What kind of horrible, dangerous places do these people live that hey have to go out armed?

It's still up to the seller to know who he is selling to.

Nope. The seller is not required to do anything to determine whether any buyer is allowed to have a gun. You expect him to conduct his own personal background check before he makes the sale? Universal background checks would solve that part of the problem.

So tell me how many guns are sold in private sales where the seller doesn't know who he is selling to.

if it's as big a problem as you say it is it should be easy for you to answer that question but let me show you this before you do your internet search

What percentage of gun sales done with no background check?

tom-mostlyfalse.jpg

Online surveys are not accurate mostly for the fact that the person has to opt in to the survey. A person with a less than strong opinion about a subject is unlikely to bother to participate. Another method that can easily skew an online survey is to selectively choose which sites the survey is presented on, but there are many other subtle ways an online survey can be thrown one direction or another.
That holds true for all surveys

but why don't you tell me how many guns are sold in private sales every year and then tell me how many of those guns are used in crimes

Without any way to count private sales, there is no accurate way to know.

Nope. The seller is not required to do anything to determine whether any buyer is allowed to have a gun. You expect him to conduct his own personal background check before he makes the sale? Universal background checks would solve that part of the problem.

So tell me how many guns are sold in private sales where the seller doesn't know who he is selling to.

if it's as big a problem as you say it is it should be easy for you to answer that question but let me show you this before you do your internet search

tom-mostlyfalse.jpg

Online surveys are not accurate mostly for the fact that the person has to opt in to the survey. A person with a less than strong opinion about a subject is unlikely to bother to participate. Another method that can easily skew an online survey is to selectively choose which sites the survey is presented on, but there are many other subtle ways an online survey can be thrown one direction or another.

but why don't you tell me how many guns are sold in private sales every year and then tell me how many of those guns are used in crimes

But you sound sure that it's a huge number and you're in danger because of them. I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're sure it's a big problem.

tom-mostlyfalse.jpg

So there is no way to know even if there was universal background checks.

So basically what you are calling for cannot be done

Why don't we concentrate on putting people who commit crimes with guns in jail for long sentences and leave law abiding people alone?

tom-mostlyfalse.jpg

But you sound sure that it's a huge number and you're in danger because of them. I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're sure it's a big problem.

It's a bigger problem than we should have.

tom-mostlyfalse.jpg

it's not as big as you think.

tom-mostlyfalse.jpg

Why don't we concentrate on putting people who commit crimes with guns in jail for long sentences and leave law abiding people alone?

How did you make such a drastic jump from what I said to "there is no way even with universal background checks"?. More crazy gun nut logic?

Convince me with credible proof.

tom-mostlyfalse.jpg

How did you make such a drastic jump from what I said to "there is no way even with universal background checks"?. More crazy gun nut logic?

there is no way.

How many guns are out there right now?

How would you know if a private sale was done with a background check?

You wouldn't know and you would have no way of knowing

What you want is just another unenforceable law

Convince me with credible proof.

You can't convince that there is a problem while you ask me to prove a negative?

there is no way.

If you think we couldn't count how many background checks are done for individual sales, you're pretty dumb.

there is no way.

If you think we couldn't count how many background checks are done for individual sales, you're pretty dumb.

If you think you can count the number of background checks on private sales done without background checks you are dumb

There is absolutely no way to know if a gun is sold without a background check even if there was a law that required it.

Gun nuts are the ones that have an irrational fear of them. It is an inanimate object. It holds no power until someone USES It. Fear the bad guys that use guns illegally. Punish them.
Americans Are Chickenfeed for Chickenhawks

Actually, that fear of guns happened to me because of being shot at dozens of times in Vietnam. Even though it was irrational, it was influenced by the prevalent sissy psychiatry and the fact that those who created all the narratives we are allowed to listen to were unpatriotic cowards who ran away to college to avoid the draft.

Well if anyone shot at me in Vietnam, I'd have a rational fear of firearms, but more fear of Commies with an SKS. I was way too young for that one, but no way I'd be on the ground. F-4, F-5 or anything with wings for me except FAC's. Those guys had as much balls as you guys.

Thanks for your service.
Most Other Officers Are Chickenshit Chickenhawk-Lovers

We had a baby-face Captain as Forward Air Control. Since it was a combat zone, he wasn't wearing any rank. A sergeant, thinking he was a buck private, shoved an extra machinegun belt at him and said, "Here, Marine, you carry this."

The Captain was pretty mellow and didn't try to reprimand the sergeant.

