What is your favorite part about U.S.History?

I think we are going to stop by Williamsburg, etc. on our way to the Keys in July. My dad always took us to "Civil War Era' places as a kid and I LOVED it. He was a real history buff too. I think once she sees 'real' American History she'll love it as much as I do!

Thanks to you all for your responsonses! Interesting stuff! :clap2:

World war two is my favorite. Closest to clean cut goodness we have ever had save for that little Japanese internment thing.

Really the whole era comes up in everything still. Soo many of the lines in the sand we fight over were drawn during and after the war

My daughter just got done with her AP Euro Class for the year, and she LOVED IT!

Next year she takes AP US History. She said she doesn't think it will be as interesting since our country isn't as old as Europe. I told her there are MANY interesting things to learn abour our country.

What is/was your favorite thing to study/read about in US History?

When Andrew Jackson ended the bank and the national debt, for one.

My daughter just got done with her AP Euro Class for the year, and she LOVED IT!

Next year she takes AP US History. She said she doesn't think it will be as interesting since our country isn't as old as Europe. I told her there are MANY interesting things to learn abour our country.

When Andrew Jackson ended the bank and the national debt, for one.

I find Andrew Jackson to be the most interesting president.

The part where conservatives had nothing to do with forming the nation..indeed they sided with the King..and later on when they got their asses kicked during the Whiskey Rebellion and the Civil War.

That..and kicking the asses of German Conservatives who thought they could commit genocide and get away with it.

I find it a shame that John C. Calhoun did not live long enough to see his ideas destroy the South.

I think it was Calhoun that proposed amending the Constitution so that we elected two presidents, one from the free states and one from the slave states. Things like that are why the antebellum period really interesting. There are all of these complex issues, and it seems like a big chunk of time was spent thinking up off-the-wall solutions.

The battle of Iwo Jima.

The part where conservatives had nothing to do with forming the nation..indeed they sided with the King..and later on when they got their asses kicked during the Whiskey Rebellion and the Civil War.

That..and kicking the asses of German Conservatives who thought they could commit genocide and get away with it.

WTF are you talking about???

SeriousCat.jpg

Well, I loved the painting of General George Washington's prayer at Valley Forge. His troops were cold, they were hungry, and had literally marched their shoes off. He so dearly loved his men for their sacrifices, he asked God to intervene at their lowest time, and I think his faith saved not only them, but this nation. Apparently, the Continental Congress thought so, too, and they made him their first President of the newly-formed Democratic Republic they created so that all men could have personal liberty and find happiness here in America for ever.

Painted by Arnold Friberg in 1976, the Bicentennial year:

pvf2.jpg

The Prayer at Valley Forge

"I was riding with Mr. Potts near to the Valley Forge where the army lay during the war of ye Revolution, when Mr. Potts said, 'Do you see that woods & that plain? There laid the army of Washington. It was a most distressing time of ye war, and all were for giving up the Ship but that great and good man. In that woods (pointing to a close in view) I heard a plaintive sound as of a man at prayer. I tied my horse to a sapling & went quietly into the woods. To my astonishment I saw the great George Washington on his knees alone, with his sword on one side and his cocked hat on the other. He was at Prayer to the God of the Armies, beseeching to interpose with his Divine aid, as it was ye Crisis & the cause of the country, of humanity & of the world. Such a prayer I never heard from the lips of man. I left him alone praying. I went home & told my wife. We never thought a man could be a soldier & a Christian, but if there is one in the world, it is Washington. We thought it was the cause of God & America could prevail."

Source: Eyewitness testimony of Isaac Potts, a Valley Forge resident who shared the following story with the Rev. Nathaniel Randolph Snowden (1770-1851), who then recorded it in his "Diary and Remembrances."

I absolutely love the story of George Washington, and I sought and got a cookbook of Martha Washington's on ebay, not to mention a little cup and saucer depicting their courtship. George Washington put everything he had on the line for the new Republic. What a wonderful person to be bestowed the title of "The Father of his Country."

I love this reading, also: Why is George Washington considered the Father of this nation?

I'm just apes for George and Martha Washington. Totally love them.

Last edited:

I've always loved a good mystery.

So my favorite thing over all is the Lost Colony of Roanoke.

Though I do have to have a bit of admiration for my famous relatives John Marshal and Thomas Jefferson. A real shame it's not a direct link but damned close. (John is the Brother of my great great Great grandfather.)

What is your favorite part about U.S.History?

When Sarah Palin rewrote it.

Forum List

Back