CDZ What makes a good poster?

Thanks in part to our current president, people assume that dishonesty is acceptable as long as it's for a good cause.

Assuming that your post is not dishonest, what dishonesty on the part of our current President has resulted in serious and measurable negative consequences for our country? Please be specific.

The dishonesty itself isn’t enough?

Cool. This will be a great thing to remember as we move forward; as long as the consequences of lying are not serious…it’s all good.

Would you accept such an argument from someone who works for you? Yeah, I claimed 4 hours of overtime last week…but is that really “serious”?

The president is supposed to work for us. Right?

It’s amazing how Trump supporters will go to any length to prop up the piece of garbage they voted for.

Although I agree with most of your post, cognitive scientists have determined by many studies that facts and rational arguments do not change opinions. They only polarize opinions

Intriguing.

I must be unique in that way then.

If you want to change hearts and mind, you have to establish a dialog and you can't do that by proving your adversary is wrong.

My opinion is this: Never refer to the person you are debating with as an "adversary". That only hardens them to your viewpoints... or in your words, it further "polarizes" their opinion against yours.

Furthermore, the person you are debating should not live in ignorance if facts are readily available to contradict their argument. Nor should they live in ignorance of facts. One of the worst things, I believe, is to let a person continue believing something that isn't true when there are facts and evidence to the contrary. How they handle that information is a burden for them to bear alone.

This. ^^

That's more to the point --- correcting the record. The partisan who insists on peddling mythologies isn't going to be swayed, but the third-party reader deserves to know what the reality is.
Submitting facts to set the record straight is fine. Just don't expect it to change the opinion of the person you are debating. Of course what we do on USMB is not real debating.

Yes, but again, it's a leap to assume changing the opinion of one's counterpart is the goal in the first place.

Correct.

That was Obama’s biggest error, in my view. He was under the impression for the first 3 years of his Presidency that somehow, the “best idea” would win. It was almost a comical naivety that he possessed. Trump gets it. Being factual and correct are not even goals. And you see that same motivation in his supporters. The “best idea” isn’t even a factor in most of the discussions here.

The old rule was the “best idea” wins. That isn’t the rule any more. As for the Messageboard, the rules are different for different posters. That much is clear. You see the “trump effect” at work there too.

393523999d1e76c370ef38ea86381ff6.jpg

You win hands down.

Thanks in part to our current president, people assume that dishonesty is acceptable as long as it's for a good cause.

Assuming that your post is not dishonest, what dishonesty on the part of our current President has resulted in serious and measurable negative consequences for our country? Please be specific.

Cool. This will be a great thing to remember as we move forward; as long as the consequences of lying are not serious…it’s all good.

Would you accept such an argument from someone who works for you? Yeah, I claimed 4 hours of overtime last week…but is that really “serious”?

It’s amazing how Trump supporters will go to any length to prop up the piece of garbage they voted for.

The President works for those that voted for him.

No, he works for all of us. You might not like him or the job he's doing, MAGA does not only apply to his supporters.

No, he works for all of us. You might not like him or the job he's doing, MAGA does not only apply to his supporters.

As seen in this thread, there are those that did not vote for Trump that believe he does work for them. There were those that believed Obama did not work for them.

As seen in this thread, there are those that did not vote for Trump that believe he does work for them. There were those that believed Obama did not work for them.

Your statement is accurate, no doubt there are many who do not believe Trump or Obama worked for them. But that does not mean that those people were correct. The Trump tax cuts for example, did not just benefit his supporters. Almost everybody except mostly the rich people ended up with more after tax money, whether they got it every week in their paychecks or a bigger refund doesn't matter. His policies have lead to an increase in GDP, jobs, and wages, not just for his voters but everybody. He's not imposing tariffs to benefit his side, he's trying to protect all of us from unfair and discriminatory trade practices and outright theft of IP. One can take issue with his methods and certainly his attitudes and demeanor, but to suggest he ain't working in the best interests of all Americans is crap.

Your statement is accurate, no doubt there are many who do not believe Trump or Obama worked for them. But that does not mean that those people were correct. The Trump tax cuts for example, did not just benefit his supporters. Almost everybody except mostly the rich people ended up with more after tax money, whether they got it every week in their paychecks or a bigger refund doesn't matter. His policies have lead to an increase in GDP, jobs, and wages, not just for his voters but everybody. He's not imposing tariffs to benefit his side, he's trying to protect all of us from unfair and discriminatory trade practices and outright theft of IP. One can take issue with his methods and certainly his attitudes and demeanor, but to suggest he ain't working in the best interests of all Americans is crap.