What do you think, that the biggest gun wins or something? The person that wins is the one that can plant a bullet in the other person with any size gun.

I'm not exactly an expert on all the mechanical stats of semi-automatic weapons. How fast do AR-15s fire in comparison to various handguns? I realize leftist pussifists like Kit are under the mistaken impression that AR-15s are some sort of crazed machine gun, but since we both know better, can you shed some light on this?

Here we go again. The AR shoots no faster per load than any other gun with the same capacity mag. Where it excels is the fact it can carry many times the amount per mag as the handgun and can reload in a matter of a couple of seconds. Plus, it's killing power and penetration power is equal at 400 yds to a 357 mag at the muzzle. It's designed for one thing and one thing only. It's designed for a scared shitless 18 year old kid with minimal training to fire, reload, fire, reload, fire, reload, repeat as necessary. Just because it can do other things doesn't mean that it's not designed for war. For everything it can otherwise do, there are better rifles available that cost less. The other difference is, the AR in stock form, is hard to conceal on your person. These are the reasons it's the number one pick for the well dressed mass shooter. And the reason it's the easiest to stop before it gets onto the scene by methods being put into our schools today.

As for is the AR-15 capable of war? Using the Military Version of the M-4, the M-4 has three settings on it's selector; safe, semi and 3 shot burst while the AR-15 has two; safe, single. The normal usage of the M-4 in battle is single shot. Using the 3 shot burst wastes ammo and you are only on target with the first round. So the AR and the M-4 are exactly equal in a combat situation.

For home defense for a man and most women, the handgun is still more useful and less dangerous to the outside neighbors than the AR is. Second comes the Shotgun. The AR is pretty well at the bottom of the list as most Rifles will be. Let's face it, a 95 pound woman hitting the slide on a 870 Remington makes even a 6 foot 8 inch intruder freeze in his tracks.

And, of course, we need to follow the advice of the current democrat front runner for 2020, who says we should fire the shotgun through the door.

Let me ask you this. If a 12 gauge even firing a 3 in mag with bird shot rips a hole about a foot wide through a door are YOU going to open it up? Not me. Better to go after the house down the street, don't you think? Even a stupid criminal will have more than a second thought at that point.

When you don't know who is on the other side of the door, you shouldn't be shooting through it. If they force their way through, that's a different matter. If they just need help, you don't want to kill them.

True. Jehovah's Witnesses suck, but not enough to ventilate them.

You tell me. It's your story.

Odds of dying from gunfire assault, 1 in 306.

The Odds on How You Will Die

Odds of dying in a fire or explosion, 10.9 per million.

U.S. fire deaths, fire death rates, and risk of dying in a fire

Your figure for dying of a gunfire assault is wrong. The figure for is much lower. Let's take a look at the figure for armed robbery. It's 1 out of 167. That sounds pretty high. But it's pretty accurate. Now, consider that many of those are the same people being robbed multiple times because they are stupid. It's like burglars hitting the same home many times because the house is easy to rob. Stupid people squew the average. You can be stupid and be murdered, robbed, beaten, raped, etc. and keep those figures high or you can not be stupid and not be part of the statistics. I choose not to be part of the statistics, myself. If you keep going into those areas that are high in the statistics, guess what, you are being stupid. Just go somewhere else and not bve stupid.

Not always possible. For instance my job takes me in high crime areas at times. It's work and nothing I can do about it. My hospital is also in a high crime area, but thousands of people go there every single day.

As for where I live, it was once one of the nicest suburbs in the city until the blacks moved in. It's not a high-crime area, but we have enough shootings for it to be a concern. So I stay armed especially if I have to go to the store or bank after dark.

Your work may have to stay that way until YOU decide to change it by either working with the community and authorities to clean it up or by taking another job elsewhere. It's a choice.

As for your home, that's strictly a choice on your part. You stay or leave, your choice. If the crime is that high then you can leave. Or you can work with the community and the Authorities to clean it up.

But just complaining about it and not working with the community and authorities to clean it up just took you to the (cue the music) "The Stupid Zone".

My work is driving a truck and we're a same day outfit so get different deliveries and customers all the time. There is no telling if you will be in the city one day or the other side of the state.

There is no working with a community once it's shot. You can work with it all you like but it won't change much of anything. That's what people did to try and preserve this neighborhood. But you can't fight government. When government targets your area for destruction, that's exactly what happens. Since I'm in the stupid zone, tell me what the smart zone is. Selling your home for half of what you paid for it and running to some area you can't afford?

As I recall, the industrial areas a trucker tends to pick up and deliver in tend to also not be the nicest areas of town.

