What is your gig?

What is Your Gig?

• Total voters
I'm a customer service rep in the banking industry and I totally kick ass at it.

And for anyone that cares, I'm just killing time waiting for a ride because I am not going to be able to drive home tonight. :tongue:

No....your probably going to choose not to go home tonight....but rather inebriate yourself to the point of sacking out with some random person....

I'm a customer service rep in the banking industry and I totally kick ass at it.

And for anyone that cares, I'm just killing time waiting for a ride because I am not going to be able to drive home tonight. :tongue:

No....your probably going to choose not to go home tonight....but rather inebriate yourself to the point of sacking out with some random person....

Nope, won't happen.

Nope, won't happen.

Please don't ruin my fantasies.....

P.S. - The top line is true. I work in a cemetary. Actually, it is a big corporation owns it, but they pay me fairly for what I do. The industry is still heavily regulated from its bitch-slap for greed in the 70's & 80'S. The paperwork sucks but it's a living.

In 1972 I left a salaried corporate job as an industrial engineer to follow my genetic stamp and my heart. My last name means “carpenter” or “builder” in Old English and it does in Scotland still today. For the next 34 years I built custom homes for customers and for the speculative market, and developed land into lots on which most of them would be built; all together about 109 residential lots and a little less than a hundred homes. That’s not a whole lot of houses for all those 34 years, less than 3 per year. But my crew, made up of young guys who wanted to learn the trade and I built them the hard way, one at a time, stick framing, never any trusses.

I tried to train them all to go out and do the same thing we were doing including the bidding and contracting, and arranging financing. Some became carpenters, remodelers, and builders on their own, and some left it entirely, seeing no future in it. Some would go to work for others as hourly employees and went on into sales of construction materials. I only took on what my crew and I could handle efficiently to produce the highest quality of work, never just subbed them out, and only started a new one when we got the last one substantially “under control”.

All in all during those 34 years I couldn’t have had more fun doing anything other than what I did. Almost every day was a joy beyond what I felt entitled. There was a sense of accomplishment, even when only spent as a day planning or catching up on some of those days when weather prevented our working. But when the rain stopped I preferred climbing into a muddy ditch to “muck” it out rather than give that work to one of my guys. I would give them the inside-work to get done, depriving them of what I liked to call “the really good stuff”.

Since 2006, after a four month stint as an overseer of a crew of electricians on a commercial job which I found to be miserable work, I settled into working strictly by myself on small remodeling projects like room-additions, finishing basements, bath and kitchen re-does, retrofits, or repairs that people have a hard time getting done. And I can still always find some of my old employees to help me out in a pinch.

The recent flap over the financial sector has slowed some of my customers from going ahead, but they've already reconciled themselves to their paper losses so hopefully they will come around.

Joe, I've got an idea what you might do. My wife and I bought us a spot high up "on the heavenly level" in a mausoleum. They'll have to lift us up there with a 'real pretty' fork lift when the time comes I imagine. All the 'drawers' are accessed from a paved surface outside the building. I went there and paid for the final arrangements, and saw where we will be spending a lot of meaningless time one of these days. One thing about that type of interment; there are going to be extremes; some really cold days, and some really hot ones.

There's a Zen Sutra about death that goes like this:

the Buddhist Sutra of Mindfulness speaks about the meditation on the corps;
meditate on the decomposition of the body, how the body bloats and turns violet, how it is eaten by worms until only bits of blood and flesh still cling to the bones. Meditate up to the point where only white bones remain, which in turn are slowly worn away and turn into dust. Meditate like that, knowing that your own body will undergo the same process. Mediate on the corpse until you are calm and at peace, until your mind and heart are light and tranquil and a smile appears on your face. Thus, by overcoming revulsion and fear, life will be seen as infinitely precious, every second of it worth living.

Thich Nhat Hanh​

Last edited:
i said leadership because i was a great Boss and taught all of my employees all that i knew, never afraid of them one day taking my place or job away.....this produced at least 15 of my own employees to become managers or supervisors or even directors such as myself, for the company in other areas of the business...

this was not teaching young kids, but some of them were kids to me, in their early twenties.

Damn, Care... That is an accomplishment!

You said 'was'. What did you do? Private company or government?

I was thinking 'leadership' industry as in 'public sector'.

