What is your comfort food?

Discussion in 'Food & Wine' started by JalsN, Nov 3, 2017.

1. SeaGal

SeaGal Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +812
    Grilled cheese with collard greens, or grilled cheese and collards (on the side)? :)

I often add ham before grilling the cheese sandwich - or sliced ripe tomato. Never tried it with balsamic reduction/glaze, sounds good.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,246
    I saute the collard greens that I'd previously prepared as side dish for a meal and put them inside the sandwich, much as one might put lettuce inside a cold sandwich. I saute them only enough to heat them because when I use them this way, they're cold from being in the fridge or "root cellar," and I don't want to put cold greens inside a sandwich depends on cheese melting. Some folks may care for the "hot-cold" contrast, but that's not what I'm going for when I prepare a grilled cheese sandwich.

If the sandwich is thin enough, one may be able to get away without having to preheat any of the ingredients. If the sandwich is really hearty and one is grilling it or pan-grilling it, however, the bread could burn before all the ingredients inside become hot.

Grilled Cheese, collards and mushroom

[​IMG]

Grilled cheese, collards and veal parmesan cutlet

[​IMG]

Grilled cheese, collards, pickle, salami and ham (pretend the collards are in the photo; there're not in this one but they would be were it my photo; the vinegary pickles really pick-up the collards and are a great compliment for a syrupy balsamic dipping sauce)

[​IMG]

Collards, egg and ham on a biscuit ("nuked" to melt the cheese -- no need to saute any of the fillings that were already cooked as nuking them will heat everything.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  3. TheProgressivePatriot

TheProgressivePatriot Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    The commie infested, queer loving liberal NE USA
    Ratings:
    +3,057

Attached Files:

4. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,246
    FWIW, I made one today.
    • T-giving leftover St. Andre mashed potato formed into a patty and sauteed a crust onto it (2 minutes)
    • Sliced and then sauteed (to reheat) some leftover beef short rib from T-giving dinner (minute and a half)
    • Collard greens, sauteed until hot (1 minute)
    • Cheese
    • Put the ingredients between two slices of bread (I used pumpernickel this time), putting cheese between each ingredient, put the sandwich in a skillet in which I'd melted a pat of butter and cooked it until the bread was slightly past golden brown.

Yes, I know the bread is brown, but hopefully you get the idea. I like a tiny bit of char flavor, but sometimes I don't want to watch the cooking closely enough to achieve a non-burnt char. Other times, I get distracted and end up with char even if I didn't want it. LOL What is there to say? Cooking happens...Or, "sometimes you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't." LOL

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  5. SeaGal

SeaGal Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +812

Well ah'll be. I've grown, harvested and prepared collards nearly all my life and never once did I put them on a sandwich, never known anyone else to do it either. :biggrin:
    I do like large limas cooked soft and thick, seasoned with ham over cornbread and chopped sweet onions sprinkled on top, collards on the side...a winter comfort food! Or grits and greens - but collards on a sandwich...hard to wrap my mind around it. :)

Looks very yummy! They all do! I like to sear the ham and/or tomato also before grilling the sandwich.

6. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,246
    Well, now there's something I'd have thought oxymoronic had you not posted the link. I'm still wondering what "vegetarian Chorizo" is. Is it some sort of non-meat "stuff" that has Chorizo sausage's flavor profile?

OT:
    Have you noticed that many vegan/vegetarian foods are described/referred to in terms of meat-based foods they resemble rather than directly for what they are? For example:
    • Vegan meatloaf -- If there's meat in it, it's not vegan. If there's no meat in it, it's not a loaf of meat.
    • Chickpea meatloaf -- Okay, so if one puts chickpeas in one's meatloaf, that name/description makes sense. If one puts no meat in the dish, it's a chickpea loaf, not a meatloaf.
    • Vegan butter -- What? There is no way for butter to be vegan. "I can't believe it's not butter." Well, let me just tell you that what you believe or don't has nothing to do with it; it ain't butter, no matter how much it may taste like butter.

[​IMG]

7. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,436
    Chicken pot pie, Lasagna, Risotto and Butternut Squash Bisque with a BLT.

8. Windparadox

Windparadox VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    `
    `

Sub sandwiches, especially from "Suburpia" in Milwaukee.

9. Crixus

Crixus Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,384

Goat tacos, onions, peppers a beer and some nice homegrown. I prefer Modello when I eat Mexican food.

10. OldLady

OldLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,575
    Mashed potatoes. So Shepherd's Pie, no matter if it's chef-fancy with lamb and deep rich gravy or hamburger and cream of mushroom soup, so long as it's loaded with mashed potatoes on top.