What makes me a conservative?

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
1- Government should make no rules that would destroy the fabric of the institution of Marriage as it is defined in the Old and New Testaments.

As you are all aware, I am against gay marriage in any way shape or form. While I would have a problem with the government making rules to change marriage, I would fully support the government amending the constitution to protect marriage.

2- That survival or prospertiy is up to the individual and is not the responsibility of State or Federal Government.

Too many liberals expect the government to coddle them. I'm tired of hearing the whining from so many that the government doesn't do enough to protect the poor. Remove social services. I'm tired of paying the leeches their way through life.

3- I support 'war'

I believe sometimes force is necessary to make the world a better place. I don't believe appeasement makes us better, only weaker.

4- I am against abortion

I think abortion should be regulated and only be made available in extreme cases (rape, incest, health of the mother, non-curable deformity or disease). Anyone that uses abortion as birth control should receive jail time and/or a hefty fine. Men should also be given a 50% share in the decision process.

5- Health care

See #2 above, it's not the responsibility of the rich to support the needy. Government should work to make healthcare affordable and accessible to the needy, but should not be funded by the rich.

6- Taxes

A flat tax should be created. Income level should not fluctuate a tax bracket to assist the poor. The tax percentage shuold be the same for all individuals regardless of income.

7- Gun ownership, 2nd amendment

Unless you are a felon, you have the right to own a gun.

8- Capital punishment

There are many undesirables in this world that we would do better without. I can think of better things to do with the money than spend it on career scumbags.

That's it for now. :)

Acludem, notice the list of specifics and lack of glittering generalities in jimmy's statement. Now go redo yours and make it less dumb.

I think the main difference been conservatives and liberals is that conservatives want to preserve the Constitution and the law and liberals want to "free" us from the Constitution and law so we can be ruled by the truly knowledgible, whom they have appointed as themselves.

Freedom without law is impossible. Which is why the continual attack on the rule of law is an attack on our freedoms.

1- Government should make no rules that would destroy the fabric of the institution of Marriage as it is defined in the Old and New Testaments.

I don't think gays and lesbians could screw up the institution of marriage any worse than us heterosexuals already have.

2- That survival or prospertiy is up to the individual and is not the responsibility of State or Federal Government.

As long as money continues to buy favortism and preference in our country, there is no fair opportunity to be had for those without it. I believe the government should ensure that that fair opportunity exists. What an individual does with it after that is their responsibility.

3- I support 'war'

Force is a necessary evil while most of the world is still in the dark ages. Hopefully that will change within my lifetime.

4- I am against abortion

While I don't like abortion, it is not my (or anyone elses) function to control what people do with their body or limit their choices and freedoms. I am comfortable with the current laws as they provide a somewhat happy medium. If a person can't decide in the first three months, then they deserve to carry to term.

5- Health care

Medical Malpractice as a reason for high cost health care is a crock of shit. Other than insurance companies having a monopolistic scam that's legal, I think it would work in a fair and free market

again, the GoV should not cater loopholes to the wealthy nor to special interests.

7- Gun ownership, 2nd amendment

I like my guns. ;)

8- Capital punishment

As long as its applied fairly, judiciously, and without prejudice or malice I'm all for this.

People can make it without being born rich. It happens everyday.

Medical Malpractice is a major reason for the high cost of healthcare. We need caps and tort reform.

Your other views are decent!

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
I don't think gays and lesbians could screw up the institution of marriage any worse than us heterosexuals already have.

This is the only point you made that I would like to respond to. Yes, heterosexuals have at times made a mockery of marriage and the divorce rate is much too high. There is plenty of room for improvement amongst the current status of marriage.

I don't believe the existence of current problems is a valid argument for allowing further problems.

Allow civil unions and preserve the sanctity of marriage. Everyone then gets what they want.

As long as money continues to buy favortism and preference in our country, there is no fair opportunity to be had for those without it. I believe the government should ensure that that fair opportunity exists. What an individual does with it after that is their responsibility.

I would have to agree with RWA on this point. While having capital may increase ones oppurtunity, none the less there still exsists oppurtunity for people.

If you think you are beaten, you are;
If you think you dare not, you don't.
If you'd like to win, but think you can't
It's almost a cinch you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you've lost.
For out in the world we find
Success begins with a fellow's will:
It's all in his state of mind.

If you think you're outclassed, you are:
You've got to think high to rise,
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You'll ever win that prize.

Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But sooner or later the man who wins
Is the one who thinks he can.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr

yes it does, it could happen with even greater frequency if the playing field were level, instead of stacked in favor of special interests and wealth.

Medical Malpractice is a major reason for the high cost of healthcare. We need caps and tort reform.

wrong. sorry, but you're wrong. Malpractice suits are just a mere fraction of the reason costs are high. It is my belief that if you held insurance companies to some accountability as well as keep the government and special interests out of medical care, you would see the costs come hurtling down to decent levels. Health insurance is a legal scam, period. Everyone wants a piece of the government pie, so to speak.

I'd say I'm glad you approve, but I just don't care enough ;)

Originally posted by MtnBiker
I would have to agree with RWA on this point. While having capital may increase ones oppurtunity, none the less there still exsists oppurtunity for people.