-Joe

I worked for 3-4 different corporations, my last position was Product Marketing Manager/Director at a division of Reebok....I was in the shoe industry....was a Buyer/Merchandise Manager before this at a major Department Store, also a Corporation ...2 of them, one was bought out.

All traded on the Stock Market, very large corporations....in fact, outside of a small stint when right out of school, at Jackson Memorial Hospital,& John Elliott Community Blood Center, (also a small time at Holiday Inn civic center right next to Jackson),

I've only worked for very, very large Corporations so this is why my knowledge is lacking in small business practices and taxes and stuff, so I end up asking alot of silly questions to the guys that own their own/family businesses on this site, skull/bern etc.

I left the business in my early 40's and retired, we eventually moved up here to maine, while my husband continues to work.

Care

Last edited:
I have been a man of many hats..but for me my latest employ is the most surreal of all i monitor CCTV screens and operate all doors and man traps at a banking warehouse... just like a high security prison without any prisoners I'm locked down in a bullet proof control room for 9 hrs ...its always kind of weird when a huge load of money comes in millions at a time ..there is always a tension and quasi-military feel in the air..

and when you see this enormous pile of cash I swear the karmic energy is like Satan himself is present...the dark lord has arrived...

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh and it is not, Money that is the Root of all evil,

it is:

The LOVE of Money is the root of all evil!

Last edited:
i said leadership because i was a great Boss and taught all of my employees all that i knew, never afraid of them one day taking my place or job away.....this produced at least 15 of my own employees to become managers or supervisors or even directors such as myself, for the company in other areas of the business...

this was not teaching young kids, but some of them were kids to me, in their early twenties.

Damn, Care... That is an accomplishment!

You said 'was'. What did you do? Private company or government?

I was thinking 'leadership' industry as in 'public sector'.

-Joe

I worked for 3-4 different corporations, my last position was Product Marketing Manager/Director at a division of Reebok....I was in the shoe industry....was a Buyer/Merchandise Manager before this at a major Department Store, also a Corporation ...2 of them, one was bought out.

All traded on the Stock Market, very large corporations....in fact, outside of a small stint when right out of school, at Jackson Memorial Hospital,& John Elliott Community Blood Center, (also a small time at Holiday Inn civic center right next to Jackson),

I've only worked for very, very large Corporations so this is why my knowledge is lacking in small business practices and taxes and stuff, so I end up asking alot of silly questions to the guys that own their own/family businesses on this site, skull/bern etc.

I left the business in my early 40's and retired, we eventually moved up here to maine, while my husband continues to work.

Care

Awesome job at 'the game of life'. Two gold stars and a cookie for you, young lady!

-Joe

In two words: federal involvement.

And it isn't just the schools that have problems. Talk to any small businessman whose grown a small business from mom and pop with occasional help from the kids to 50 or 60 employees. You hit that fifth employee and depending on what your business involves you may well need to higher a sixth just to make sure you are in compliance with all the new federal rules and regulations that suddenly impact your business adn from their on every five to ten people you add until you hit fifty or so you are impacted by a whole new set of rules and regulations.

It isn't unusual for some business to have departments whose so purpose for existing is to make sure that they are incompliance with the various federal state and local rules and regulations that apply to their business.

This isn't my first gig in Health Care - I've also worked in emergency as a first responder - The paperwork required to 'cover the hospitals ass' is at least a third of the job. There has to be a better way.

-Joe

American EDUCATION is in trouble because the AMERICAN FAMILY is in trouble.

Fix the state of affairs for American families, and the schools will do just fine.

Nope, won't happen.

Please don't ruin my fantasies.....

For a wounded man shall say to his assailent
If i die you are forgiven
If i live i will kill you
Such is the rule of honor...

It figures that you can't look at another human without wanting to fuck them... look at your signature line.

I'm glad humanity is growing beyond its 'toddler' phase, and that definition of 'honor' is about to fade into history.

-Joe

Last edited:

Fix the state of affairs for American families, and the schools will do just fine.

While the raising of children is part of many problems ... it is not the primary reason for education failing. However nether is funding. The problem is that teachers and parents spend more time bickering and pointing fingers at each other than they do teaching the children.

P.S. - The top line is true. I work in a cemetary. Actually, it is a big corporation owns it, but they pay me fairly for what I do. The industry is still heavily regulated from its bitch-slap for greed in the 70's & 80'S. The paperwork sucks but it's a living.

