What is Your Money Saving Tip?

1. myfax.com is $10/ month and lets me give up the second phone line that used to cost $55.
2. I'm going to phone.com to get rid of the 1st phone line. It will be the same number that I've had for years and port directly to my cell phone. $10/ month vs $80.
3. I called the cable company and told them to save me money. I now have a 2 year commitment and save $5/ month.

you should be aware that not having a landline will probably affect response time on 911 calls. most states send cellular 911 to the state police who then contact the appropriate local fire/police dept.

minutes count if someone's having a heart attack
just food for thought

you should be aware that not having a landline will probably affect response time on 911 calls. most states send cellular 911 to the state police who then contact the appropriate local fire/police dept.

just food for thought

That's a good point. I have basic service with Verizon and It costs only $25 a month.

Good ideas. I'd have to look into who can process deer. There's not a whole lot of people going hunting for deer here in Brooklyn. The chicken dish does sound good and healthy.

But dropping the landline is a no no here in NYC. I couldn't call anyone on my cell during 9/11.

yea.. im out in the midwest where deer populations have to be culled every year or they play havok on our roads and properties. When a deer has smashed through your sliding glass door it's a problem.

I do highly recommend the pressure cooked veggies in a red lager. That shit is so good you won't even use butter or salt. I guess my main point was to set aside three hours on Sundays to batch cook weekly lunches. That shit has saved me so much money it's crazy.

It's hunting season so I told my dad "Do not come home without a deer this year". I absolutely love deer meat and 1 deer can give two families meat for the year.

Tonight I discovered that all these years I've been buying Chicken Breast to make dinners when Chicken Thighs (without skin) are half the price and actually taste better. Breast are dry and thighs are juicy :)

I love deer meat too. and the Share the Harvest program in this state makes it tasty for the hunter and tasty for the food pantry!

Missouri Deer Hunting | Share the Harvest

Ditto that in Texas too----we got more of them critters than you can shake a stick at. Sure are good eating tho ! Plan to do a little hunting around Thanksgiving myself.

Can you send some over to Brookyn? I've never tasted venison.

just food for thought

Cell phone or Vonage type service both have this issue. You have to register your physical address with them to ensure reliable 911 location. Its not automatic like a land line.

It's hunting season so I told my dad "Do not come home without a deer this year". I absolutely love deer meat and 1 deer can give two families meat for the year.

Tonight I discovered that all these years I've been buying Chicken Breast to make dinners when Chicken Thighs (without skin) are half the price and actually taste better. Breast are dry and thighs are juicy :)
Why not buy the whole damn chicken? 1st night is a big meal, 2nd night is leftovers, then stew, then soup. My grandmaw did that every week, starting on Tuesday. Sunday was the big meal, and Monday was leftovers for that.

Poor, poor Bambi,,,,if he's not someone's dinner, this is what happens to him:

$bambi meets godzilla.jpg

-cut paid cable channels....hbo, showtime
-cut cell phone, got tracphone for emergencies, or for travel
-stopped buying the latest fashions in clothes and shoes
-cut call waiting, forwarding, caller id and voicemail off phone, use an old answering machine now
-cut our 3 overseas vacations a year and now take a local vacation once every1- 2 years
-hold on to our cars for 10 minimum years, 5 years without a car payment minimum.
-recycle everything that pays me! :)
-load a thermos of coffee every day for hubby to take to work
-brownbag hubby's lunch every day.
- got a car that gets 32 miles to the gallon 5 years ago for hubby's long drive to work.
-converted all credit cards to zero interest promotional credit cards, then paid them off.
-use cash for everything now, no accumilated credit card interest.
-found a cheaper auto and homeowner's insurance policy from a stable, local region Insurance company
-caulked my windows, bought storm doors for front and back, and weather stripping for doors and extra insulation for attic, foam insulation for electrical outlets on outside walls where they leaked air, installed electric heat fans in bathrooms so we don't need to turn the entire's house heat up when showering, bought foam pipe covers for the exposed water pipes for our heat and hotwater in the cellar.

ALL of this should save us 30% on our heating oil bill.
-bought firewood, should save another 20% on heating oil bill
-turn off all the lights
-use an oil lamp at night if just putzing on the computer
- bought a smaller flat screen lcd tv for the den vs a tube tv, cut the electric for the den use by 75%
-replaced my lights with 17 watt fluorescents, (i HATE THEM THOUGH)saving electric
-stopped leaving my porch light on or even turning it on.
-stopped eating out, instead every thursday, we meet with community friends at the local antique shop for a Pot Luck dinner where we each bring a dish....and just as yummy as eating out, with the selection of great, local, foods and recipes.
-befriended local farmers to buy my hormone free milk and fresh eggs and some of their in seson veggies before they sell them to the local grocers, (same people that own the antique shop, own 2 different farms, they are farmers....the antique shop is for fun :) )
-no movie theater, wait and buy the dvd to own.
-grow veggie garden in the summer
-never buy the newest, greatest gadgets anymore

Giving up ALL OF THESE THINGS and the concessions made saved us enough money....

to allow us to become a ONE INCOME family....thus, i retired young and hubby is really only part time, 35 hours a week or less working! :)

Are we poor now? Maybe in finances, but rich in life!!! we at LEAST get to see eachother now, instead of just ships passing in the night!

This is what we wanted, but for others these things could just save you money to do what you want to do with it....!

care

Forum List

Back