I do agree with you, some are going to like the decisions and others will not like the decisions no matter what a President does because of partisanship. I believe the Presidents work what they believe is best for the nation.

I think the goal of most posters here are to change the opinion of the person with whom they are in discussion, as unrealistic as that may be.

I have changed my opinion during discussions in the past, so it is not impossible.

Every great poster has to have a guitar

The hot girls are nice too
ce8fea265197a65ff33a7655ada56165.jpg

cc41da82fa26d25f6ee007a77f434312.jpg
Thanks for trashing the thread and showing us what you think of women. It would be just dandy, wouldn't it, if men were shown in similar poses for all the ladies here to drool over, like sex objects instead of musicians? Except that THIS IS THE CDZ and when Puppz set the tone I reported it and the goddamned mods thought it was appropriate so now we're going to have a cheesecake fest. If you want to view naked women, go to another site and leave us be, with our clothes ON, thank you very much.
(can't say it--this is the CDZ)

Thanks for trashing the thread and showing us what you think of women. It would be just dandy, wouldn't it, if men were shown in similar poses for all the ladies here to drool over, like sex objects instead of musicians? Except that THIS IS THE CDZ and when Puppz set the tone I reported it and the goddamned mods thought it was appropriate so now we're going to have a cheesecake fest. If you want to view naked women, go to another site and leave us be, with our clothes ON, thank you very much.

Go ahead and post your beefcakes

You'll find that I don't give a fuck what you post because I am not a thin skinned, perpetually offended asshole like some people here.
Okey dokey.

I think the goal of most posters here are to change the opinion of the person with whom they are in discussion, as unrealistic as that may be.

I have changed my opinion during discussions in the past, so it is not impossible.

There are a lot of people who read somebody's post and rethink their own position on the issue at hand, aside from the individual you're in a discussion with. Even though they don't post a comment, a given post may have influenced someone else just a bit, or at least given them a perspective they haven't considered. Generally, the post has to be well-thought out, logical, and free of a verbal assault. It's hard to agree with an asshole, even somebody who's on your side. For me anyway.

In other words, neither you nor Flopper can come up with a single example of how "dishonesty" on the part of our current President has resulted in serious and measurable negative consequences for our country.

Anyone else want to give it a try?

Why?

All politicians lie

Anyone past the second grade knows that

Go ahead and post your beefcakes

You'll find that I don't give a fuck what you post because I am not a thin skinned, perpetually offended asshole like some people here.
View attachment 263825

And I'm not offended

Like I said I'm not a thin skinned perpetually offended asshole like some people here
I heard you the first time. You're reported.

Nobody likes a tattletale

In other words, neither you nor Flopper can come up with a single example of how "dishonesty" on the part of our current President has resulted in serious and measurable negative consequences for our country.

Anyone else want to give it a try?

(a) it's not the topic here, and (b) your posts aren't any more important than anybody else's, ergo there's no reason to bold them.

No. Some people use logic and some use emotion. The founding fathers argued angrily even to the drastic measure of a deadly duel. Being able to distinguish important points from logic OR emotion is a talent as important as making points.
The power of accurate observation is called cynicism by people who dont have it.

There are a lot of people who read somebody's post and rethink their own position on the issue at hand, aside from the individual you're in a discussion with. Even though they don't post a comment, a given post may have influenced someone else just a bit, or at least given them a perspective they haven't considered. Generally, the post has to be well-thought out, logical, and free of a verbal assault. It's hard to agree with an asshole, even somebody who's on your side. For me anyway.

And if you do convince the other party, chances are they won't admit it. Only the courageous will do that.

Well said. The individual one is parlaying with is hardly the only one in the audience (that only applies when it degenerates to a personal flamefest), so one's point is more at the analogous 'undecided voter' than it is to the antagonist. For me it's about getting the facts out (if it's a deliberate mythology), simply because they are the facts, or if it's a case of opinion, demonstrating why that conclusion is flawed. There are any number of such antagonists who will still refuse to accept it but the point is more to honor the Truth, in general, than to change an individual antagonist's mind.

Forum List

Back