What Living in Kabul Is Really Like

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by Disir, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Disir

Disir Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,994
    Report after report points out rising civilian casualties in Afghanistan. Insurgents overrun districts and rural areas, forcing people to flee; most of them to the cities. But even in the capital, Kabul, the Taliban (and more recently also the self-declared Islamic State) frequently conduct suicide attacks. News footage from the aftermath of such attacks shows dead bodies lying on debris-strewn streets between severely damaged or destroyed houses. Watching and reading the news, Kabul seems to be more lethal war zone than city.

That’s not how Kabul, my home for almost three years, appears to me.

Many might think that as a foreigner, I am protected from the daily life of normal Afghans and its alleged dangers. Most foreigners in Kabul, after all, live in large compounds, shielded by massive concrete blast walls and guarded by myriads of armed men. And the few times they leave the shelter of their compounds, they are driven in armored cars and wear flak jackets. Not all foreigners can afford such high security measures though. But even the ones that can’t usually take special taxis for foreigners. The streets, they say, are too insecure.

I am not like this.

I don’t live in a highly secured compound. When I move around town, I usually walk. Only if it is too far will I take a car, and then certainly not an armored one or one of the expensive taxis for foreigners. I almost exclusively use mutar-i laini, the local version of public transport, which are simply cars and minibuses that drive fixed routes and are shared with random other passengers who hop in and out along the way for a fraction of the fare (usually 20 Afghani, about $0.30, per person). I don’t eat in guarded, expensive restaurants as other foreigners do. I choose tiny, shabby local places, or carts selling food in the street. I live more or less like an average Afghan. So I dare to say that I have a pretty good image of the daily life in Kabul.

And I have never – not even once – been afraid, let alone feared for my life, in the Afghan capital.
    What Living in Kabul Is Really Like

It's an interesting read written by a male living in Kabul.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. fncceo

fncceo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,879
    Who gives a fetid dingo’s kidney?

3. Disir

Disir Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,994
    Stop trolling.

4. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,486
    I have moved around in very dangerous cities-------right here in the USA-----places that
    lots of people would not consider entering and using means that many would shun completely---
    (like on foot-----or local mini-mass transport) ---------I was never afraid.---------many people have
    noted that I am very stupid.

5. TheParser

TheParser VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +645
    I thank the OP for that interesting article.

Yes, I have read that life in Kabul is quite cosmopolitan. (Of course, the story may be different outside Kabul in Taliban-held areas.)

It is truly humbling to think that maybe Kabul is safer than certain American cities when it comes to an ordinary person's personal safety.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,486
    did anyone suggest that to be true? (ie--the safe part) To which American cities do you refer? Kabul has AN ANCIENT HISTORY-------it was around as an important city even in the B.C. era-------very GRAND. ---then islam happened. Before islam happened ----the city was very diverse-----Hindu, Buddhist, Christian, Jewish and
    Zoroastrian-------a kind of hub of scholarship just like Baghdad (once was) -------then islam happened.
    The SCIENCES interfaced in Kabul-------before islam happened

7. Penelope

Penelope Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,870
    Not much unlike the poor areas here, with the Pubs in charge expect it to get much worst:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. pismoe

pismoe Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,242
    then 'islam' Happened , that seems to be the common denominator eh Rosie ?? About 1400 years of a made up religion that copied and twisted some names and parts of the religions of Judaism and Christianity eh Rosie .

9. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,486
    yeah? so? something like Pakistan, Bangla desh and even north African UMMAH places like Morocco.
    I never encountered such a city in the USA under the "PUBS" or the "DEMOS". In ancient times Kabul
    was a GRAND CITY --- then Barbur and islam happened

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  10. anotherlife

anotherlife Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,308
    Kabul can't be compared to US cities. Kabul has a department of virtue police. US cities have only gang protection collectors.