What Makes Indiana's Religious-Freedom Law Different? Mostly TWO Provisions!

The Indiana law differs substantially from the federal Religious Freedom Restoration Act, signed by President Clinton in 1993, and all other state RFRAs.

There are several important differences in the Indiana bill but the most striking is Section 9. Under that section, a “person” (which under the law includes not only an individual but also any organization, partnership, LLC, corporation, company, firm, church, religious society, or other entity) whose “exercise of religion has been substantially burdened, or is likely to be substantially burdened” can use the law as “a claim or defense… regardless of whether the state or any other governmental entity is a party to the proceeding.”

Every other Religious Freedom Restoration Act applies to disputes between a person or entity and a government. Indiana’s is the only law that explicitly applies to disputes between private citizens.* This means it could be used as a cudgel by corporations to justify discrimination against individuals that might otherwise be protected under law. Indiana trial lawyer Matt Anderson, discussing this difference, writes that the Indiana law is “more broadly written than its federal and state predecessors” and opens up “the path of least resistance among its species to have a court adjudicate it in a manner that could ultimately be used to discriminate…”

religiousfreedom-read-638x478.png

This is not a trivial distinction. Arizona enacted an RFRA that applied to actions involving the government in 2012. When the state legislature tried to expand it to purely private disputes in 2014, nationwide protests erupted and Jan Brewer, Arizona’s Republican governor, vetoed the measure.

Thirty law professors who are experts in religious freedom wrote in February that the Indiana law does not “mirror the language of the federal RFRA” and “will… create confusion, conflict, and a wave of litigation that will threaten the clarity of religious liberty rights in Indiana while undermining the state’s ability to enforce other compelling interests. This confusion and conflict will increasingly take the form of private actors, such as employers, landlords, small business owners, or corporations, taking the law into their own hands and acting in ways that violate generally applicable laws on the grounds that they have a religious justification for doing so. Members of the public will then be asked to bear the cost of their employer’s, their landlord’s, their local shopkeeper’s, or a police officer’s private religious beliefs.”

Various federal courts have differing interpretations of the scope of the federal RFRA. The Indiana law explicitly resolves all those disputes in one direction — and then goes even further.

This is evident in Section 5 of the Indiana law which provides protections to religious practices “whether or not compelled by, or central to, a system of religious belief.” So entities can seek to justify discriminatory practices based on religious practices that are fringe to their belief system.

Beyond the differences between the Indiana law and other states, many of the other states that have a RFRA also have a law that prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation. Indiana does not have one.

This is not to say the federal RFRA — and the state laws that are actually modeled after it — don’t have problems. Indeed, “Nineteen members of Congress who voted for the passage of the law in 1993 have now withdrawn their support for the federal RFRA given that it has been interpreted by the courts in ways that were not intended by the Congress at the time of the law’s passage.” Much of this rethinking was prompted by the Hobby Lobby case, where the Supreme Court expanded its interpretation of the federal RFRA to certain corporations.

Claiming that the Indiana law is just like the laws in 19 other states, however, is simply not true. Other states are following Indiana’s lead and broadening the language of the law.

Why the change? Beyond the substance, the politics of the RFRA has become much different. When the federal law was signed in 1993, it was thought “to be about benign and relatively uncontroversial matters, such as allowing Muslim jail inmates to wear closely trimmed beards, or assuring that churches could feed homeless people in public parks.” Today, Indiana’s law is driven “by the politics of anti-gay backlash. Their most ardent supporters come from an increasingly angry, marginalized, and shrill subset of Christian conservative activists.”

More: The Big Lie The Media Tells About Indiana’s New ‘Religious Freedom’ Law

Just adding some more clarity to the differences.

Doesn't answer my question. Assuming you were responding to my question.

I wasn't. Contact one of the thirty law professors in my post #8.

Are you saying it is an improvement?

The first amendment.

The 1st amendment protects the religious rights of individuals. It does not protect the religious rights of businesses because they are not people. And more to the point, it does not give businesses free reign to discriminate. The fact that both the Indiana and Arkansas governors have pulled back and reconsidered this issue is a good thing for all involved.

That is not the question you asked.

Erm, what?

You asked what gives someone the right to be a bigot. I told you. You, for example, assume anyone who doesn't want to serve a SSM wedding must be a bigot without any information on that person. The definition of a bigot is: : a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance. So your position is, by definition, bigoted. But you have the right to be a bigot under the first amendment.

I hope that clarifies it for you.

The first amendment gives you the right of freedom of speech, and the right to worship your god without government interference. Discriminating against gays (or anyone else) in commerce doesn't count as a religious right no matter what you believe. Neither a bakery nor a pizzeria is a place of worship. They are commercial enterprises that must obey the friggin law.

So the first amendment provides religious freedom only at church, got it. What made the ridiculous RWers think it meant they could live their life with religious freedom? Nonsense.

What about the right to not have your shit searched without a warrant, where does that apply? And free speech? Where can we do that?

Bull shit. That is no different than the individual. The owners get those benefits wether they own a business or not.

One does not have a right to another person's life or time or effort. Otherwise why would they have to pay for something they have a right to.

In a free country, a business owner has the right to refuse to do business with anyone.

