What Makes Indiana's Religious-Freedom Law Different? Mostly TWO Provisions!

So you enjoy ruining other people's lives?

So you enjoy watching people be lynched?

Argumentum ad abusrdum, the refuge of the lazy twat.

And your side is the one wanting to do the "lynching" here, you just don't see it.

Yes. That was the point I was making. I'm glad you got it.

That you are the descendants of Bull Connor, and all those segregationist twats? Yes, I see that.

Ahhh... so you didn't get it. Oh well. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. In any case, have a nice flight. I hope you find freedom someplace.

No I got it. I get that you are a nanny state fucktard.

It's amazing what people will accept under the guise of legality. Nobody can be deprived of essentials. Due process or basic utilities or housing. But frivolous shit like dresses, cakes or WHO CARES? If A business doesn't want to provide that service, for what ever reason, that is up to THEM. If they want to cater to a certain group, what is the big problem? isn't this all about freedom anyway? Not the dictates of what ever group, period. Get over it.

The only reason you can't be deprived of essentials is because it is against the law. So we have established you believe the state has the obligation to prevent discrimination and we are just talking about degree. Understand that I am not disagreeing with you. I consider this concept of "all or nothing" to be absurd. At some point we have to ask "where is the harm?" If there is none or minimal, then there is no compelling reason for the state to intercede.
There is no obligation for the state to prevent discrimination, and there is an obligation for the state to mandate discrimination against gays, to protect everyone from their sickening perversion.

What I truly love about this country is that someone can be as mind bogglying wrong as you and still be able to speak their mind. It is a true testament to what freedom actually is. Thank you for sharing.

I don't agree with that last bit. I think there is a compelling state interest to prevent people from being banned from obtaining goods and services just because of who they are. OTOH, I am not convinced this needs to be all encompassing. I can certainly see that a grocery store should not be allowed to discriminate, or an apartment complex..., but a flower arranger? There should be some rational line if you are going to decide one person's rights are more important than another person's rights. This is not a one sided issue.

A right or a Liberty doesn't depend on whether someone agrees or approves.

A private business should have the right to serve anyone they want to or not to serve them. They should have that right but they also have to suffer the consequences of their decisions. That includes boycotts and loss of business. Certainly they should have the right to not be forced to operate in a manner that conflicts with their religion.

No. I don't think so. A business opens its doors to the public and accepts the benefits of the community in doing so. It gets police and fire protection, which is paid for out of public coffers paid by everyone - not just the people it wants to do business with. It takes advantage of public roads, water, sewer and power. It derives its business from the community and owes a duty back to the community. If it wants to confine its business to a select group, then it needs to be a private club. Otherwise, open to the public means exactly that.

Bull shit. That is no different than the individual. The owners get those benefits wether they own a business or not.

One does not have a right to another person's life or time or effort. Otherwise why would they have to pay for something they have a right to.

In a free country, a business owner has the right to refuse to do business with anyone.
Except in housing.

He should.
Landlords discriminate against senior citizens on Social Security and disabled veterans coming back from the Middle East wars, who are living on VA disability. They do this by having minimum income requirements of 3 X the rent, which we all know is ridiculous. They just want to have a young, hip, cool crowd on their properties, and don't want to see a bunch of "blue hairs" , wheelchairs, and artificial limbs, around the pool. No they should NOT do this, and there should be legislation to stop this discrimination against elders and disabled vets, masquerading as something economic.

It's amazing what people will accept under the guise of legality. Nobody can be deprived of essentials. Due process or basic utilities or housing. But frivolous shit like dresses, cakes or WHO CARES? If A business doesn't want to provide that service, for what ever reason, that is up to THEM. If they want to cater to a certain group, what is the big problem? isn't this all about freedom anyway? Not the dictates of what ever group, period. Get over it.

The only reason you can't be deprived of essentials is because it is against the law. So we have established you believe the state has the obligation to prevent discrimination and we are just talking about degree. Understand that I am not disagreeing with you. I consider this concept of "all or nothing" to be absurd. At some point we have to ask "where is the harm?" If there is none or minimal, then there is no compelling reason for the state to intercede.
There is no obligation for the state to prevent discrimination, and there is an obligation for the state to mandate discrimination against gays, to protect everyone from their sickening perversion.

What I truly love about this country is that someone can be as mind bogglying wrong as you and still be able to speak their mind. It is a true testament to what freedom actually is. Thank you for sharing.
What I truly love about this country is that someone can be as mind bogglying wrong as you, and still be able to speak their mind. It is a true testament to what freedom actually is. Thank you for sharing

If you have a close family member or friend who is LGBT - do you patronize businesses that don't serve them? I don't.

