What makes someone a Christian?

Wry Catcher

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Saying they are, or does behavior factor into determining if someone is a Christian?

Seems to me many (too many) who post on the USMB fail to demonstrate even the most fundamental tenets of Christianity.

Faith, without 'works' (deeds), is dead.

James 2:14-26 (New International Version)

Faith and Deeds
14What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds(works)? Can such faith save him? 15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

19You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless[a]? 21Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend. 24You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

25In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds (works) is dea
d.

Saying they are, or does behavior factor into determining if someone is a Christian?

Seems to me many (too many) who post on the USMB fail to demonstrate even the most fundamental tenets of Christianity.

What are the fundamental tenets of Christianity? My guess is you do not even know, which makes your criticism of anyone else laughable.

Christians aren't perfect people. Just forgiven.:eusa_pray:

forgiving others goes along with being forgiven.
It is not a one way street for Christians.
Most on the right seem to have lost that .

A belief that Jesus was the Son of God, that he sacrificed himself so we could be saved. Believing in the Bible and the word of God. Believing in Jehovah as God the Father. Following the bible and the word of God. Teaching others of the word. Teaching others of the end. Believing in God's Kingdom and that it will be here on Earth after the end times.

You only forgive someone when they repent and vow to try and stop doing the sinful things. Remind us when you have repented?

Technically, accepting and following the New Testament instructions on the way to attain salvation makes one a Christian. Frankly, the condemnation of Christians because they don't act according to one's expected standards is a little hypocritical, as only God know what is in the heart of every person.

That's a pretty broad paintbrush you have there.

do good in all that you do, so others may seek what you have in your beliefs in God....this is how you bring others to God, not necessarily by preaching, by words alone.

yes, it is personal, but in your works your faith will show....

that's my understanding of it.

Chrisiianity does not depend on behavior. You are to believe in Jesus Christ as the redeemer. That is all.

Supposedly, that is supposed to change your behavior in some way. It works for some, not for others.

In theory, if you allow him into your hear, and believe that Jesus has saved you from sin, you will sin less. you will not be free of sin. You will still be the same ape you always were, but you will try harder.

Don't confuse "Christian" with "Christ-like"...

If you truly believe in the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ then you are a Christian... Nobody can take that away from you...

All Christians strive to be "Christ-like", but we know we are forgiven when we can't live up to that task... Failure to do good deeds and live in a Christ-like way does not mean you are not a Christian...

Chrisiianity does not depend on behavior. You are to believe in Jesus Christ as the redeemer. That is all.

Supposedly, that is supposed to change your behavior in some way. It works for some, not for others.

In theory, if you allow him into your hear, and believe that Jesus has saved you from sin, you will sin less. you will not be free of sin. You will still be the same ape you always were, but you will try harder.

The Christians I know would take issue with the statement
"You will still be the same ape you always were, but you will try harder."

The Christians that I know believe in Creationism, that God created Adam and Eve from whom we are descended. Belief in Creationism is important to them, as the Biblical story of Creation underlies the Christian concept of "Original Sin".

Professing belief in Jesus Christ, the son of God. Belief in the trinity, and being baptized in the name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

Now, what makes a person a 'Good Christian' is another matter. That is a more exclusive group.

Forum List

Back