What Job Did You REALLY Want?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
Stuck in a career you hate or that just doesn't inspire you? Me too, before retirement.

This is the job I really wanted:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LvdioqFtAE&a=hTKvDZoybrY&playnext_from=ML]YouTube - Bernadette Seacrest - Tango[/ame]

Torch singer...OOOOOoooooo....

jessica_rabbit.jpg

What is your fantasy job?

I know what Huggy's ultimate job would be. He wanted to be a Dungeon Master.

Hint hint....Huggy, you're still young.

T'aint too late -- go for it, dude.

atthedungeonmastershand150x225-712397.jpg

Last edited:
Tried the musician thing before I joined the Army way back when... but looking back, I do not know if I can say now that I really would want that...

I have a love of history, paleontology, archeology... but don't really think that would be better for providing and raising kids either...

I would love to own my own business and most probably a restaurant... probably about 7-8 more years before I can think of that venture though

• Banned
Well, I can name a few jobs I think I'd have been great at:

Voice-over narrator. Especially for crime shows. Most use men, but I give GREAT voice. I'd have liked to try this on.

Tobacco company lobbyist. Why lie when the truth is so convincing? I could've bagged this one.

Return Desk Customer Service Person: Fuck no you're not getting the money back. Sue me.

LOLOLOLOL.

C'mon people. What frustrated desires are lying around in here?

I want to be the head of marketing for a major automotive company.

But nooooooooooooooooo........ I got sucked into running the family business. 30 years behind a desk dealing with a board made up of siblings that I grew up with. Some for whom I changed diapers. Fuck me. Ah well the money's good.

• Banned
I want to be the head of marketing for a major automotive company.

But nooooooooooooooooo........ I got sucked into running the family business. 30 years behind a desk dealing with a board made up of siblings that I grew up with. Some for whom I changed diapers. Fuck me. Ah well the money's good.

OMG, Mr H. I have a timer on my sibling. No more than 45 minutes together or a fistfight breaks out. How in the world do you do it?

3077980987_fe5b0068ed.jpg

I'm drawing a blank, because I do what I like and I like what I do. Grass is green regardless of which side of the fence I am. Or, the more relevant corollary is that dogs can shit on either side of that fence.

ETA: Benevolent dictator. That's my dream job.

Last edited:
That's wonderful! Whaca do?

I was a lawyer and I LOVED it. There just is no bad impulse you cannot give full reign to whilst practicing law. I especially enjoyed pricking hot air balloons. But alas, litigation is a young person's job. Eventually, a body wears out.

I also think I'd have liked anything creative. Graphic designer, landscape architect, etc. Unfortunately, I lack the requisite artistic nature.

Hmmm

If i had a dream job Id be doing it. I enjoy my job right now though. But I think if i had a dream job i think Id work at a think tank. Read all day and write papers. Maybe teach some classes. that be pretty sweet. The beauty of it is i could learn about whatever I wanted.

Hmmm

If i had a dream job Id be doing it. I enjoy my job right now though. But I think if i had a dream job i think Id work at a think tank. Read all day and write papers. Maybe teach some classes. that be pretty sweet. The beauty of it is i could learn about whatever I wanted.

Now that does sound interesting. I hear there's a job in predicting the future (not as a psychic, though that could be fun too).

I was a lawyer and I LOVED it. There just is no bad impulse you cannot give full reign to whilst practicing law. I especially enjoyed pricking hot air balloons. But alas, litigation is a young person's job. Eventually, a body wears out.

I also think I'd have liked anything creative. Graphic designer, landscape architect, etc. Unfortunately, I lack the requisite artistic nature.

My official job title is Semiconductor Device Physicist. I do a lot of contract work. My heyday was in the 80s and 90s.

When I was younger about eighteen, my dream was to be a race car driver. That was the one you knew you would never be.
Other than that I don't really know, that has always been my problem. Right now the plan is to be a nurse, but I don't think that really is my dream.

Tom Waits stole my life.

And my piano, but unfortunately not my wife.

Still, even my ass is better looking than Tom.

I WIN THIS ROUND TOM!

Last edited:

Gave up lawyering when I became a single parent, too many long hours away from the little ones and I didn't want them raised entirely by hired help. But I loved what I did. I hate what I'm doing now with a passion that's almost holy but it pays the bills and gets me home on time.

If I could do anything at all....there's such a list of things I'm interested in or curious about I wonder if I could pick just one. A strange one I've thought about is doing those audio books. I've been told many times I have the voice for it, wouldn't that be just a cool job? Like reading to my kids all day but getting paid for it. I could do that.

Gave up lawyering when I became a single parent, too many long hours away from the little ones and I didn't want them raised entirely by hired help. But I loved what I did. I hate what I'm doing now with a passion that's almost holy but it pays the bills and gets me home on time.

If I could do anything at all....there's such a list of things I'm interested in or curious about I wonder if I could pick just one. A strange one I've thought about is doing those audio books. I've been told many times I have the voice for it, wouldn't that be just a cool job? Like reading to my kids all day but getting paid for it. I could do that.

Try it part time and see how it goes, then make the switch if it pans out. I think you'd do well.

I know exactly what ya mean. I did not start law school until my kidlet was in the first grade. By the time she was in Middle School, I was traveling extensively to litigate, but rarely gone more than one night. In her High School years, I was gone for weeks at a time, only seeing her on weekends.

I can't remember any of those assignments in detail, but I do remember the sadness in her little face when I skipped Christmas morning because I had to work. Almost every year.

Litigation is The Job That Ate My Life. I'm delighted I did it and I will not do it again.

Ever thought about teaching instead goldcatt? Doesn't have to be law school level to pay the bills; even a Business Law Instructor at a Community College might be able to...and the hours are fantabulous.

Forum List

Back