What It Feels Like To Be a Libertarian

No one has commented on libertarian's views on foreign policy.

What foreign policy? You mean the limits of the government to enter treaties and deal with other nations that is spelled out in the Constitution? That foreign policy?

well, what it feels like to be a libertarian when it comes to foreign policy. It gets lonely on the fringe, I must say.

so meddling in other countries affairs and having our military stomp around the world intimidating and forcing our will on other sovereign nations is good foreign policy?

see what that policy has reaped in the middle east?

We have the left screaming at us because we believe in guns. We have the right screaming at us because we are non-interventionist. Then we have the media like Fox news not letting our candidates into the debate.

What foreign policy? You mean the limits of the government to enter treaties and deal with other nations that is spelled out in the Constitution? That foreign policy?

well, what it feels like to be a libertarian when it comes to foreign policy. It gets lonely on the fringe, I must say.

so meddling in other countries affairs and having our military stomp around the world intimidating and forcing our will on other sovereign nations is good foreign policy?

see what that policy has reaped in the middle east?

Hey, I'm on your side. trust me.

Truthmatters has given up on her fellow human beings. She's just convinced we're all too stupid to manage our own lives.

There's really nothing else that needs to be said. She proved it in her last post. She wishes we were smart enough, but admits we're not.

That must be a real shitty way to go through life.

Smart enough?

Dude you are really not getting it.

Are we smart enough for communism?

Its not about smart , its about that there is always a certain portion fo the populace who are willing to scarafice their fellow man for power.

Not everyone on the playground is going to play fair without rules and playground marms.

Yeah, welcome to fucking LIFE. There's never going to be 100% of the people playing fair. There's probably people you VOTED for who don't play fair.

Why should it be the government's responsibility to make sure you don't get screwed? I'm smart enough not to get screwed. Why aren't you?

I moved my money out of the few stocks I owned back in July, for instance. Because I was smart enough to see what was coming. Why shouldn't anyone else be responsible for learning what I learned on my own? I didn't need the government helping me out with that. Why do you? Why does anyone else?

People are crying about how much money they lost last year, because they remained IGNORANT. Instead of learning how to manage their own money, they let someone else make the decisions for them and then complained that it didn't work. That was THEIR money, the responsibility falls on THEM.

I didn't need to take college courses to learn how to manage money. I learned from past mistakes, reading a couple books, and applying myself. Shit I did in my fucking spare time.

We have the left screaming at us because we believe in guns. We have the right screaming at us because we are non-interventionist. Then we have the media like Fox news not letting our candidates into the debate.

This is part of the whole attraction of Libertarianism for some.

People like to think they are the lone wolf who is the only one who really knows about the magic.

The "magic market" is no more magic that the forces of a stream.

The stream carves into the landscape and does its thing happily wether man is there or not.

Man moves in and sometimes the stream overflows the banks (just like it always has) and wreaks the guys crops and he goes hungry in the winter. The guy builds a damn and it saves his crops next time. The guy down stream gets flooded the next year.

What needs to happen is the two guys get together adn create a damn that works for both of them.

The stream did not give a damn either way.

Its not magic it is just the forces of nature.

Dimocrat politically correct, I am sorry if I offended you, sensitivity training, anger management people calling other people over sensitive.

THAT"S fucking hilarious.
:lol: You're all pissed off and Pauli is crying. I'd call that sensitive.

You haven't seen me pissed off.

being completely and utterly disgusted by how pathetic people have become is not anger it is sadness.

How far we have fallen to be so afraid of our own futures that we need the government to save us from ourselves.
We don't need the government to save us from ourselves. We only need them to save us from hostile forces. Like greedy twisted idiots on wall street and aggressive foreign powers.

:lol: You're all pissed off and Pauli is crying. I'd call that sensitive.

You haven't seen me pissed off.

being completely and utterly disgusted by how pathetic people have become is not anger it is sadness.

How far we have fallen to be so afraid of our own futures that we need the government to save us from ourselves.
We don't need the government to save us from ourselves. We only need them to save us from hostile forces. Like greedy twisted idiots on wall street and aggressive foreign powers.

The Constitution clearly states it is the federal governments role to protect us from hostile action.

the twisted idiots on wall street would have all gone out of business but for the government taking our money and propping them up.

The Libertarians have been around for 50 years, and haven't been able to sell their message.

Is your contention that its all just a marketing problem? That clever liberals are paying people off to follow liberal policies?

That's weak dude. If libertarian policies can improve the lives of working americans, and bring on a rennassaince of freedom, low taxes, and economic nirvana, they should be able to explain their ideology in a way that makes people believe them.

Its the free market of ideas. Ideas and products that don't sell in the free market are considered failures. Isn't the free market something libertarians honor and revere?
Great point and very funny.

How ironic that the government, who is supposedly supposed to protect us from greedy wall st. thugs, chose to protect the GREEDY WALL ST. THUGS. :lol:

And Ravi SUPPORTED IT, too! :rofl:

You're always great for a laugh, Rav. Thanks.

The Libertarians have been around for 50 years, and haven't been able to sell their message.

Is your contention that its all just a marketing problem? That clever liberals are paying people off to follow liberal policies?

That's weak dude. If libertarian policies can improve the lives of working americans, and bring on a rennassaince of freedom, low taxes, and economic nirvana, they should be able to explain their ideology in a way that makes people believe them.

Its the free market of ideas. Ideas and products that don't sell in the free market are considered failures. Isn't the free market something libertarians honor and revere?

great point if you realize that people are all taught that the government is a good thing.

great point if you like the learned helplessness that has been bred into our psyches

great point if you want your kids to be dependent on government for everything.

Whoever thinks the philosophy, and it's many variations, are completely synonymous with the party that happens to be called the "Libertarian Party", is a fool.

