What is wrong with Romney?

One of the most lucid, reasonable descriptions of Romney I've seen yet, well done.

The guy is awkward and doesn't connect. There are obviously plenty of people like that, it doesn't make you evil, but it's obviously a significant handicap when you're running for President. Add that to the fact that he just seems so eager to please, and you have a guy who isn't easy to trust.

What? Liberals are finding something wrong with Romney? Unbelievable!

If you want to pretend that Romney is perfect, okay, your call, I see it with partisans on both sides all the time. It is possible, however, to admit weaknesses in candidates from your party without being arrested. It is possible to be reasonable and honest, too.

Read the post I made right after that one.

Apology accepted.

As I'm pretty sure that the OP was asking Republican voters, I will answer. Keep in mind that even though I'm a registered Republican I am decidedly Libertarian.

Romney has a credibility issue with me. Even after I put aside all the things that I disagree with him on (Me, being a Libertarian) I just cannot trust him to do the things I would expect of a Republican. I am not convinced that he will repeal obamacare, I am not convinced that he will reduce government spending, and I am not convinced that he will run the country like a businessman. Having followed the last 2 presidential races, (9 in total) I am familiar with Romney, and familiar with what he says compared to wht he has done and what he has said.

That's what is wrong with Romney, and what is right about Romney is that with all his faults, he's 10 times better than obama.

why would you think the o/p is asking "republicans". i've voted republican enough times where i'm probably the better gauge. just sayin

thank you though for pointing out what the real problem is... it's the rightwingnut base and the difficulties of appealing to it if one is a normal moderate person.

btw, you aren't a libertarian if you're anti-choice.

just sayin

Jumping with both feet right into a pile of bull shit aren't you.

I am and have always been pro-choice all the way accross the board. In every area, I am pro choice, pro freedom. Which makes me an enemy of obama.

As I'm pretty sure that the OP was asking Republican voters, I will answer. Keep in mind that even though I'm a registered Republican I am decidedly Libertarian.

Romney has a credibility issue with me. Even after I put aside all the things that I disagree with him on (Me, being a Libertarian) I just cannot trust him to do the things I would expect of a Republican. I am not convinced that he will repeal obamacare, I am not convinced that he will reduce government spending, and I am not convinced that he will run the country like a businessman. Having followed the last 2 presidential races, (9 in total) I am familiar with Romney, and familiar with what he says compared to wht he has done and what he has said.

That's what is wrong with Romney, and what is right about Romney is that with all his faults, he's 10 times better than obama.

why would you think the o/p is asking "republicans". i've voted republican enough times where i'm probably the better gauge. just sayin

thank you though for pointing out what the real problem is... it's the rightwingnut base and the difficulties of appealing to it if one is a normal moderate person.

btw, you aren't a libertarian if you're anti-choice.

just sayin

Jumping with both feet right into a pile of bull shit aren't you.

I am and have always been pro-choice all the way accross the board. In every area, I am pro choice, pro freedom. Which makes me an enemy of obama.

then you have my apology and it makes unique among so-called "libertarians" on this board.

carry on.

What? Liberals are finding something wrong with Romney? Unbelievable!

If you want to pretend that Romney is perfect, okay, your call, I see it with partisans on both sides all the time. It is possible, however, to admit weaknesses in candidates from your party without being arrested. It is possible to be reasonable and honest, too.

Read the post I made right after that one.

Apology accepted.

Looks like you made the post after I did, didn't you. No apology needed.

Poor Romney, he only won another 56% of the delegates over the weekend.....:lol:

Given he needs to win about 55% of the delegates remaining to get the nomination, that isn't so good.

If he goes into a brokered convention, he's either going to have to give Santorum the Veep slot, or he's going to have to risk that the GOP elders are going to start thinking, "Jesus, this is an awful candidate."

What is wrong with Romney?

Deeply held insane religious beliefs?

Laughs at his own jokes in the most superficial annoying manner ever for a presidential candidate?

Lived in France?

Enjoys firing people?

Ask his dog?

Has out spent all other candidates by nearly ten to one and still has just eaked out wins including his home state.

Stiff as a board?

Acts like an efite snob rich kid snot?

Wears Armani suit jackets and panders to the "little people" with blue jeans?

Did I mention he is a Bishop in a cult?

Let me preface this by saying that he is who I will be voting for on Tuesday because I think he is the best of the bunch. But I think he has the worst run campaign I have ever seen, judging off of things like the tax return fiasco. And the fact that he is back home in Mass. this weekend instead of campaigning in the South. This idiot has a real chance to win Alabama according to about three polls but instead of coming down here he is spending his weekend in Mass. What a dunce! Not even going to try to go after most of 50 delegates and finally win a true southern state and really hurt the Santorum campaign.

the problem with romney's campaign isn't how it's run. it's the candidate.

my feeling as someone who probably would have voted for him for governor of massachusetts: he seems to be a decent guy. he seems to be a fairly smart guy. he is incredibly socially awkward and is embarrassed by his own status as a person of wealth. he can't connect with "real people" for the same reasons daddy bush couldn't ... there is no realm of experience that prepares him for it. even his silliness about reciting song lyrics on the stump is odd and a bit unsettling. but he does it because frankly, he is totally disconnected and can't do anything else.

