What John Adams Said About July 2, 1776

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
The Decleration of Independence is ratified on July 2, 1776. He writes:

"The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."

"The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."
I happen to think that John Adams is one of the most underestimated men, and his wife Abigail the most underestimated woman in history.

He actually meant Shrews.

That is the John Adams that promoted the suppression of the First Amendment.

Pretty ironic that both John Adams and his nemesis (they became friends in later years) Thomas Jefferson both died on the same day, the day we celebrate the Declaration of Independence, July 4th.

That is the John Adams that promoted the suppression of the First Amendment.
War forces compromises of constitutional rights. At the time the First Amendment still had the meaning given to it in the English Bill of Rights, part of the Glorious Revolution. It evolved into an absolute later.

Forum List

Back