"What I’ve Learned From Collecting Stories of People Whose Loved Ones Were Transformed by Fox News"

An essay by writer Luke O'Neil that expounds on the recent phenomenon of FOXNEWS radicalizing it's viewers.

From the article...

No matter where the stories came from they all featured a few familiar beats: A loved one seemed to have changed over time. Maybe that person was already somewhat conservative to start. Maybe they were apolitical. But at one point or another, they sat down in front of Fox News, found some kind of deep, addictive comfort in the anger and paranoia, and became a different person — someone difficult, if not impossible, to spend time with. The fallout led to failed marriages and estranged parental relationships. For at least one person, it marks the final memory he’ll ever have of his father: “When I found my dad dead in his armchair, fucking Fox News was on the TV,” this reader told me. “It’s likely the last thing he saw. I hate what that channel and conservative talk radio did to my funny, compassionate dad. He spent the last years of his life increasingly angry, bigoted, and paranoid.”

Dozens who responded to my piece talked about the sad lonely twilight of their parents’ or grandparents’ lives, having been spurned by, or having disowned much of their families over political disagreements. Older people, recent studies have shown, are much more likely to share misleading information online, but the anecdotes I was hearing seemed to indicate this behavior wasn’t limited to the internet. Young parents wrote that they don’t want to bring their children to visit aging Fox-brainers. “The worst is when my children go to spend time with their grandparents and come home with Fox News talking points coming out of their mouths,” one told me. “I have to decontaminate them every time.”

Another person told me that Rush Limbaugh sent his father on the path to isolation before eventually mainlining Fox News on a regular basis. Eventually, out of the blue, his mother filed for divorce. “He was crushed, couldn’t understand why, and took comfort in drinking while watching his friends on TV. She is happier than I have ever seen her and he is sad and angry living in the basement of a rented house, still watching The Five, Tucker Carlson, Jeanine Pirro, etc.”

A lot of the stories echoed that turning point. There was something about Obama that seemed to make a lot of previously apolitical or moderate family members lose their minds. Gosh — what could it have possibly been?

The entire article: What I’ve Learned From People Whose Loved Ones Were Transformed by Fox News

It seems that practically all the USMB self-professed Conservatives and Republicans are already radicalized, and have been for some time now, however, how many of the rest of you have or are experiencing anything like this w/your loved ones?

That would be interesting to know.

So I've posted on my facebook account several stores, some were left-wing, and some right-wing. Thus far, left-wing posts have resulted in no negative reaction.

But right-wing posts, have resulted in people unfriending, and disappearing.

So far, my experience is that mostly it's left-wingers that shun people, and refuse to have a relationship with members of the opposite view point.

Further, this idea that somehow Rush Limbaugh made some guys wife divorce him... would not that mean the wife was a left-winger, and ditched her husband? My extended family are all right-wingers. Not one of them had their wife divorce them over Rush Limbaugh.

Basically you are looking at how left-wing people are treating people who are right wing, shunning them, and divorcing them, and isolating them... and then saying it's their fault for how they are treated?

Ok... Gay people are the one's at fault for how they are treated too.

That is a moral equivalent argument to yours.

An essay by writer Luke O'Neil that expounds on the recent phenomenon of FOXNEWS radicalizing it's viewers.

From the article...

No matter where the stories came from they all featured a few familiar beats: A loved one seemed to have changed over time. Maybe that person was already somewhat conservative to start. Maybe they were apolitical. But at one point or another, they sat down in front of Fox News, found some kind of deep, addictive comfort in the anger and paranoia, and became a different person — someone difficult, if not impossible, to spend time with. The fallout led to failed marriages and estranged parental relationships. For at least one person, it marks the final memory he’ll ever have of his father: “When I found my dad dead in his armchair, fucking Fox News was on the TV,” this reader told me. “It’s likely the last thing he saw. I hate what that channel and conservative talk radio did to my funny, compassionate dad. He spent the last years of his life increasingly angry, bigoted, and paranoid.”

Dozens who responded to my piece talked about the sad lonely twilight of their parents’ or grandparents’ lives, having been spurned by, or having disowned much of their families over political disagreements. Older people, recent studies have shown, are much more likely to share misleading information online, but the anecdotes I was hearing seemed to indicate this behavior wasn’t limited to the internet. Young parents wrote that they don’t want to bring their children to visit aging Fox-brainers. “The worst is when my children go to spend time with their grandparents and come home with Fox News talking points coming out of their mouths,” one told me. “I have to decontaminate them every time.”

Another person told me that Rush Limbaugh sent his father on the path to isolation before eventually mainlining Fox News on a regular basis. Eventually, out of the blue, his mother filed for divorce. “He was crushed, couldn’t understand why, and took comfort in drinking while watching his friends on TV. She is happier than I have ever seen her and he is sad and angry living in the basement of a rented house, still watching The Five, Tucker Carlson, Jeanine Pirro, etc.”

A lot of the stories echoed that turning point. There was something about Obama that seemed to make a lot of previously apolitical or moderate family members lose their minds. Gosh — what could it have possibly been?

The entire article: What I’ve Learned From People Whose Loved Ones Were Transformed by Fox News

It seems that practically all the USMB self-professed Conservatives and Republicans are already radicalized, and have been for some time now, however, how many of the rest of you have or are experiencing anything like this w/your loved ones?

That would be interesting to know.

The safe, dry land of morality you wish existed on the American Left has long since (six decades and more) sunken to the seabed of anti-civilization. The American Left is undeniably the party of Abomination. The American Left embodies, assists, grows and celebrates and encourages incest (grandmother birthing own grandson), mass child murder (abortion for profit/as contraception), child mutilation (transgender education), cultural replacement of generational American citizens and illegally creating new voters by the hundreds of thousands (open borders), anti-biological fact (gender debate bullshit), anti-Americanism across multiple levels of society, anti-Christianity, Atheist immorality, Communism, Islam over Christianity, Christianity being the bedrock of Western civilization, and your Left also supports Islamic terrorism. There's just no denying it . . . the American Left despises America, wishes above all else to destroy our US of A along with all Western Civilization and really ought to just get the hell out of our nation. War should be declared immediately on all who support the above mentioned stances of the radical American Left. Otherwise, your attempt at deception and embrace of savagery are pathetically transparent.

Hate to tell you I am fiscal Conservative and social Liberal and you are more radical than me.
FOXNEWS watcher?

Trump supporter?

How old are you?

Neither of them and you know this but will lie and deny the reality. I never watch Fox News because the commentary elements are too slanted for me like MSNBC and CNN nonsense.

As for Trump it amazes me how stupid anyone can be when calling me a damn Trump supporter when I usually reference him as a damn Charlatan, but hey I should never expect race baiting posters like you to read what I write about Trump and just expect you to make bullshit up like usual.

Now can you explain to the kind board why individuals like you keep on spewing your lies about those that you disagree with?

Is it because when individuals like you realize you can not impeach Trump you become hostile to reality?

Forum List

Back