What is your national sport?

Basketball is too squeaky. :lol:
I find them cool the American team when they come to the Olympics :thup:

I do not know much about baseball but I think that the atmosphere is very good, a summer sport that is played only in the evening?
The lights and the popcorn, hot dog this atmosphere seems very unique

Usually but not always in the evening. Never on Sundays (almost).

Until not many years ago there was one ball park in Chicago that had no lights for the field at all. Every game was in daytime. And we traditionalists were sad to see that change.

Thinking back I would say probably most of the baseball games I have been to have been day games.

It is a very summery, outdoors kind of sport.

Ok thanks for your answers, I also saw on the show Pawn Star that it is the baseball your oldest sport in the USA?

Of the major ones baseball is oldest, yes I believe so. Well back into the 19th century and its prior forms at least into the 18th century.

We are in baseball season right now. The only reason we have football and basketball is that it eventually gets too cold to play baseball. And the only reason we have hockey is that Canada invaded us when it saw we had a dead spot after everybody was tired of playing basketball.

Which doesn't take long. :eusa_shifty:

It's hard to pin down the beginnings of both baseball and hockey. They both have precursors which might be considered early versions of the sport. Baseball is the oldest by the most commonly accepted beginnings, though, I think, at least of the 4 major pro sports. Plenty of other sports are older, of course (depending on what one considers to be a sport).

Here in France they say it's baseball your national sport, is this true? :dunno:

Baseball used to the the national pasttime but NFL Football took over as the national sport a couple decades ago. What is it in France? Soccer?

I'm not aware of NFL "taking over", sorry.

I do know we have a sports TV network that seems to think nothing else exits, but that's their error.

Here in France they say it's baseball your national sport, is this true? :dunno:

Baseball used to the the national pasttime but NFL Football took over as the national sport a couple decades ago. What is it in France? Soccer?

I do know we have a sports TV network that seems to think nothing else exits, but that's their error.

Baseball hasn't been the most popular sport in the US in decades. Calling it the national pastime is one of those "that's the way it's always been done" things you seem to hate. :eusa_whistle:

Baseball hasn't been the most popular sport in the US in decades. Calling it the national pastime is one of those "that's the way it's always been done" things you seem to hate. :eusa_whistle:

That's a common aphorism. I've never heard anything else called the national pastime, but that's not "doing" something.

I don't know what's "most popular", or how one would measure that, but the OP asked what the "national sport" is, not what's the "most popular". Anyway I don't think the fact that ESPN is obsessed with it makes it the "most popular" anyway.

:D

You mean the NFL Network?

Yeah, the Exclusively Sports Prejudiced toward NFL Network.

That's a common aphorism. I've never heard anything else called the national pastime, but that's not "doing" something.

I don't know what's "most popular", or how one would measure that, but the OP asked what the "national sport" is, not what's the "most popular". Anyway I don't think the fact that ESPN is obsessed with it makes it the "most popular" anyway.

Having no idea what I'd find I looked up Major League Baseball and National Football League total attendance figures for the last available year, 2017. Pro sports only, understanding these do not represent "all" of the sports.

A bit over 17.2 million people attended NFL games last year, while
a bit over 72.6 million attended MLB games.

So I'm still a bit unclear where y'all get this idea that "football has eclipsed baseball decades ago".

Last edited:

Having no idea what I'd find I looked up Major League Baseball and National Football League total attendance figures for the last available year, 2017. Pro sports only, understanding these do not represent "all" of the sports.

So I'm still a bit unclear where y'all get this idea that "football has eclipsed baseball".

Think about it again, dumbass.

Yeah, the Exclusively Sports Prejudiced toward NFL Network.

:lol:

The French have had a pretty fair rugby squad over the years. Here, it may be football.

Some American sports exist only in the USA like Baseball and basketball if I'm not wrong?
Hockey we find it everywhere in the world

I believe basketball has spread to at least Asia.

Baseball is intensely popular in Latin America and Japan, and is significant in Korea and some other places.

We have professional baseball players playing right now from Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Colombia, Panama, Mexico, Brazil, Canada, Australia, China, Korea, Japan, South Africa and there are a few coming from Europe.

Most teams have a ton of players from Venezuela and the DR. It would be unusual to find a team on the field where the predominant language is not Spanish. Which makes it all the more ironic that each game begins with the national anthem of a country that most of them are not even citizens of :lol: --- but that's a whole 'nother story.

Basketball is pretty much world wide now.

Yes Soccer and la pétanque, une partie de boule, i show you in a video .:)

One of my favorite film :)

So I'm still a bit unclear where y'all get this idea that "football has eclipsed baseball decades ago".

Even ignoring things like revenue and television viewership, baseball has 100x as many games as football, so they get quite a bit fewer people at each game based on those numbers.

Even ignoring things like revenue and television viewership, baseball has 100x as many games as football, so they get quite a bit fewer people at each game based on those numbers.

Actually it's ten times. Even I can do that math. :oops: 162 vs. 16, almost exactly ten.

Baseball has a longer season, but then again it's arguable that if football were the "national sport", IT would have the longer season. They'd be playing into January and February and the Stupor Bowl would coincide with Spring Training. And baseball has been stretched to such an early point in the year, if football predominated MLB could wait for better weather, as it used to.

It's a nebulous concept that has no concrete answer but I was just looking for some basis for this belief that "it used to be baseball, now it's football". I didn't find one.

Basketball is too squeaky. :lol:
I find them cool the American team when they come to the Olympics :thup:

I do not know much about baseball but I think that the atmosphere is very good, a summer sport that is played only in the evening?
The lights and the popcorn, hot dog this atmosphere seems very unique

The game itself is very unique. Unlike most common sports it has nothing to do with moving a ball toward some kind of goal. And it's the only sport I know where the defense always has the ball -- in fact if the offense even touches the ball they get penalized. I don't know any other sport that works that way.

Actually it's ten times. Even I can do that math. :oops: 162 vs. 16, almost exactly ten.

Baseball has a longer season, but then again it's arguable that if football were the "national sport", IT would have the longer season. They'd be playing into January and February and the Stupor Bowl would coincide with Spring Training. And baseball has been stretched to such an early point in the year, if football predominated MLB could wait for better weather, as it used to.

It's a nebulous concept that has no concrete answer but I was just looking for some basis for this belief that "it used to be baseball, now it's football". I didn't find one.

LOL, I sure did add an extra 0.

Football has the most watched event, the Super Bowl, by far. Football has the most revenues, although baseball does surprisingly well. Top Professional Sports Leagues by Revenue

In 2016, the top 10 most watch sports events in the US were all NFL games. What The 10 Most Viewed Sports Events Tells Us About Our Bond With The NFL, NBA And College Sports

The most money brought in, the most people watching per game, both in the stands and on television, the most watched sports event in the country every year for years. Football is clearly more popular than the other major sports in the US by most metrics.

On the other hand, if you want to judge national pastime by what game people play most often, that's different. It might be baseball, although Wiki (the only place I found numbers in a quick search) puts basketball slightly ahead of baseball: Sports in the United States - Wikipedia

Baseball is still surprisingly popular, but it is not at the level of the NFL as far as professional sports go.

Forum List

Back