*What Makes Serving In Military You More Deserving To Political Opinion?

Sorry bout that,

Sorry bout that,

1. So I am always hearing how some vets have some imagined upper ground on their political views, I call bullshit.
2. I appreciate you folks who have answered the call to serve in the military, but why do you think it gives you folks the right to bash other with your duty of serving, when I was of age, there was no wars to join in to fight anyway.
3. You served, thanks!
4. Now stfu about how you think you are better than us who didn't.
5. I myself have listened to a lot of you vets, and I can assure you most of you vets are stupid as a rock.
6. But some make good sense, and I give you props for that, but I get really anal with all this crap, and your sense of entitlement to some over measure of respect, when you don't deserve it based on what you write here.
7. So some of you bastards can simply blow it out your fucking asses.
8. Others who deserve respect, you shall get some, but not because you served, you will get my respect for what kind of logic you use, and how I feel about what I gather from you, not about you being a vet, *at all*.
9. So if you are a scruffy mofo here, and you happen to be a vet, you will feel my wrath, just like any other schmuck here.
10. Get used to it, there is no *vet card*, we all are under the same rules here.
11. No offense.:badgrin:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Having served in the military provides for perspective. Having seen the elephant provides much greater perspective.

1. So you admit you drop the *vet card* in order to win a debate?
2. Most people don't know how to defend against a vet who has just dropped the *vet card*.
3. They think, "Ahh shit, I can't say anything against this vet, because everyone else will think I'm un-patriotic for attacking a vet.
4. Like kicking a puppy.
5. I think this *vet card* dropping, is sort of abuse, and should stop right about now.
6. Here's what I hear alot from vets on this board, "I'm a vet and I'm fucking real smart now that I served, and you piece of shit of a person don't no shit from shineola about anything, so YOU, stfu!!"
7. All the time I see this, not always directed at me, but others, I think its wrong.
8. Later, I will respond to a vet who claims to be superior to me, working on his second masters degree, and he thinks I'm some grill master cooking burgers and fries, perfect example as to what I'm talking about.
9. I am actually a CEO of a Corporation...:badgrin:
10. But never mind that, I'm not wanting to look as though I'm dropping the *ceo card*, but it is true, but why would I care if you believed me, there are thousands of ceo's in this country, its no big deal really.
10. Now don't start attacking all ceo's because I said I was one, I am sure you don't believe me, so lets just leave it there, and you can see now that I said I was a ceo, you automatically want to discount what I'm saying, because I just did what the vets do, spring board my words off who or what I am, or have experienced, it really doesn't give me any advantage in this debate to bring it up, but I did it anyway, just to prove a point.
11. No one should give you any advantage over your supposed advantage of serving in our military.
12. As no would should give me any advantage over the *FACT* I am a ceo of a Corporation either.
1. This is a level play ground here at this debate site, and that shall never change.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Up front: I didn't serve.

Being in the military gives a unique perspective on foreign policy and national defense, much like owning a business, teaching, serving as a minister, etc, give you a unique insight into those related topics. I hold a Ph'D in Mathematics. If you have a math question, I can usually give a fairly competent answer. If the topic is the state of education at the undergraduate or graduate level, I can usually say something insightful about it. If the topic is global warming, my opinion is just as valid as any other person without a relevant degree, and probably worth less than an expert in meteorology or climatology.

That's just how it is. If you've actively pursued something, experience gives insight. If my doctor says my cough is bronchitis and my minister says it's not, guess which one I'll listen to.

Now, I do not think that a vet will necessarily have greater insight into domestic issues. On such topics I'll give them the respect they deserve for putting their lives on the line for the country, but I'll count their opinion as pretty much equal to anyone else's.

The one issue is that the nature of an electronic bulletin board is that everyone is fairly equally full of BS. As others have said, I have a LOT of doubt about many of the folks here that say they've served or owned a business, and indeed many of them have been outed as liars.

Sorry bout that,

Lincoln and Roosevelt II never saw military service. Lincoln was elected the captain of his local militia, but it went no where and did nothing but try and lynch a random indian that wandered too close to their camp. Lincoln talked them out of it.

Roosevelt II served as secretary of the Navy in the Wilson Administration.

Some folks with very good service records left a lot to be desired in politics. George McGovern did 30+ bombing raids during WWII before being shot down. Him being president... I am so glad he lost. Bush 1 was another aviation hero till he was also shot down. Record as POTUS was not so good.

1. Ahhh,..hummmm,..am I not supposed to be on your iggy list?:D
2. This topic IS about dropping the *vet card* sure you have some great points if this was about past presidents who never actually dodge bullets in a war.
3. So where do you stand on vets who drop the *vet card*?
4. I bet you are one who has to run and hide under the bed when one does that eh?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Up front: I didn't serve.

