What is your #1 Thanksgiving tradition besides food?

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
For my family, it's everyone sharing what they are thankful for.

That's relatively new...the last 10 years or so.
Before that it was football and national geographic specials on tv.

My cleaning lady told me they had a "Blessing" box that was set up in the living room, and everytime someone (usually the person cleaning the living room that week) had a blessing they would write it on a little card and put it in the box...and they'd read it after Thanksgiving dinner.

I think that's a good idea, and I think I shall incorporate it for my little family.

Meanwhile, it's still about every single person - family, guests, homeless ppl, whomever, sharing one thing at least that they are thankful for.

I'm always thankful for God and for family.

• Banned
getting together with family and getting stoned and drunk as..f..k

And I'm sure that's fun for the entire family, who get to watch you doing that. Or maybe they all do.

Good grief. Apparently Thanksgiving means a whole different thing to loser men than it does to women.

To women, it's about gathering family around, sharing time together, sharing food.

To loser men it's apparently about sitting around, watching crappy tv and getting wasted.

I have you all beat. I can cook & get wasted. And yet still be sober enough for church.

Good grief. Apparently Thanksgiving means a whole different thing to loser men than it does to women.

To women, it's about gathering family around, sharing time together, sharing food.

To loser men it's apparently about sitting around, watching crappy tv and getting wasted.

I have you all beat. I can cook & get wasted. And yet still be sober enough for church.

hey no fair you said other than food...that's exactly what its all about..gathering the family ..spending time together(getting stoned and drunk) and eating turkey and stuffing and cranberry sauce and gravy,,,ummmmmm graaavy

Last edited:
Our Thanksgiving dinner tradition involves my husband criticizing how dry the turkey is and me begging my father not to talk politics. Then the women bitch and complain about everything we have to get ready for Christmas. Oh yeah. Can't wait. :cool:

Our Thanksgiving dinner tradition involves my husband criticizing how dry the turkey is and me begging my father not to talk politics. l:

That is strange and simular, my Thanksgiving dinner tradition involves me criticizing how dry my wife is and begging anyone in the room to talk about politics.

My kids go to the 'Turkey Trot' a 5k run to raise money for charity. They'll head over to their dad's for brunch, then over to 'my side' for dinner. This year for the older two, they'll proceed to their 'other's' families. I'm so glad I'm not them! 3 meals! :eek:

i grew up traveling on holidays....grandparents house...6 hours each way...every holiday....so we dont...we stay put....have the dinner...then knock about the house and do what we want...which right now is fuss over the birdfeeders....

detroit-lions2.jpg

I'll call whoever doesn't make it to dinner because they're out of town. This year it's sis, a bro, and one of my kids. If there's some down time we'll usually go to a movie, take a walk or a drive.

#1 tradition for the last 17 years is to avoid my ex-wife.

It all started 18 years ago on thanksgiving. Me and the wife had only been living in the state for 5 months, and she decided to host thanksgiving for the new friends we had made that had nowhere to go, and her brother from the southern part of the state.
She was cooking and I was talking care of the babies, and friends started showing up.
About noon, she got pissed off and ran off to the bedroom. I followed her to find out what was wrong, and she refused to talk to me. One of her friends went to talk to her, and after about 10 minutes she emerged from the bedroom, glared at me, grabbed two beers and returned to the bedroom. Another friend followed a few minutes later. Emerged after about 15 minutes, glared at me, grabbed 3 beers and returned to the room. One by one, each of the invited guests did the same activity. As each one emerged from the bedroom, they would glare at me, grab enough beers for everybody in the bedroom and return.
Finally, there was nobody left outside of the bedroom except for me and her brother. Now, I was cooking and taking care of the kids. Finally, her brother went to the bedroom to see what was going on. He came out, grabbed a few bottles of wine, enough glasses for everybody in the bedroom and returned to the room, but he didn't glare at me.
Eventually, it was time to eat. I had the table set, all the food ready and on the table so I knocked on the bedroom door and announced that dinner was ready.
Everybody emerged from the bedroom except my wife, and sat down to eat. Except for my wife. They informed me that she had passed out just minutes before I knocked on the door. I tried to have some conversation, but only my brother-in-law would participate, everybody else just seemed completely pissed off at me.
I finally asked why everybody was so damn mad at me. I wanted to know what the hell I had done that was so horrid that I was being treated like a leper. One of the ladies piped up, "It's because of what you said to her, you were being a total dick". So I asked her, what was it that I had said? She replied, "You told her to slow down on her drinking or she would get mean and pass out before it was time to eat".
Brother-in-law stands up, looks around the table and launches into a 5 minute speech that essentially boiled down to, She got drunk, she got nasty, she got all the rest of you pissed off, then she passed out before it was time to eat. Meanwhile, he finished preparing the meal and took care of the kids. I guess he was right. You people are pissed off at the wrong person.

And ever since then, I avoid the ex-wife on thanksgiving.

Forum List

Back