are a cause? Because of overdose? Or because people are not really addressing their issues?

I too know several people who committed suicide, who were close to me. None were teenagers though.

Depression seems like a likely culprit, but many people are depressed and only a few kill themselves.

That's where I wonder what the difference is. There are times that I get very down and think well if I don't wake up tomorrow, no big deal....

There is a difference between that and being so agonized you actually set out to do something..... I am too much of a coward to do it.... and I have been pretty low......

I don't think I personally know anyone that has. I have heard stories or know people that knew people that have.

I know people that have TRIED (pills) and were not successful however...

That's where I wonder what the difference is. There are times that I get very down and think well if I don't wake up tomorrow, no big deal....

There is a difference between that and being so agonized you actually set out to do something..... I am too much of a coward to do it.... and I have been pretty low......

Suicidal ideation is a symptom of mental illness and is a legitimate psychiatric diagnosis.

2012 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code V62.84 : Suicidal ideation

Suicidal ideation is a symptom of mental illness and is a legitimate psychiatric diagnosis.

2012 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code V62.84 : Suicidal ideation

well unfortunately, that is not my only one!
I'm a functional basket case :)

Big pharma's drugs might also be a cause, but big gov's FDA won't bother to find out.

How many people do you think (percentage wise) have passing thoughts of wishing they were dead during a very difficult time? Do you think even a passing thought is a concern?

Why do you think drugs are a cause? Because of overdose? Or because people are not really addressing their issues?
I bet a lot of people consider it, but never act.

I believe several pharmaceutical drugs have been shown to cause suicidal thoughts.
Overdose of drugs, whether legal or illegal, obviously can cause death. Now whether some of those are suicides or not, who knows?

Ask rural Republicans living in the Deep South. If anyone knows, it would be them.

I bet a lot of people consider it, but never act.

I believe several pharmaceutical drugs have been shown to cause suicidal thoughts.
Overdose of drugs, whether legal or illegal, obviously can cause death. Now whether some of those are suicides or not, who knows?

True.. I have seen those on commercials (side effects...)

Ironically many of the drugs that cause suicidal thoughts are anti-depressants!

Often times, it's over the break up of a romantic relationship or undiagnosed depression.

Life experiences?

suicide always isnt bad.
for example. if you must go to jail for all life.
suicide is better choice.isnt it?

Life experiences?

suicide always isnt bad.
for example. if you must go to jail for all life.
suicide is better choice.isnt it?

Imagine if Hitler, Stalin, and Mao had committed suicide early in their lives.

People do it different ways for different reasons. Some do it slowly, others, not so much. It comes down to being unhappy with your life.

HARAKIRI

200px-Akashi_Gidayu_writing_his_death_poem_before_committing_Seppuku.jpg
220px-Femme-47-ronin-seppuku-p1000701.jpg
200px-Seppuku-2.jpg
325px-Seppuku-J._M._W._Silver.jpg
harakiri-poster.jpg
NjQO85Q.jpg

Maybe some people just don't know that it takes to make their lives happy.
They could also be in a situation where they are trapped (jail, a violent spouse etc.)

Unfortunately, I think many people do it impulsively, because no one is there to help or ride it out with them.

Maybe some people just don't know that it takes to make their lives happy.
They could also be in a situation where they are trapped (jail, a violent spouse etc.)

Unfortunately, I think many people do it impulsively, because no one is there to help or ride it out with them.
How does a spouse trap you? Helping to ride out a problem may not really be helping but enabling.

Forum List

Back