Go read a book or 10.

Your point is irrelevant. The article in the OP did not draw any distinctions between differing factions of Libertarian thought, it in fact did quite the opposite.

If a poster has a history of not only advocating Libertarian ideas, but also for the LP, then the LP is an issue. You don't get it both ways.

I find it amusing that the OP references the idea that Libertarians must resign themselves to being ridiculed and attacked, yet the two posters in this thread who identify themselves as Libertarian resorted to "confused", "fool", and "Go read a book or 10".

On a personal note, I actually want to see the LP succeed. It would be nice to have an alternative to the Democrat/Republican Party.Ticket splitting doesn't do much good when the two major Parties are ideologically indistinguishable. I have noticed that the LP in my area has been infiltrated by a bunch of Green Party rejects. It would be nice to have real Libertarians getting their message out. The prospects for that happening don't look good when real Libertarians start to distance themselves from the LP instead of taking control of it. Good luck with that strategy.

How ironic that the government, who is supposedly supposed to protect us from greedy wall st. thugs, chose to protect the GREEDY WALL ST. THUGS. :lol:

A lot of them did, this is true. Trying to keep the country from going into a depression was the only logical thing to do, however.

The protection would be regulations to prevent them from raping the country the way they did.

Truthmatters has given up on her fellow human beings. She's just convinced we're all too stupid to manage our own lives.

There's really nothing else that needs to be said. She proved it in her last post. She wishes we were smart enough, but admits we're not.

That must be a real shitty way to go through life.

Smart enough?

Dude you are really not getting it.

Are we smart enough for communism?

Its not about smart , its about that there is always a certain portion fo the populace who are willing to scarafice their fellow man for power.

Not everyone on the playground is going to play fair without rules and playground marms.

Yeah, welcome to fucking LIFE. There's never going to be 100% of the people playing fair. There's probably people you VOTED for who don't play fair.

Why should it be the government's responsibility to make sure you don't get screwed? I'm smart enough not to get screwed. Why aren't you?

I moved my money out of the few stocks I owned back in July, for instance. Because I was smart enough to see what was coming. Why shouldn't anyone else be responsible for learning what I learned on my own? I didn't need the government helping me out with that. Why do you? Why does anyone else?

People are crying about how much money they lost last year, because they remained IGNORANT. Instead of learning how to manage their own money, they let someone else make the decisions for them and then complained that it didn't work. That was THEIR money, the responsibility falls on THEM.

I didn't need to take college courses to learn how to manage money. I learned from past mistakes, reading a couple books, and applying myself. Shit I did in my fucking spare time.

Heres the funny part, with your strategy you will not MAKE the money you would have by staying in certain stocks and buying low.

The wealthy know this one. When you have money you can make money in ANY market.

The reason I say we should make these regulations is that we ARE Smart enough to create a system where people are not used as pawns in the see saw market. We can have a system where many can live a decent and honorable life by working hard, spending wisely and saving for the future. Right now we have a system which allows you and anyone who isnt high enough on the ladder to be swept away by the high tides. You do realize that perfectly healthy busninesses went out of business because the big money people called in their loans early to cover their own asses right?

I really wish you people would give up your attraction to half truths about what is going on in this country.

BTW I stayed in stocks (the right ones) and when the turn arround comes I will be sitting pretty. I have three homes (ones a beach house) and lots of money in the bank. Im going to be Just Fine Thanks.

I do care about my fellow Americans and the future ones too though.

Last edited:

great point if you realize that people are all taught that the government is a good thing.

great point if you like the learned helplessness that has been bred into our psyches

great point if you want your kids to be dependent on government for everything.
Is that what you were taught? I wasn't. It doesn't even have any bearing on Red Dawn's point: Your product sucks and no one is buying it.

A lot of them did, this is true. Trying to keep the country from going into a depression was the only logical thing to do, however.

The protection would be regulations to prevent them from raping the country the way they did.

But you just automatically assumed that protecting the greedy wall st. thugs would save us from depression. You have no real knowledge of economics, that much is obvious. You've said so yourself. What you know is based on what you see on TV, and what the pundits that you trust want you to believe.

You had no clue whether TARP would be good or not, you just trusted what the pundits told you. Everyone said "catastrophe" and you jumped onto the lifeboat. Now, we're left wondering where the first half even WENT, while they tell us to our faces that we don't get to know.

But you supported it blindly, because you were freightened into it. The only ones who have benefitted are the greedy wall st. thugs that would have been unemployed otherwise, while you still have no proof that there would ever have been a depression.

It fills no customers needs.

It is not a failure of marketing that is for sure.

But you just automatically assumed that protecting the greedy wall st. thugs would save us from depression. You have no real knowledge of economics, that much is obvious. You've said so yourself. What you know is based on what you see on TV, and what the pundits that you trust want you to believe.

You had no clue whether TARP would be good or not, you just trusted what the pundits told you. Everyone said "catastrophe" and you jumped onto the lifeboat. Now, we're left wondering where the first half even WENT, while they tell us to our faces that we don't get to know.

But you supported it blindly, because you were freightened into it. The only ones who have benefitted are the greedy wall st. thugs that would have been unemployed otherwise, while you still have no proof that there would ever have been a depression.
lol, I know enough not to believe some dillhole on a message board.

The economy has not melted down. It has gotten worse, and it may get worse still...but it is quite likely the bailouts stopped something even worse.

I never support anything blindly. I normally go with the best choice of what is out there.

"Quite likely". That's funny. You don't really understand it all that much, but somehow you're convinced it worked.

Whatever.

When the banks have no money left to loan it is pretty simple to see what will happen to the economy.

The tarp was rushed through so Bush's 1% constituents could cash in one more time.

If the proper perameters were put on the money it would have worked much better.

Forum List

Back