What makes crimminals?

Criminals think that the law is wrong, or there is something so special about them that the law should only apply to others.

When a criminal steals your wallet, he doesn't think it's your wallet. It's HIS wallet and your possession of his property is wrongful. He has a right to take it back.

That mentality may apply to some, but no the majority. Otherwise they'd be less inclined to flee the scene.

They flee the scene because they know they will be prosecuted under wrongful laws. They don't deny the law exists. They know it exists. They just find the law wrong. If you are poor and hungry, or really really need that next drug fix, is it really wrong to take money from someone who won't share? Doesn't the person in need have more right to money, new Nike shoes, or whatever else they want than the rich person who has that property.

A few years ago I was carjacked. The carjackers entire defense was that he was stealing cars in California to sell in mexico because he wanted to start a family business that would employ his whole family. I had a nice car, I could afford the loss, I had insurance so BIG INSURANCE would be the only real loser. Didn't his reasons for stealing my car outweigh my interest in keeping the car. Wasn't the interest in the greater good his, not mine?

Ah Katz, so full of shit as always. :clap2:

Ignoring the idiocy of the OP, what exactly are you all arguing about? What are you using to define criminals? I find it extremely likely that the majority of posters have broken laws at one time or another, even if it's something as innocuous as traffic laws. Does that make most of us criminals?

Or maybe most of you are just having fun with what was, obviously, a silly troll type thread. :tongue:

Aside from referring to one who has violated a written law, the word "criminal" is not as simple to define as some might believe. For example there is an enormous difference between someone who grows a few marijuana plants in a closet and someone who rapes, murders, or robs another.

The criminal law makes the distinction between the different categories of criminal offense and classifies them as either malum prohibitum or malum in se.

A malum in se offense, meaning represensible in itself, is one in which is generally despicable, such as murder, rape, robbery, or any offense which harms others or society in general . A malum prohibitum offense, as the term implies, refers to something which is simply prohibited by some statute, such as peacefully carrying a concealed weapon without proper licensing.

So when referring to "criminals" it is important to be specific about the type of "crime" which is referenced.

Last edited:
Ah Katz, so full of shit as always. :clap2:

Ignoring the idiocy of the OP, what exactly are you all arguing about? What are you using to define criminals? I find it extremely likely that the majority of posters have broken laws at one time or another, even if it's something as innocuous as traffic laws. Does that make most of us criminals?

Or maybe most of you are just having fun with what was, obviously, a silly troll type thread. :tongue:

He eventually got 13 years. 3 years for theft and 10 years for using a gun. I hope his ass is as big as the Lincoln Tunnel by the time he gets out.

He eventually got 13 years. 3 years for theft and 10 years for using a gun. I hope his ass is as big as the Lincoln Tunnel by the time he gets out.
If you are implicitly describing the nature of the punishment this individual should experience, presuming you know he will one day be released into society, what sort of personality do you suppose such punishment will produce?

Your comment clearly suggests you believe homosexual rape is appropriate punishment for the crime of armed robbery. This is a dangerous notion because you wouldn't want someone's child, or your own, to encounter under compromising circumstances a man who has been forcibly indoctrinated in such behavior.

A better alternative form of punishment for violent criminals is shorter terms of confinement under conditions of rigid but intelligently imposed discipline structured to habituate one in the exercise of self-control and the constraint of negative impulses.

Last edited:
The New York Times June 19, 2011

Researchers estimate that at least 100 studies have shown that genes play a role in crimes...

One gene that has been linked to violence regulates the production of the monoamine oxidase A enzyme, which controls the amount of serotonin in the brain. People with a version of the gene that produces less of the enzyme tend to be significantly more impulsive and aggressive...

In findings from a long-term study of 1,000 babies born in 1972 in a New Zealand town, Ms. Moffitt and her colleagues recently reported that the less self-control a child displayed at 3 years of age, the more likely he or she was to commit a crime more than 30 years later. Forty-three percent of the children who scored in the lowest fifth on self-control were later convicted of a crime, she said, versus 13 percent of those who scored in the highest fifth.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/20/a...ute-of-justice-conference.html?pagewanted=all

Forum List

Back