What It Feels Like To Be a Libertarian

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
Political analysts frequently consider what it means to be a libertarian. In fact, in 1997, Charles Murray published a short book entitled "What It Means to Be a Libertarian" that does an excellent job of presenting the core principles of libertarian political philosophy. But almost no one ever discusses what it feels like to be a libertarian. How does it actually feel to be someone who holds the principles described in Murray’s book?

I’ll tell you. It feels bad. Being a libertarian means living with a level of frustration that is nearly beyond human endurance. It means being subject to unending scorn and derision despite being inevitably proven correct by events. How does it feel to be a libertarian? Imagine what the internal life of Cassandra must have been and you will have a pretty good idea.

CV1

I thought this was a pretty insightful article.

I’ll tell you. It feels bad. Being a libertarian means living with a level of frustration that is nearly beyond human endurance. It means being subject to unending scorn and derision despite being inevitably proven correct by events. How does it feel to be a libertarian? Imagine what the internal life of Cassandra must have been and you will have a pretty good idea.

I knew the Cassandra syndrome was going to be mentioned even before I read the post.

It must suck knowing one has all the right answers, but nobody will listen.

But I have to ask, if libertarians believe in the free market, and by extenstion the free market of ideas, why is it their ideas don't sell in the arena of free and open debate? Is it possible that if the idea or product that isn't compelling and convincing, it just won't sell? That's how the free market is supposed to work, isn't it?

I knew the Cassandra syndrome was going to be mentioned even before I read the post.

But I have to ask, if libertarians believe in the free market, and by extenstion the free market of ideas, why is it their ideas don't sell in the arena of free and open debate? Is it possible that if the idea or product that isn't compelling and convincing, it just won't sell? That's how the free market is supposed to work, isn't it?

or could it be that those with a vested interest in the status quo paint libertarians as wackos?

Funny how libertarians who are from what I've seen more in agreement with the founding principles of this country than the current crop of politicians and their sycophants are somehow considered as a fringe group, strange.

Meanwhile, our liberties are being usurped one at a time. More of our income is confiscated, and more will be because government has become bloated in its efforts to control our lives.

The government thinks it's bad for me to have a piece of candy.....tax
the government thinks it's bad for me to eat out at a restaurant.....tax
the government wants me to drive my car less..............................tax

the government polices my child's lunch box at school and confiscates his cookie

the government doesn't want me to eat french fries...ban cooking oil

the government thinks it can handle my money better than I..propose legislation to confiscate my 401K

the government thinks it can set my thermostat better than I...propose legislation to install an electronic transmitter in my home

the government thinks a privately owned business should not be allowed to fail.......tax.

None of you see anything wrong with this and you call libertarians, who do see this as an abuse of governmental power, strange.

Last edited:
"the Community Reinvestment Act that forces lenders to make more risky loans that they otherwise would"

No, it did not. Nothing like leading your complaint with a lie, huh?

"FDR’s New Deal that prolonged the great depression for a decade"

There is absolutely no proof of that statement. More revisionist bullshit theory.

My problem with libertarians is they seem to think the constitution was written to protect the markets. I've got news for you...

maybe people are just afraid of having to compete with no excuses.

"the Community Reinvestment Act that forces lenders to make more risky loans that they otherwise would"

There is absolutely no proof of that statement. More revisionist bullshit theory.

My problem with libertarians is they seem to think the constitution was written to protect the markets. I've got news for you...

you speak as if you think "the markets" are not made up of people.

The free market is nothing more than people freely spending their money, freely selling their goods and services. or in other words exercising their liberties.

Only one out of the top 25 private lenders in the subprime market were subject to the government housing programs that Rush Limbaugh fans complain about.

That's from official published national statistics. I've posted it several times, but the lie keeps being propogated.

Many so called LIBERTARIAN principles are damned good economically sound philosophies.

Sadly, most Libertarians I know are just angry white boys who object to paying taxes.

Many so called LIBERTARIAN principles are damned good economically sound philosophies.