Being in the military gives a unique perspective on foreign policy and national defense, much like owning a business, teaching, serving as a minister, etc, give you a unique insight into those related topics. I hold a Ph'D in Mathematics. If you have a math question, I can usually give a fairly competent answer. If the topic is the state of education at the undergraduate or graduate level, I can usually say something insightful about it. If the topic is global warming, my opinion is just as valid as any other person without a relevant degree, and probably worth less than an expert in meteorology or climatology.

That's just how it is. If you've actively pursued something, experience gives insight. If my doctor says my cough is bronchitis and my minister says it's not, guess which one I'll listen to.

Now, I do not think that a vet will necessarily have greater insight into domestic issues. On such topics I'll give them the respect they deserve for putting their lives on the line for the country, but I'll count their opinion as pretty much equal to anyone else's.

The one issue is that the nature of an electronic bulletin board is that everyone is fairly equally full of BS. As others have said, I have a LOT of doubt about many of the folks here that say they've served or owned a business, and indeed many of them have been outed as liars.

This is pretty much the stance I take on this whole thing. I'm not a mathematician but as a physicist I share your love of the subject. :)

As far as innocent detainees, im sure there are, and they have the potential to be collateral damage, but lets not act like there should be an equal system of justice people in our country and al qaeda.

Sorry bout that,

The so called RESPECT and admiration that this board professes for VETERANS is largely bullshit.

You must already know that, right?

This board is loaded with chickenhawks who are mostly trying to glom off the respect that we ought to give VETS.

I read some of the blather some people here (who identify themselves as veterans) and I have my doubts about their veracity.

My guess is about half the so called vets here aren't

Yeah, it always amazes me how many people on this board claim to have

a. seen action

and

b. own their own businesses.

Frankly, I think most of them are full of shit.

1. Sure both droppings are just that, useless, if a vet drops the *vet card* he is lessened from a stand point of debate.
2. Likewise, if I drop the *ceo card* same thing happens, we all know that.
3. Its just how things stack up on a debate site.
4. We all do it to a degree, but does it help our side of the debate, usually not.
5. Most often not, I only do it because I know no one will believe me, and I get a chuckle out of it.
6. But the vets actually use the *vet card* in order to win a debate, and they do it often too.
7. I never use my status as a ceo to win anything here, it usually opens me up to ridicule, but that too gives me a chuckle.:badgrin:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

Some have been out of this country, been in war, experienced other cultures and the experience gives them a unique point of view that those whom haven't served just cannot understand.

1. Sure some have learned much by being in the military, other not so much, ones rank at the end of their service usually proclaims how much they have actually learned from serving, a, ****General usually has a larger part of wisdom and experience than does a, private second class.
2. But how many **** General's post here?
3. My guess would be none.:badgrin:
4. So why is it we always still get the *vet card* thrown down ALL the time?:mad:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

thats ok Slick, i think there should be a constitutional ammendment that only veterens can vote.

a person should HAVE to have put it on the line to get a say so in how the show works as far as I am concerned.

I think there should be a constitutional amendment forbidding draft dodging chickenhawks from campaigning for POTUS on a platform of unilateral foreign war. Not that our foreign wars aren't already unconstitutional but maybe it needs to be reemphasized before someone starts WWIII.

As a Vet....go fuck yourself.

I know and did more than you, so I have an experienced opinion on national defense and foreign policy compared to a dunce like you. I also know things that you will never know with your Burger King job.

If I want advice on the way to make french fries, I'll ask you.

Oh, I'm working on my second Masters degree, so you're a mental midget compared to me.

Sorry bout that,

1. So I am always hearing how some vets have some imagined upper ground on their political views, I call bullshit.
2. I appreciate you folks who have answered the call to serve in the military, but why do you think it gives you folks the right to bash other with your duty of serving, when I was of age, there was no wars to join in to fight anyway.
3. You served, thanks!
4. Now stfu about how you think you are better than us who didn't.
5. I myself have listened to a lot of you vets, and I can assure you most of you vets are stupid as a rock.
6. But some make good sense, and I give you props for that, but I get really anal with all this crap, and your sense of entitlement to some over measure of respect, when you don't deserve it based on what you write here.
7. So some of you bastards can simply blow it out your fucking asses.
8. Others who deserve respect, you shall get some, but not because you served, you will get my respect for what kind of logic you use, and how I feel about what I gather from you, not about you being a vet, *at all*.
9. So if you are a scruffy mofo here, and you happen to be a vet, you will feel my wrath, just like any other schmuck here.
10. Get used to it, there is no *vet card*, we all are under the same rules here.
11. No offense.:badgrin:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Why not just get the Doctorate? Too tough for you :( :lol:

Sorry bout that,

1. Sure some have learned much by being in the military, other not so much, ones rank at the end of their service usually proclaims how much they have actually learned from serving, a, ****General usually has a larger part of wisdom and experience than does a, private second class.
2. But how many **** General's post here?
3. My guess would be none.:badgrin:
4. So why is it we always still get the *vet card* thrown down ALL the time?:mad:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

shows what you DONT know.

generals dont know shit.

you want to know how any organization runs? dont ask the guy at the top, ask the guy at the bottom, he is the one that does all the work

Sorry bout that,

Many times I have been accused of lying when I tell people that I served, it's almost like they cannot imagine that someone with liberal views could ever have been in, there is a good reason for that. The people who did the best were those who were accepting of arbitrary authority figures, like conservatives, I never could so I got out and and got a real job.

1. Its because you dropped the, *vet card* and posters on a debate site get sick of seeing the damned *vet card*.
2. No offense now, but it does get really fucking old.
3. Why do you think that dropping the *vet card* gives a validation to what your point is?
4. Really its time you take a look at this, it will serve you well as you get older, old vets are the worst about using the *vet card* all too often.
5. So you tried the military and it wasn't for you, so you packed your bags and headed back into civilian life, which is fine and dandy, but you are sorta slamming these vets who stayed the course and made a career of it, they too had a real job, in some sorts, but they surely didn't have to worry about getting fired, which I think thats what you are saying here.
6. In my opinion, Honorable Vets who serve well never drop the *vet card*, they don't tarnish their service by dropping it, or using it for some pointless advantage on a debate site.:badgrin:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Last edited:
Sorry bout that,

Many times I have been accused of lying when I tell people that I served, it's almost like they cannot imagine that someone with liberal views could ever have been in, there is a good reason for that. The people who did the best were those who were accepting of arbitrary authority figures, like conservatives, I never could so I got out and and got a real job.
So in effect you're saying that defense of this nation and the Constitution isn't a real job?

Point of fact? Defending this Republic, it's freedoms granted under the Constitution is the job of every citizen. As it stands to date? There are too many too willing to destroy it.

~Go figure.

1. There is a political party that wants to destroy this Republic, its the *liberal party*.:mad:
2. But that is another topic eh folks?:badgrin:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Listen up Slick.

if we are talkign about life in bangladesh, I will know more than you since i ave been there, When was i there you might ask?

when i was in the service.

when we discuss dont ask dont tell, my opinion will be more eduucated and bear more weight, since i have been in the military than someone who hasnt been in

it is just the way it is Slick

you cant tell a mother that her opinion inn child birth is no more valid than yours......

LOL now ChesswarsNut thinks he is a CEO of a corporation :lol:

The guy can barely write a coherent sentence and definitely doesn't know how to spell half the words he writes.

The only CEO corporation he heads up is his parents lawn mower he pushes around the neighborhood trying to find yards to mow for beer and cigarette money. :lol: :cuckoo:

A veteran has had more exposure to other cultures than someone who has never left the states.

A veteran knows more about the tactics and logistics used in the military than the average civilian.

A veteran knows a lot of things about the military.

So a vet can be a legitimate authority on certain military subjects and their input should be given the appropriate weight.

But one should also realize the difference between opinion and first-hand knowledge. A New Hampshire resident may know more about New Hampshire than the rest of us, but their opinion on New Hampshire politics is not authoritative, just informed.

So it is with us military vets.

Sorry bout that,

So in effect you're saying that defense of this nation and the Constitution isn't a real job?

Point of fact? Defending this Republic, it's freedoms granted under the Constitution is the job of every citizen. As it stands to date? There are too many too willing to destroy it.

~Go figure.

All I did in the Army was help Reagan/Bush spend money by doing repetitive, useless tasks. Damned right it was not a real job in that peacetime spendfest where we all knew any war we were likely to have would be over in minutes and none of us would survive.

1. Everyone should know that the military is full of redundancy.
2. Why,.... that is happens to be redundant.
3. No one can actually answer the question,..... so it just keeps getting asked over and over again, redundantly........:badgrin:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

why is there redundancy in the military?

do i even have to explain this?

ok, for the slow kids

tasks are repetitive so that the people doing the task learn to do it the same way, every time. that increased productivity

there is redundancy so that when one system, one person, one officer get blown into little pieces, the whole can carry on, because several people know each job

DUH

Forum List

Back