If you have a close family member or friend who is LGBT - do you patronize businesses that don't serve them? I don't.

Like I said elsewhere, neither do I. That's my right. In fact, I consider it an obligation to act on my morals and values. Should the business owner have the same right? Or should neither of us have it?

Like I said elsewhere, neither do I. That's my right. In fact, I consider it an obligation to act on my morals and values. Should the business owner have the same right? Or should neither of us have it?

In a medical emergency - should a doctor refuse to treat you because you're a flaming bigot? Or, should s/he go ahead and treat you - but just do a sloppy job? If you were in a car wreck on a remote highway and needing immediate help, and a busload of "queers" came alone - would you want their help?

In a medical emergency - should a doctor refuse to treat you because you're a flaming bigot? Or, should s/he go ahead and treat you - but just do a sloppy job? If you were in a car wreck on a remote highway and needing immediate help, and a busload of "queers" came alone - would you want their help?

Good God. DBlack is not a bigot. He has a specific political view and he is totally consistent with it. He's probably one of least hypocritical people on this board. Just try to pay attention to what people write and stop letting your personal prejudice do your thinking for you.

You can't equate emergency medical service with a non-essential contracted service/product that can easily be gotten from another source with minimal additional effort.

The cake is a lie. If you love someone, good for you. If you love your cat, great. Nobody here in America is going to threaten you or hurt you. But if we don't want to sell you wedding flowers or a cake or do wedding photos, man up. Go somewhere else...hint hint. AND, remarkably, here is a business opportunity. Businesses that cater to gays. Put up and shut up. Enough of the homosexual whining. Those that can. DO, those that can't just bitch. And protest...

Interestingly, this is exactly the same argument made about blacks (those damned uppity "Ns"). 'They have their own water cooler, they don't need to drink from ours'. Sadly, bigots can't see themselves being bigots. But everyone else does. Does that make you happy?

What part of "this law does not discriminate" do you not understand?

It most certainly does. Sorry, you are wrong.

How? Show it to me in the law itself. Not from a blog or a media report, but the law.

All you have to do is look back at the Jim Crow south to see where this and any law like it is leading us. Do I need to draw you a picture?

The cake is a lie. If you love someone, good for you. If you love your cat, great. Nobody here in America is going to threaten you or hurt you. But if we don't want to sell you wedding flowers or a cake or do wedding photos, man up. Go somewhere else...hint hint. AND, remarkably, here is a business opportunity. Businesses that cater to gays. Put up and shut up. Enough of the homosexual whining. Those that can. DO, those that can't just bitch. And protest...

Interestingly, this is exactly the same argument made about blacks (those damned uppity "Ns"). 'They have their own water cooler, they don't need to drink from ours'. Sadly, bigots can't see themselves being bigots. But everyone else does. Does that make you happy?

How? Show it to me in the law itself. Not from a blog or a media report, but the law.

All you have to do is look back at the Jim Crow south to see where this and any law like it is leading us. Do I need to draw you a picture?

Jim Crow was government mandated, which makes it far more common to current efforts to force people to enter agreements they don't want to than efforts to allow freedom of choice (ironic) for business owners.

Yes. As opposed to the way it used to be. I still remember the way it used to be and you bet I am clapping along in utter joy. If that bothers you, I can't say I'm concerned about it. If it really bothers you, I understand the lack of discrimination applies to airlines as well.

So let me get this straight. It ruins people lives to sell a product to someone they don't like? They are compensated for the product just like any other business transaction. So where is the harm?

The harm is when government can fine the $15,000 a pop when they don't sell said product.

You don;t consider that harm?

People who discriminate against others based on their own bigotry deserve nothing less than a hefty fine.

So basically toss away a person's freedoms due to your proposed moral structure.

Discrimination against others is not a right. It can only be wrong.

What white right wing Christians really long for:

50GS-11.2.jpg

laundry.jpg

irony-jesus.jpg

arizona-alabama-mississippi-jim-crow-laws_1.jpg

restrooms.jpg

So let me get this straight. It ruins people lives to sell a product to someone they don't like? They are compensated for the product just like any other business transaction. So where is the harm?

The harm is when government can fine the $15,000 a pop when they don't sell said product.

People who discriminate against others based on their own bigotry deserve nothing less than a hefty fine.

So basically toss away a person's freedoms due to your proposed moral structure.

50GS-11.2.jpg

laundry.jpg

irony-jesus.jpg

restrooms.jpg

All I know is I don't, and I don't want a government that can force someone to either perform a service they don't want, or pay a fine/go out of business.

and if you notice, your first picture is "by order of the police department". Thats government sponsored bigotry, which you want replaced by government sponsored oppression.

