What is wrong with Romney?

As I'm pretty sure that the OP was asking Republican voters, I will answer. Keep in mind that even though I'm a registered Republican I am decidedly Libertarian.

Romney has a credibility issue with me. Even after I put aside all the things that I disagree with him on (Me, being a Libertarian) I just cannot trust him to do the things I would expect of a Republican. I am not convinced that he will repeal obamacare, I am not convinced that he will reduce government spending, and I am not convinced that he will run the country like a businessman. Having followed the last 2 presidential races, (9 in total) I am familiar with Romney, and familiar with what he says compared to wht he has done and what he has said.

That's what is wrong with Romney, and what is right about Romney is that with all his faults, he's 10 times better than obama.

why would you think the o/p is asking "republicans". i've voted republican enough times where i'm probably the better gauge. just sayin

thank you though for pointing out what the real problem is... it's the rightwingnut base and the difficulties of appealing to it if one is a normal moderate person.

btw, you aren't a libertarian if you're anti-choice.

just sayin

Correct, I was asking everyone. Also although we seem to differ politically your first post in this thread was I think mostly spot on, Romney is socially awkward. He grew up in a very different world than most of us, not his fault but it is what it is.

Also thank you for being basically the only person in the thread to respond to my actual questions instead of going off on some tangent based on the thread title.

Honestly, you think this is the guy who is going to go up against Obama and win? Seriously?

I don't know. He's not a particularly strong candidate. But he's the best the Republicans have on offer. And over the past two years, the economy has had a nasty habit of accelerating in the Spring only to fall off a cliff in the Summer.

Since you are so sure that he's going to lose, why haven't you put down a few thousand at Intrade?

Because I don't gamble and I think gambling should be illegal.

I'm sure he's going to lose, but I don't want him taking down the rest of the GOP with him.

The GOP should have had a good chance to take the White House, but they've blown that awesome advantage. That you're out there jacking off at the prospect of the economy going over the cliff is kind of frightening in and of itself.

Also, quite frankly, I'm kind of concerned what he'd do if he actually became president. We'd have more of the shit that we had when we got into this mess - more deregulation more cronyism in Washington....

Give up the phony concern for the GOP man. You once again outed yourself as a democrat back in post #40 of this thread. Tell me.. are you redean's slightly less stupid sock?

I don't know. He's not a particularly strong candidate. But he's the best the Republicans have on offer. And over the past two years, the economy has had a nasty habit of accelerating in the Spring only to fall off a cliff in the Summer.

Since you are so sure that he's going to lose, why haven't you put down a few thousand at Intrade?

Because I don't gamble and I think gambling should be illegal.

I'm sure he's going to lose, but I don't want him taking down the rest of the GOP with him.

The GOP should have had a good chance to take the White House, but they've blown that awesome advantage. That you're out there jacking off at the prospect of the economy going over the cliff is kind of frightening in and of itself.

Also, quite frankly, I'm kind of concerned what he'd do if he actually became president. We'd have more of the shit that we had when we got into this mess - more deregulation more cronyism in Washington....

Give up the phony concern for the GOP man. You once again outed yourself as a democrat back in post #40 of this thread. Tell me.. are you redean's slightly less stupid sock?

Looks like there was a little more truth in Post #40 than you could handle.

The GOP Has lost its way. Now, when I was growing up, the GOP got it. It was the party of strong defense, limited government, and traditional values, but one that also understood a strong middle class was the key to American prosperity.

Somehow that got warped into "Manipulating stupid people into voting against their own interests". and Wall Street laughed all the way to the bank.

Except, that ain't working anymore. There aren't enough angry white males left to keep that scenario up. The GOP Lost four out of the last five popular votes for President. Only because they cheated in 2000 did they have a real chance in 2004.

Two things the GOP needs to become relevent again beyond the occassional, once a decade Midterm Hissy-fit. 1) They have to reconnect with working folks and their concerns. 2) They have to get right with minorities.

There are whole swaths of this country where the GOP Is irrelevent. And those swaths are growing.

As I'm pretty sure that the OP was asking Republican voters, I will answer. Keep in mind that even though I'm a registered Republican I am decidedly Libertarian.

Romney has a credibility issue with me. Even after I put aside all the things that I disagree with him on (Me, being a Libertarian) I just cannot trust him to do the things I would expect of a Republican. I am not convinced that he will repeal obamacare, I am not convinced that he will reduce government spending, and I am not convinced that he will run the country like a businessman. Having followed the last 2 presidential races, (9 in total) I am familiar with Romney, and familiar with what he says compared to wht he has done and what he has said.

That's what is wrong with Romney, and what is right about Romney is that with all his faults, he's 10 times better than obama.

why would you think the o/p is asking "republicans". i've voted republican enough times where i'm probably the better gauge. just sayin

thank you though for pointing out what the real problem is... it's the rightwingnut base and the difficulties of appealing to it if one is a normal moderate person.

btw, you aren't a libertarian if you're anti-choice.

just sayin

Correct, I was asking everyone. Also although we seem to differ politically your first post in this thread was I think mostly spot on, Romney is socially awkward. He grew up in a very different world than most of us, not his fault but it is what it is.

Also thank you for being basically the only person in the thread to respond to my actual questions instead of going off on some tangent based on the thread title.

Thank you. Sometimes it's difficult to get a reasonable answer to a reasonable question around these parts. :)

I don't blame Romney for who he is. Overall, I'm sure he's a decent guy. But I think his inability to connect makes it difficult, if not impossible, for him to unseat a sitting president who isn't doing a terrible job and has an improving economy. That said, this president isn't Bill Clinton who had an almost supernatural abillity to morph into whatever group he was addressing. The president is wonderful in large groups. He isn't as good in small groups because he's uncomfortable on that emotional level, himself.

The question then becomes whether the public is interested in exchanging one semi aloof intellectual we know, for a socially inept businessman who offers no certainty as to whether we will get the moderate massachusetts governor or the person who is desperately trying to pander to the radical right by taking positions he clearly doesn't agree with... like his most recent one on contraception.

Forum List

Back