What is your comfort food?

Mashed potatoes. So Shepherd's Pie, no matter if it's chef-fancy with lamb and deep rich gravy or hamburger and cream of mushroom soup, so long as it's loaded with mashed potatoes on top.

Real ones, preferably leftover spuds. Not instant.

Mashed potatoes. So Shepherd's Pie, no matter if it's chef-fancy with lamb and deep rich gravy or hamburger and cream of mushroom soup, so long as it's loaded with mashed potatoes on top.

That goes without saying.
I've never used leftover spuds, though. They have to be hot and fresh out of the boiling water to mash up right. How do you use leftovers?

That goes without saying.
I've never used leftover spuds, though. They have to be hot and fresh out of the boiling water to mash up right. How do you use leftovers?

Usually I toss them in a skillet until they are warm and move around alittle better. I also add just enough water to make it so they will kind of fill all the books and crannys on top of what ever my shepherds pie mix is. I did it with rabbit once and it was awesome. Leftovers can make a mean shepherds pie like substance that will knock your socks off.

What is that one thing that makes the whole world just a bit more wonderful for you? :)

Fried Broccoli Rigoletti (extra crispy) from Ferraro's Italian in Ventura, CA.

Sadly I live in Boise, ID and don't get down there very often. But I did find a recipe that just might work!

Ferraro's Fried Rigoletti
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:31 PM
Subject: Fried Rigoletti Recipe

Hi Phaedrus,
I've tried for years to get the recipe--hours of searching all over the internet and
from the restaurant itself; I've asked them when they will make a recipe book? It's
an old family restaurant, Ferarro's Italian in Ventura, CA. They make the best Fried
Rigoletti with Brocolli. Never had it anywhere else. It's crunchy, cheezy, gooey, and
enough to make me drive across 3 states to eat it! Served with their amazing Marinara
on the side, it's heaven on a plate.

Can you help? Good Luck!

Thanks,

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Sorry, I had no success. Sounds like you've already covered all the bases anyhow. Keep trying, maybe someone will create a decent copycat.

Phaed

Hellen sent this recipe:

To: "Phaedrus"
Subject: Re: copycat of fried rigoletti recipe
Date: Thursday, December 03, 2009 8:00 PM

Hey Uncle P:

Please feel free to correct grammar or any culinary usage if needed; in fact, I would
really appreciate it.

The restaurant uses "7-11" tomato sauce for their base for tomato or marina sauce.
It comes as a restaurant sized can. To substitute, I found Trader Joe's basic marinara
sauce was closest. Just add some more oregano and cook down a bit and I think it will
be similar to Ferraro's.

you will need the following for the dish itself:

rigoletti cooked, drained
blanched or steamed cut broccoli pieces (flowers and stems)
oil (the restaurant didn't use extra virgin--maybe canola or a blend of pure olive oil and canola)
1 tbs or more of minced garlic
shredded mozorella cheese to cover pasta
salt and pepper to taste
casserole dish

Preheat oven to 350F
1. Cook the pasta according to package directions and set aside to cool.
2. Cut the broccoli and blanch or steam, cook halfway.
3. In a large pan, add oil and garlic when heat is turned on. Allow the garlic to
infuse the oil over medium heat but do not burn the garlic. When the pan is hot,
add the broccoli pieces and the pasta. Salt and pepper to taste. Saute and cook until
the pasta and broccoli are infused with the garlic and the oil.

In a casserole dish, add the sauteed pasta and broccoli mixture. Cover with shredded
mozorella cheese and bake until slightly golden brown on top.

What is that one thing that makes the whole world just a bit more wonderful for you? :)

This going to sound crazy but Chocolate Pudding on top of Banana Pudding with Strawberries ontop of the Chocolate Pudding and real bananas in the banana pudding...

I know it is girly for a man like me but make that wheb I am in my Hulk mood and watch how childish I become!

This going to sound crazy but Chocolate Pudding on top of Banana Pudding with Strawberries ontop of the Chocolate Pudding and real bananas in the banana pudding...

I know it is girly for a man like me but make that wheb I am in my Hulk mood and watch how childish I become!
That's not girlie! Chocolate cream pie--which is just chocolate pudding and whipped cream in a pie crust is MANY men's favorite.

That's not girlie! Chocolate cream pie--which is just chocolate pudding and whipped cream in a pie crust is MANY men's favorite.

Also love key lime pie... when I use to drink ( booze ) I would have a whole pie ready...

Forum List

Back