I know how it's done with the Military. It's more than just hitting a target. You also have to be able to operate under stress with your metabolism running wild. Here is a civilian course. This instructor makes sense. Combat troops get this type of training and go into combat where they have a high degree of situational awareness. It's no different on the street.

Like I said, stress training helps you make better decisions, fast, firearms training, when done properly, your reactions are automatic. I trained a Marine who was being sent to FAST, after he got back from Somalia he rang me up and thanked me for the drills i had done with him. He was involved in a firefight, and after the fight was over he was amazed to see how many magazines he had gone through. He was so involved in the fight, that everything was completely automatic, even clearing a jam was done without conscious thought. He was only aware of the clearance when the team were debriefing and the XO wanted to know what caused the jam. The Marine I had trained said "what jam?"

I had made him do over 3,000 clearance drills, which at the time he HATED. Afterwards he was thankful as hell.

You gave him the weapon proficiency training. The Marines gave him the combat stress training. I would rather have a person that is less proficient with his weapon but 100% proficient in combat stress than the other way around. Only a combat Vet or maybe a swat team member would understand this. I can see you aren't going to undersand. This is probably a good thing. Sillyvillians should NEVER be in the situation to have to undersant it every day of their lives.

Been There; You're Wrong. Dead Wrong.

Intensive training creates an alternate personality to easily slip into and become a killing machine.

And that alternate personality, let's call him Egor, without the stress training, becomes a danger to everyone around them including the bystanders. Never let Egor out.

Decimation

Egor saved my life every time the killing zone was stopped from going back to where I was in the patrol column. Especially during Operation Tuscaloosa, where the platoons up front stood their ground for 9 hours of continual enemy fire and lost 10% KIA. According to sissy psychiatry, they all should have cracked up and let the enemy break through and wipe us out, too. The pressure was so intense that it would have been suicidal for us if the Colonel had sent us into that bloodbath, especially since there was nowhere left to take cover.

I know the feeling, like having a gun and in the middle of a fire fight you find you only have five rounds left. Not good. Same as if you are in Wendys and someone enters to hold up the place and starts shooting people and you did not bring your gun with you because you left in the the car outside in the parking lot. Not Good.

Like I said, stress training helps you make better decisions, fast, firearms training, when done properly, your reactions are automatic. I trained a Marine who was being sent to FAST, after he got back from Somalia he rang me up and thanked me for the drills i had done with him. He was involved in a firefight, and after the fight was over he was amazed to see how many magazines he had gone through. He was so involved in the fight, that everything was completely automatic, even clearing a jam was done without conscious thought. He was only aware of the clearance when the team were debriefing and the XO wanted to know what caused the jam. The Marine I had trained said "what jam?"

I had made him do over 3,000 clearance drills, which at the time he HATED. Afterwards he was thankful as hell.

You gave him the weapon proficiency training. The Marines gave him the combat stress training. I would rather have a person that is less proficient with his weapon but 100% proficient in combat stress than the other way around. Only a combat Vet or maybe a swat team member would understand this. I can see you aren't going to undersand. This is probably a good thing. Sillyvillians should NEVER be in the situation to have to undersant it every day of their lives.
Been There; You're Wrong. Dead Wrong.

Intensive training creates an alternate personality to easily slip into and become a killing machine.

And that alternate personality, let's call him Egor, without the stress training, becomes a danger to everyone around them including the bystanders. Never let Egor out.
Decimation

Egor saved my life every time the killing zone was stopped from going back to where I was in the patrol column. Especially during Operation Tuscaloosa, where the platoons up front stood their ground for 9 hours of continual enemy fire and lost 10% KIA. According to sissy psychiatry, they all should have cracked up and let the enemy break through and wipe us out, too. The pressure was so intense that it would have been suicidal for us if the Colonel had sent us into that bloodbath, especially since there was nowhere left to take cover.
I know the feeling, like having a gun and in the middle of a fire fight you find you only have five rounds left. Not good. Same as if you are in Wendys and someone enters to hold up the place and starts shooting people and you did not bring your gun with you because you left in the the car outside in the parking lot. Not Good.

I read one report from the New Zealand Herald where an armed citizen chased away the terrorists in their second attack. If true, our media is sure silent about it; a good guy with a gun stopping a bad guy with a gun.

Christchurch mosque massacre: 49 confirmed dead in shootings; four arrested - three men, one woman

If one good person had a gun in that Mosque the outcome could have been very different. Now, NZ will further devolve into yet another gun free zone, but only for the law abiding.

Forum List

Back