What It Feels Like To Be An Atheist

Hobbit said:
Jesus wanted the full experience. He wished to become man to see what it was like to become man, and to get the full experience, he had to get born and grow up. Remember, he was 30 when his minitry started, and that means at least 15 years of being a carpenter before that. If the whole point was just to preach for three years and then die, he could have come as a fully grown human and only stay for three years.

I disagree. Christ knew what it was like for men before He was born. I mean He was God prior to His birth and God knows everything.

He condescended below all things and experienced mortality to show mortals the path which they should walk. He suffered all things and descended below them all so that He could lift everyone up with Him. There is not one person on earth who can say to Christ that He has no clue what they are going through. He has suffered it all and more and anyone who knows Him will know that.

He suffered all things so He could succor His people in their infirmities.

Hagbard Celine said:
What if it LOOKED like Jesus died--like he went unconscious for three days and then rose from the dead like a voodoo zombie.:eek:

If you want to make a claim, provide some proof.

I disagree. Christ knew what it was like for men before He was born. I mean He was God prior to His birth and God knows everything.

He condescended below all things and experienced mortality to show mortals the path which they should walk. He suffered all things and descended below them all so that He could lift everyone up with Him. There is not one person on earth who can say to Christ that He has no clue what they are going through. He has suffered it all and more and anyone who knows Him will know that.

He suffered all things so He could succor His people in their infirmities.

and He, truthfully, is the only one who could have ever said, "I dont deserve this",,,,but, to give ones live for another, even the most vile of humans, that is ultimate love. Does not the Bible say that love is to lay down ones life for another? Is this not the ultimate show of love?

MissileMan said:
Why would God need to magically impregnate a mortal? Why not simply create a messiah in the same manner alleged in Genesis?

That mortal woman you speak of was born without original sin unlike the rest of us so that she would be perfect enough to carry the son of God... Jesus was born a mortal so that he would suffer and carry out a specific mission or prophecy......the rest you know.. I don't expect you to believe any of that but I was just giving background and answering your question...

LuvRPgrl said:
whats the story with the "letters", like to the Corinthians, etc, from Peter and some of the other boys?? Were they the original letters? Where did they come from?

Paul wrote all the letters from Romans thru Philemon. Unknown author wrote Hebrews. The other letters are identified by their authors. The original letters are lost to time, but, as with the Gospels, there is plenty of evidence to show that we have accurate copies of the originals.

Bonnie said:
That mortal woman you speak of was born without original sin unlike the rest of us so that she would be perfect enough to carry the son of God...

Well... so says the Pope. That is not universally accepted Christian doctrine.

Bonnie said:
That mortal woman you speak of was born without original sin unlike the rest of us so that she would be perfect enough to carry the son of God... Jesus was born a mortal so that he would suffer and carry out a specific mission or prophecy......the rest you know.. I don't expect you to believe any of that but I was just giving background and answering your question...

And in the tradition of Adam, couldn't he have created a mortal, infant Jesus and presented him to Mary to raise? IMHO, the story of the immaculate conception sounds like something made up after the fact to bolster the idea that Jesus was divine.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
HUGE difference...
My claims aren't based on what is said to be facts with no proof.
Just opinions.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was seconding what you had to say, not saying you did the same thing.

MissileMan said:
And in the tradition of Adam, couldn't he have created a mortal, infant Jesus and presented him to Mary to raise? IMHO, the story of the immaculate conception sounds like something made up after the fact to bolster the idea that Jesus was divine.

Nope, it was prophesied throughout the Old Testament that the messiah would be born of a virgin. If it was made up, then it was made up many hundreds of years before the fact.

Hobbit said:
Nope, it was prophesied throughout the Old Testament that the messiah would be born of a virgin. If it was made up, then it was made up many hundreds of years before the fact.

That doesn't preclude the prophecy being added to the "lore" of Jesus after the fact.

MissileMan said:
That doesn't preclude the prophecy being added to the "lore" of Jesus after the fact.

It certainly lends itself to skeptics claiming that it was added in so people could add another prophecy to the hundreds Jesus fulfilled. However, what is know is that Mary became pregnant before she got married. Joseph, her betrothed (deeper level than an engagement), was planning to divorce her quietly and discretely like a gentleman, but very suddenly decided not to. Then there's still the other couple hundred OT prophecies he fulfilled.

Hobbit said:
It certainly lends itself to skeptics claiming that it was added in so people could add another prophecy to the hundreds Jesus fulfilled. However, what is know is that Mary became pregnant before she got married. Joseph, her betrothed (deeper level than an engagement), was planning to divorce her quietly and discretely like a gentleman, but very suddenly decided not to. Then there's still the other couple hundred OT prophecies he fulfilled.

You and I have a different notion of what "known" means. I think that is going to remain a sticking point in our debates.

New Topics

Forum List

Back