In 1972 I left a salaried corporate job as an industrial engineer to follow my genetic stamp and my heart. My last name means “carpenter” or “builder” in Old English and it does in Scotland still today. For the next 34 years I built custom homes for customers and for the speculative market, and developed land into lots on which most of them would be built; all together about 109 residential lots and a little less than a hundred homes. That’s not a whole lot of houses for all those 34 years, less than 3 per year. But my crew, made up of young guys who wanted to learn the trade and I built them the hard way, one at a time, stick framing, never any trusses.

I tried to train them all to go out and do the same thing we were doing including the bidding and contracting, and arranging financing. Some became carpenters, remodelers, and builders on their own, and some left it entirely, seeing no future in it. Some would go to work for others as hourly employees and went on into sales of construction materials. I only took on what my crew and I could handle efficiently to produce the highest quality of work, never just subbed them out, and only started a new one when we got the last one substantially “under control”.

All in all during those 34 years I couldn’t have had more fun doing anything other than what I did. Almost every day was a joy beyond what I felt entitled. There was a sense of accomplishment, even when only spent as a day planning or catching up on some of those days when weather prevented our working. But when the rain stopped I preferred climbing into a muddy ditch to “muck” it out rather than give that work to one of my guys. I would give them the inside-work to get done, depriving them of what I liked to call “the really good stuff”.

Since 2006, after a four month stint as an overseer of a crew of electricians on a commercial job which I found to be miserable work, I settled into working strictly by myself on small remodeling projects like room-additions, finishing basements, bath and kitchen re-does, retrofits, or repairs that people have a hard time getting done. And I can still always find some of my old employees to help me out in a pinch.

The recent flap over the financial sector has slowed some of my customers from going ahead, but they've already reconciled themselves to their paper losses so hopefully they will come around.

Joe, I've got an idea what you might do. My wife and I bought us a spot high up "on the heavenly level" in a mausoleum. They'll have to lift us up there with a 'real pretty' fork lift when the time comes I imagine. All the 'drawers' are accessed from a paved surface outside the building. I went there and paid for the final arrangements, and saw where we will be spending a lot of meaningless time one of these days. One thing about that type of interment; there are going to be extremes; some really cold days, and some really hot ones.

There's a Zen Sutra about death that goes like this:

the Buddhist Sutra of Mindfulness speaks about the meditation on the corps;
meditate on the decomposition of the body, how the body bloats and turns violet, how it is eaten by worms until only bits of blood and flesh still cling to the bones. Meditate up to the point where only white bones remain, which in turn are slowly worn away and turn into dust. Meditate like that, knowing that your own body will undergo the same process. Mediate on the corpse until you are calm and at peace, until your mind and heart are light and tranquil and a smile appears on your face. Thus, by overcoming revulsion and fear, life will be seen as infinitely precious, every second of it worth living.

Thich Nhat Hanh​

Cool post brother. You are part of the America of my dreams.

-Joe

While the raising of children is part of many problems ... it is not the primary reason for education failing. However nether is funding. The problem is that teachers and parents spend more time bickering and pointing fingers at each other than they do teaching the children.

The education industry needs to be managed as locally as possible... a kid growing up in the heart of a big city needs a different education from a kid growing up in a small mid-western town. Similar on the basics to be certain, but customized.

-Joe

The education industry needs to be managed as locally as possible... a kid growing up in the heart of a big city needs a different education from a kid growing up in a small mid-western town. Similar on the basics to be certain, but customized.

-Joe

Um ... while focusing on strengths and weaknesses of a childs learning "style" will benefit them, what is taught should be the same, or are you holding to the stereotype that hicks are less capable of understanding higher levels of knowledge?

-Joe

Um ... while focusing on strengths and weaknesses of a childs learning "style" will benefit them, what is taught should be the same, or are you holding to the stereotype that hicks are less capable of understanding higher levels of knowledge?

Not at all. I'm saying that the education industry in down-town Los Angeles, California is going to face different problems and is going to have to prepare its customers for different ways to make a living than the education industry in Jeffrey City, Wyoming.

Obviously, the primary grades will be almost identical, but high schools and vocational schools need a local focus with a world view.

Local management of resources spent can better address those differences.

-Joe

Forum List

Back