I said nothing about having capital to increase an opportunity, I'm talking about removing the opportunity by people with capital. In other words, conglomerates like Wal-Mart shouldn't be allowed to strike monopolistic deals with suppliers to drive out the competition.

yes it does, it could happen with even greater frequency if the playing field were level, instead of stacked in favor of special interests and wealth.

wrong. sorry, but you're wrong. Malpractice suits are just a mere fraction of the reason costs are high. It is my belief that if you held insurance companies to some accountability as well as keep the government and special interests out of medical care, you would see the costs come hurtling down to decent levels. Health insurance is a legal scam, period. Everyone wants a piece of the government pie, so to speak.

I'd say I'm glad you approve, but I just don't care enough ;)

Level the playing field aka punish and villainize the successful, yep.

Malpractice suits are the main reason costs are too high.

Level the playing field aka punish and villainize the successful, yep.

your limited mind prevents you from seeing the truth. thats ok grasshopper, soon you shall see the light.

Malpractice suits are the main reason costs are too high.

I told you, you're wrong. accept it. ;)

your limited mind prevents you from seeing the truth. thats ok grasshopper, soon you shall see the light.

I told you, you're wrong. accept it. ;)

so sez u.

I said nothing about having capital to increase an opportunity, I'm talking about removing the opportunity by people with capital. In other words, conglomerates like Wal-Mart shouldn't be allowed to strike monopolistic deals with suppliers to drive out the competition.

I assumed you were speaking of individuals not conglomerates. And I would classify money as capital.

Let's assume you are a manufacturer of a product. One that you would like to have a national distribution of and your purpose of being in business is to make profit. One distributor, one with national distribution and proven sales history, approaches you to carry your product exclusively. Then another distributor approaches you, one with less coverage and less sales history. Given the fact that you are in business to make a profit which distributor do you choose?

But wait, that choice is the key. Let's all be thankful that a manufacturer has that choice instead of a government policy that would limit a business to make profit.

Hey everyone!

RWA just made himself out to be a "liberal"!

Originally posted by MtnBiker
I assumed you were speaking of individuals not conglomerates. And I would classify money as capital.

Let's assume you are a manufacturer of a product. One that you would like to have a national distribution of and your purpose of being in business is to make profit. One distributor, one with national distribution and proven sales history, approaches you to carry your product exclusively. Then another distributor approaches you, one with less coverage and less sales history. Given the fact that you are in business to make a profit which distributor do you choose?

But wait, that choice is the key. Let's all be thankful that a manufacturer has that choice instead of a government policy that would limit a business to make profit.

if the manufacturer chooses to deal with only one company, thats great. thats the manufacturers choice. I was referring to incidents like Microsoft negotiating lower prices for licensing as long as Gateway refrains from making Linux boxes or Walmart telling a pickle maker that they can only use walmart and walmart will buy all their stock. Isn't that what they call monopolistic practices or anti-competitiveness?

Most of healthcare expendature is for frivolous stuff not required:

Pain pills such as extra stength tylenol
Flu shots
Cold medicine
(overperscribed) antibiotics
etc...

These drove healthcare costs up 14% in one year alone.....which I THINK was the year before last.

If people only used the system for necessities instead of frivoulous stuff, we would keep costs down. It is a pool like social security. When everyone draws from it, costs have to be covered and prices go up.

If lawsuits were responsible for the prices, why would the medical PROFESSIONALS need insurance? That has nothing to do with the cost of INSURANCE.

if the manufacturer chooses to deal with only one company, thats great. thats the manufacturers choice. I was referring to incidents like Microsoft negotiating lower prices for licensing as long as Gateway refrains from making Linux boxes or Walmart telling a pickle maker that they can only use walmart and walmart will buy all their stock. Isn't that what they call monopolistic practices or anti-competitiveness?

Well I must say I'm not quite sure about your Microsoft example, however you contradict yourself with the Walmart example. It is just as I said a manufacturer (the pickle maker) chooses to go with one distributor (Walmart), however the distributor can request in contract an exclusive deal. The pickle maker does not have to sign such a contract and choose to sell his product through other avenues. But forgo his oppurtunity to use the distributor (Walmart).

Mine was philosophical rather than a specific statement of a political agenda. I did mention a few specific issues, but mine was more about the philosophy of liberalism. Jimmy's list looks like the Repubican platform, I'm not surprised. I fully respect his views, even if I disagree with them.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
Mine was philosophical rather than a specific statement of a political agenda. I did mention a few specific issues, but mine was more about the philosophy of liberalism. Jimmy's list looks like the Repubican platform, I'm not surprised. I fully respect his views, even if I disagree with them.

acludem

No. You just stuck together a bunch of glittering generalities.. That's what libs do. A lot of sentences that sound nice and "right", but which are proven not to be the guiding principles of liberals in government by any substantive measure or indicator, like a voting record, for instance. Sorry if this is harsh. Don't get "Shaken Baby Syndrome" over it. This is meant to make you a better person.

Forum List

Back