Thirty law professors who are experts in religious freedom wrote in February that the Indiana law does not “mirror the language of the federal RFRA” and “will… create confusion, conflict, and a wave of litigation that will threaten the clarity of religious liberty rights in Indiana while undermining the state’s ability to enforce other compelling interests.

The Big Lie The Media Tells About Indiana’s New ‘Religious Freedom’ Law

Thirty law professors who are experts in religious freedom should know what they're talking about. Read their letter.
Oh yeah man. They "know what they're talking about." They're good at demanding tolerance for homos, all the while that they blast machine gun fire at the very idea of tolerance for Christians, and those who wish to not have the whims of sex perverts imposed upon them. Do these fools have any idea how blatantly stupid they look ? I mean really.

PHEEEEEEEEEEWWW!!! (high-pitched whistle, eyes rolling around in head)
wtf20.gif
thinking.gif
f_whistle.gif
rolleyes21.gif
geez.gif

How is purchasing a cake or a photograph imposing the "whims of sex perverts" on the devout? Do you have any idea how bigoted your statement looks to others? I mean really?
Very simple how it is imposing the "whims of sex perverts" on the devout. They want the cake or photograph to be homosexual. Like with 2 guys shown on the top of the wedding cake, or 2 guys (Ugh!) kissing each other in the photograph. That is having the business person participate in the sick perversion.

As for how it looks, it looks perfectly correct and not bigoted in any way. It is merely a reflection of the normal meeting the abnormal. I mean really.

First of all, you have no right to determine what is normal and what is abnormal for the rest of us. Who the hell do you think you are?

Secondly, Two adults showing their love for one another is a perversion? No sir, it is not. What is a perversion is the utter hatred and bigotry expressed by people such as yourself who apparently believe an expression of love between two consenting adults should be shunned in society. What is a perversion is to support discrimination against someone different from you in the name of your religion. And you people call yourselves Christians? There is nothing Christian about your attitude towards others. It is an attitude of intolerance that belongs in the 14th century, not the 21st. I would expect this of ISIS, not of Christian Americans. And so the question becomes what is it with you fundamentalist "Christians" and sex? Not getting enough at home so you have to play the bully to those who do? Get over yourselves already.

anne-hathaway-full.jpg
Of course I have a right to determine what is normal and what is abnormal for the rest of us.

No sir, you do not.

And who I am is one part of the American people. And who has the right to determine for ourselves what we define as normal and abnormal, and what should and shouldn't be done, is we the people.

Discrimination is not a right, not legally, not morally. It can only be wrong.

Two adults OF THE SAME SEX engaging in a sex act (that includes kissing on the lips) is ABNORMAL.

According to who? Many animals engage in it. it is quite common. Humans have always done it. Always.

And Ann Hathaway's statement is flat wrong. Homosexuality has nothing to do with love or decency. It is just a stupid, ridiculous, wrongheaded activity by fools who think they can snow everyone into accepting their lunacy. Ann would be better off to stick to making movies (in the heterosexual mode), and skip the politics.

Sounds like you need a hug.

50GS-11.2.jpg

laundry.jpg

irony-jesus.jpg

restrooms.jpg

All I know is I don't, and I don't want a government that can force someone to either perform a service they don't want, or pay a fine/go out of business.

Too late. We've always had that government. The American people demand it. Government either works for everyone, or it works for no one. Look closely at the pictures above. Is that REALLY what you want? Because if it is, I will wager that you are an enemy of the American people.

50GS-11.2.jpg

laundry.jpg

irony-jesus.jpg

restrooms.jpg

Too late. We've always had that government. The American people demand it. Government either works for everyone, or it works for no one. Look closely at the pictures above. Is that REALLY what you want? Because if it is, I will wager that you are an enemy of the American people.

I already said I don't. I also don't want a government that can force a baker to bake a cake when they don't want to for moral reasons.

Again, you confuse legally mandated segregation with personal choice.

And if it didn't, then there would be discrimination against the Christians who don't want to be forced to do what they feel are unChristian things. So is the discrimination against them less important than a discrimination against gays ?

Is it really discrimination to require people to be decent to one another? The government is mandated to Was it discrimination to pass a law that ended Jim Crow?

Read these words very carefully:

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

50GS-11.2.jpg

laundry.jpg

irony-jesus.jpg

restrooms.jpg

I already said I don't. I also don't want a government that can force a baker to bake a cake when they don't want to for moral reasons.

Again, you confuse legally mandated segregation with personal choice.

Marty, you can't have both. This law, and others like it, if left intact, will create a state of "Religious Jim Crow" in our country. And that simply cannot be allowed.

Forum List

Back