What is your favorite part about U.S.History?

I don't know whether they will be this in-depth even in AP High School history, but I had a class in college called American Political Thought which reviewed several political threads that came together in the founding of the nation. So, I would say that combined with the revolution and Constitution would be one favorite.

The other would be World War II. It is so large a topic with so many facets that it literally boggles the mind. I've read volumes about the political history from all sides, biographies of individuals, histories of battles and campaigns, watched dozens of documentaries on all of the above and still feel like I've just scratched the surface.

Well, she is two weeks into class, she loves her class and her teacher. She loves History, right now she wants to be a History teacher!

Thank you everyone for your opinions, it was great to hear what you all loved learning about!

Interesting thread. Personally I like ideas and how they change, the revolutionary period and the great depression are two periods that helped define America. Both periods were times of turmoil that required a sense of community that seems almost un-American sometimes, we are so strongly individuals.

If you want to read history as it happened, along with cultural or other details that fill out the often hidden background, check out William Manchester's 'The Glory and the Dream.' The narrative covers 1932 to 72. Excellent read, unbiased by today's revisionist standards.

Last edited:
My daughter just got done with her AP Euro Class for the year, and she LOVED IT!

Next year she takes AP US History. She said she doesn't think it will be as interesting since our country isn't as old as Europe. I told her there are MANY interesting things to learn abour our country.

What is/was your favorite thing to study/read about in US History?

Civil War. Fascinating stuff. My personal hobby. I hop on the M/C every weekend and discover more stuff around here - totally off the tourist radar screen - for example.... Potomac Creek Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My daughter just got done with her AP Euro Class for the year, and she LOVED IT!

Next year she takes AP US History. She said she doesn't think it will be as interesting since our country isn't as old as Europe. I told her there are MANY interesting things to learn abour our country.

What is/was your favorite thing to study/read about in US History?

US Revolutionary-era diplomatic history is pretty damned interesting.

And as it is entirely wrapped up in the state of European geo-ppolitical machinations of that age, your daughter will be able to understand what is motivating the Euros to help the fledgling USA in its fight against Britian, too.

That history has got secret conspiracies, international corporations, gun running, international financial considerations, PLUS Ben Franklin charming the every loving bejesus out of the woman of France, and how important those charmed woman's opinions were to getting FRANCE to help America, too.

It is, in my opinion, one of the neatest stories about that era that is too seldom told.

Another story she might find interesting is the one about how New Jersey anti-Brit TERRORISTS probably SAVED the revolution while GW and Co were taking refuge at Valley Forge.

Last edited:
Histoy is always fascinating, as much of the characters and events are often larger than fiction.

For American History, my favorite subject would be exploration of the West, from the Revolution onward. Not the military conquest part, but the basic exploration such as the Corps of Discovery, and the contributions of the mountain men, Fremont, and others.

Forum List

Back