Then I guess this is not a free country. You'll just have to live with the pain.

Yeah I'm sure YOU are fine with that but people and states like Indiana are trying to keep us from losing more freedoms.

Sigh... have you read the law? So many people have so many opinions about it but hardly any have actually read it.

Much of it, yes. Have you?

Much of it? It's only a couple of pages. I read all of it. It took about five minutes. But you only got through "much of it"?

So tell me exactly where in that law does it keep you from losing more freedoms. Post the section of the law you think does that.

The whole fucking thing dumbass.

A right or a Liberty doesn't depend on whether someone agrees or approves.

A private business should have the right to serve anyone they want to or not to serve them. They should have that right but they also have to suffer the consequences of their decisions. That includes boycotts and loss of business. Certainly they should have the right to not be forced to operate in a manner that conflicts with their religion.

No. I don't think so. A business opens its doors to the public and accepts the benefits of the community in doing so. It gets police and fire protection, which is paid for out of public coffers paid by everyone - not just the people it wants to do business with. It takes advantage of public roads, water, sewer and power. It derives its business from the community and owes a duty back to the community. If it wants to confine its business to a select group, then it needs to be a private club. Otherwise, open to the public means exactly that.

Bull shit. That is no different than the individual. The owners get those benefits wether they own a business or not.

One does not have a right to another person's life or time or effort. Otherwise why would they have to pay for something they have a right to.

In a free country, a business owner has the right to refuse to do business with anyone.
Except in housing.

He should.
Landlords discriminate against senior citizens on Social Security and disabled veterans coming back from the Middle East wars, who are living on VA disability. They do this by having minimum income requirements of 3 X the rent, which we all know is ridiculous. They just want to have a young, hip, cool crowd on their properties, and don't want to see a bunch of "blue hairs" , wheelchairs, and artificial limbs, around the pool. No they should NOT do this, and there should be legislation to stop this discrimination against elders and disabled vets, masquerading as something economic.

Bull shit. It's their property, they should be allowed to rent it to whom ever they want to, and exclude whomever they want to.

Then I guess this is not a free country. You'll just have to live with the pain.

Yeah I'm sure YOU are fine with that but people and states like Indiana are trying to keep us from losing more freedoms.

Sigh... have you read the law? So many people have so many opinions about it but hardly any have actually read it.

Much of it? It's only a couple of pages. I read all of it. It took about five minutes. But you only got through "much of it"?

So tell me exactly where in that law does it keep you from losing more freedoms. Post the section of the law you think does that.

Yeah. That was the response I expected. You just don't have a clue.

Lame dodge? That's what you are ending with? Ok.

Lame dodge? That's what you are ending with? Ok.

Yes. I am ending with the obvious. You haven't got a clue. You haven't read the law, you have no idea what it says or how it applies. If you had you could answer the question.

Politicians need to stop pandering to minority groups (like gays) at the expense of (and discriminating against) the great majority (80% of Americans are Christians)
You want Mob Rule here eh? A shame, the Founders didn't.
You want to talk about "Mob Rule" ? No problem. Here it is - in living color >>> :biggrin:

th
th
th
th

No. Those are pictures of citizens exercising their Constitutional right to assembly. You think we should trash the first amendment?
It'a not that they are protesting. It is what they are protesting, and the coercion they use, they gives them their "mob" mentality/character.

Politicians need to stop pandering to minority groups (like gays) at the expense of (and discriminating against) the great majority (80% of Americans are Christians)
You want to talk about "Mob Rule" ? No problem. Here it is - in living color >>> :biggrin:

th
th
th
th

No. Those are pictures of citizens exercising their Constitutional right to assembly. You think we should trash the first amendment?
It'a not that they are protesting. It is what they are protesting, and the coercion they use, they gives them their "mob" mentality/character.
Hating the fags, and not treating them equally, is no longer in style. That dies with your generation. Sorry.

th
th
th
th

So you believe that people have or should have a right to discriminate against one's fellow human being?

th
th
th
th

So you believe that people have or should have a right to discriminate against one's fellow human being?
What kind of a stupid, inane question is that ? We discriminate against millions of people every day in America. Landlords discriminate by ability to pay rent. Courts discriminate between guilty and not guilty defendants. We discriminate between the sane and the insane - the insane going into institutions. Employers discriminate between the qualified and unqualified. Food inspectors discriminate between the safe and unsafe. You discriminate with whom you choose as friends, and who not to be. You discriminate with whose music you choose to listen to.

Discrimination should be carefully controlled by a society. There are times it should exist, and other times and situations where it should not. There is no reason to discriminate against Christians. There is plenty of reason to discriminate against the deranged degenerates who misnomerly call themselves "gays".

Ever since the Jim Crow era, the word "discrimination" has come to be automatically regarded as something bad. This is a mental disease. I hope you get better.

Last edited:

th
th
th
th

Hating the fags, and not treating them equally, is no longer in style. That dies with your generation. Sorry.
What ever gave you that idea ? Sorry to disillusion you, but there is no reason to think that the realization that queers are queer, and not at all equal to normal people, will be any different 50 years from now, than it is now.

th
th
th
th

It's called freedom. Enjoy.

Forum List

Back