What makes me a conservative?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jimnyc, Apr 30, 2004.

1. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    1- Government should make no rules that would destroy the fabric of the institution of Marriage as it is defined in the Old and New Testaments.

As you are all aware, I am against gay marriage in any way shape or form. While I would have a problem with the government making rules to change marriage, I would fully support the government amending the constitution to protect marriage.

2- That survival or prospertiy is up to the individual and is not the responsibility of State or Federal Government.

Too many liberals expect the government to coddle them. I'm tired of hearing the whining from so many that the government doesn't do enough to protect the poor. Remove social services. I'm tired of paying the leeches their way through life.

3- I support 'war'

I believe sometimes force is necessary to make the world a better place. I don't believe appeasement makes us better, only weaker.

4- I am against abortion

I think abortion should be regulated and only be made available in extreme cases (rape, incest, health of the mother, non-curable deformity or disease). Anyone that uses abortion as birth control should receive jail time and/or a hefty fine. Men should also be given a 50% share in the decision process.

5- Health care

See #2 above, it's not the responsibility of the rich to support the needy. Government should work to make healthcare affordable and accessible to the needy, but should not be funded by the rich.

6- Taxes

A flat tax should be created. Income level should not fluctuate a tax bracket to assist the poor. The tax percentage shuold be the same for all individuals regardless of income.

7- Gun ownership, 2nd amendment

Unless you are a felon, you have the right to own a gun.

8- Capital punishment

There are many undesirables in this world that we would do better without. I can think of better things to do with the money than spend it on career scumbags.

That's it for now. :)

2. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Acludem, notice the list of specifics and lack of glittering generalities in jimmy's statement. Now go redo yours and make it less dumb.

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,205
    I think the main difference been conservatives and liberals is that conservatives want to preserve the Constitution and the law and liberals want to "free" us from the Constitution and law so we can be ruled by the truly knowledgible, whom they have appointed as themselves.

Freedom without law is impossible. Which is why the continual attack on the rule of law is an attack on our freedoms.

4. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I don't think gays and lesbians could screw up the institution of marriage any worse than us heterosexuals already have.

As long as money continues to buy favortism and preference in our country, there is no fair opportunity to be had for those without it. I believe the government should ensure that that fair opportunity exists. What an individual does with it after that is their responsibility.

Force is a necessary evil while most of the world is still in the dark ages. Hopefully that will change within my lifetime.

While I don't like abortion, it is not my (or anyone elses) function to control what people do with their body or limit their choices and freedoms. I am comfortable with the current laws as they provide a somewhat happy medium. If a person can't decide in the first three months, then they deserve to carry to term.

Medical Malpractice as a reason for high cost health care is a crock of shit. Other than insurance companies having a monopolistic scam that's legal, I think it would work in a fair and free market

again, the GoV should not cater loopholes to the wealthy nor to special interests.

I like my guns. ;)

As long as its applied fairly, judiciously, and without prejudice or malice I'm all for this.

5. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    People can make it without being born rich. It happens everyday.

Medical Malpractice is a major reason for the high cost of healthcare. We need caps and tort reform.

Your other views are decent!

6. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    This is the only point you made that I would like to respond to. Yes, heterosexuals have at times made a mockery of marriage and the divorce rate is much too high. There is plenty of room for improvement amongst the current status of marriage.

I don't believe the existence of current problems is a valid argument for allowing further problems.

Allow civil unions and preserve the sanctity of marriage. Everyone then gets what they want.

7. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I would have to agree with RWA on this point. While having capital may increase ones oppurtunity, none the less there still exsists oppurtunity for people.

8. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    If you think you are beaten, you are;
    If you think you dare not, you don't.
    If you'd like to win, but think you can't
    It's almost a cinch you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you've lost.
    For out in the world we find
    Success begins with a fellow's will:
    It's all in his state of mind.

If you think you're outclassed, you are:
    You've got to think high to rise,
    You've got to be sure of yourself before
    You'll ever win that prize.

Life's battles don't always go
    To the stronger or faster man,
    But sooner or later the man who wins
    Is the one who thinks he can.

9. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    yes it does, it could happen with even greater frequency if the playing field were level, instead of stacked in favor of special interests and wealth.

wrong. sorry, but you're wrong. Malpractice suits are just a mere fraction of the reason costs are high. It is my belief that if you held insurance companies to some accountability as well as keep the government and special interests out of medical care, you would see the costs come hurtling down to decent levels. Health insurance is a legal scam, period. Everyone wants a piece of the government pie, so to speak.

I'd say I'm glad you approve, but I just don't care enough ;)

10. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I said nothing about having capital to increase an opportunity, I'm talking about removing the opportunity by people with capital. In other words, conglomerates like Wal-Mart shouldn't be allowed to strike monopolistic deals with suppliers to drive out the competition.