Sadly, most Libertarians I know are just angry white boys who object to paying taxes.

correction

who object to paying taxes for government agencies and activities that are not sanctioned by the Constitution.

Cassandra syndrome my ass. Cassandra didn't do it to herself. If anything, Libertarians are masochists. 15 years ago the LP actually had several high-profile public servants in my area. Now, they don't campaign locally because they're focusing on federal offices. All of those gains are lost. The LP actually tried to pass Bob Barr off as a Libertarian, and Shane Cory is sending out campaign mass emails bragging about the fact that the dog catcher in Albuquerque is a Libertarian. Quit your bitching, get off your lazy ass and go back to what worked in the first place,local door-to-door canvassing.

Why don't they sell? Two reasons, people are stupid and there is a snake oil salesman dominating all media outlets telling people they can have whatever they want at no cost to them.

Which would you pick the guy selling pain or the guy selling an open candy store?

As an analogy, there are all kinds of infomercials selling equipment and programs that require real work to get that "toned" body. There are also infomercials for belts you strap on or pills you can take to watch the "fat melt away". It's the same thing.

Libertarians ARE loons when they demand cutting government to nothing. When they claim we don't need criminal law just civil courts to sue people that do crimes.

They are one step up from Anarchists.

I like some Libertarian ideas but some of them just go too far. I liked Ron Paul but after seeing him on The Daily Show or Colbert Report I knew he didn't have a chance. He tossed out those abolish the IRS ideas and I just knew no one would take him seriously. It's like PETA... I'm all in favor of reducing cruelty to animals, I think it's a worthy cause, but PETA just goes way too far in their tactics so no one takes them seriously.

I like the libertarians I meet. They are bright and well educated on the issues. They are people of principle in general I find.

They just believe in a system that is unworkable. The unfettered market throughout history has produced short bursts of great stuff and then is quickly turned into a money funneling scheme to a few and before long you have a monarchy.

I wish it would work like they say it would. That would really be great. To allow people to just produce, sell and buy things freely and everyone would play fair and honor hard work and accept intellecual property. I would really love it. The problem is it never has and never will work any more than communism works like its supposed to on paper.

Polly Anna Ideas, they are a thing of beauty that cant swim the currents of real life.

FDR's policies prolonged Depression by 7 years, UCLA economists calculate / UCLA Newsroom

How FDR's New Deal Harmed Millions of Poor People

Cassandra syndrome my ass. Cassandra didn't do it to herself. If anything, Libertarians are masochists. 15 years ago the LP actually had several high-profile public servants in my area. Now, they don't campaign locally because they're focusing on federal offices. All of those gains are lost. The LP actually tried to pass Bob Barr off as a Libertarian, and Shane Cory is sending out campaign mass emails bragging about the fact that the dog catcher in Albuquerque is a Libertarian. Quit your bitching, get off your lazy ass and go back to what worked in the first place,local door-to-door canvassing.

You are confused if you think the Libertarian Party represents all Libertarians.

FDR's policies prolonged Depression by 7 years, UCLA economists calculate / UCLA Newsroom

How FDR's New Deal Harmed Millions of Poor People

Kevin that was two guys at UCLA who never quite seemed to figure in the Dust Bowl effects on the economy at the time.

You are confused if you think the Libertarian Party represents all Libertarians.

No, I'm not confused at all. And the only thing worse than advocating for a Party that is running itself into the ground is marginalizing yourself within that community. Talk about confused.

Here 'ya go:

$librarian_google_tee_opt.jpg

I like some Libertarian ideas but some of them just go too far. I liked Ron Paul but after seeing him on The Daily Show or Colbert Report I knew he didn't have a chance. He tossed out those abolish the IRS ideas and I just knew no one would take him seriously. It's like PETA... I'm all in favor of reducing cruelty to animals, I think it's a worthy cause, but PETA just goes way too far in their tactics so no one takes them seriously.

I suppose the question becomes would you support the abolishment of the IRS and the repeal of the 16th amendment? Knowing that the majority would not take him seriously, and not taking him seriously yourself are two different things.

Forum List

Back