it is also unnatural for him to play rightwingnut. he is not an ideologue... he's a deal maker. it's also embarrassing for him to have to oppose the healthcare plan that HE passed in his own state... after urging the president to enact that same plan.

and when the economy started to improve, his talking about how it improved "but not enough" rings as false as his saying that he didn't think romneycare (which had been constructed by the heritage foundation) should be nationally implemented.

as for him being absent in the south.. that is a huge problem for a party that has relied on its "southern strategy" for 40 years. he made a massive mistake saying the south is an "away game" for him.

his biggest problem... he's fairly honest about who he is. he told the truth about not connecting in the south. for him to be aggressive down there and then lose, which he will, would be far more embarrassing to the campaigh than making a full effort and coming up short.

I think most of those are legitimate criticisms. The one about the economy not improving fast enough, however, is a legitimate concern and a viable argument against Obama. This is the weakest economic recovery on record. Though the forces which caused this recession vastly overwhelm politics, it is very legitimate to put Obama's economic policies on the table because, generally, his policy responses have been very poor.

Last edited:
Poor Romney, he only won another 56% of the delegates over the weekend.....:lol:

Given he needs to win about 55% of the delegates remaining to get the nomination, that isn't so good.

If he goes into a brokered convention, he's either going to have to give Santorum the Veep slot, or he's going to have to risk that the GOP elders are going to start thinking, "Jesus, this is an awful candidate."

According to the NYT and the WSJ, as of today, he needs 48% of the remaining delegates to lock up the nomination.

Republican Delegate Count - Election 2012 - NYTimes.com
2012 Election Delegate Tracker - Presidential Race

There won't be a brokered convention.

Well, he is a Progressive liberal and ran his state that way... He had to use massive federal money to make his HC plan not sink his state and he lies about near everything if it could possibly make him look weak.

Mitt Offers no less spending than Obama and talks about entering more wars. Mitt is loony toonz because getting the position of President is a notch on his belt, just like being Governor was.

Only idiot neocons would vote for someone like Mitt, people that only care about big Government policies and spending when a Democrat does it. Mitt's record is a polar opposite of what he talks about.

Mass is a liberal state. Naturally, he worked with them to get things done. And he did good in Mass. Mitt's smart. He knows how to work with liberals. That is a good thing. If we had a President who would work with the right, we'd be in a much better position than we are now. I like Mitt.

Of course you like Mitt, he is a Progressive and so are you on many levels. Or maybe you talk like conservative but you vote like a liberal... You can't have it both ways, your record is what you vote for, not what you say.

Mitt did horrible for his state, again... If Mitt didn't get shit tons of federal money for his HC system they would be broke many times over.

Mitt's main issue will be that the spotlight will be on him and him alone. Mi8tt has a habbit of saying one thing, then telling us later "what I meant was." Meaning Mitt makes people simple put, not care to support him. I'm not saying Mitt can't get a roaring crowd, I'm saying that crowd will be short 8% of what it needs to be to win.

According to the NYT and the WSJ, as of today, he needs 48% of the remaining delegates to lock up the nomination.

I agree. The math looks very strong for Mitt. There are 1408 delegates left. The "winner take all" states that Romney will easily win are: 172 delegates in California, 95 in New York, 52 in New Jersey, 36 in Utah = 355 delegates. Add those to the 455 he already has = 810.

that leaves 1053 delegates remaining. He only needs to win about 1/3 of those to lock up the nomination...

Much to Joethebigot's chagrin, Romney's got this....

whistling past the graveyard, buddy.

Kind of pathetic, isn't it? Your frontrunner is struggling for his life against two bozos....

Kind of pathetic, isn't it? Your frontrunner is struggling for his life against two bozos....
Perhaps four bozos if you paint with a broad brush.

The King of Deflection tries to veer the conversation away onto an irrelevant tangent after being shown he's wrong.

It's what we've come to expect.

:thup:

Perhaps four bozos if you paint with a broad brush.

It's not that broad of a brush. As far as I'm concerned they are all kind of bozos. I think when future historians write about the demise of the Republican Party, they are going to list this election as a prime example.

The King of Deflection tries to veer the conversation away onto an irrelevant tangent after being shown he's wrong.

It's what we've come to expect.

:thup:

No more than you trying to deny that this entire process has turned into a clusterfuck.

Hey, guy, John McCain had it wrapped up by now. In the bag, put to bed, planning his next move.

And he was facing serious opponents- Thompson, Guliani, Huckabee. Well, yeah, and maybe Romney.

Romney is facing guys which you have called "jokes" and "Bozos". Guys who were polling in single digits four months ago. And he has to pour tons of money into states to just break even.

Honestly, you think this is the guy who is going to go up against Obama and win? Seriously?

Honestly, you think this is the guy who is going to go up against Obama and win? Seriously?

I don't know. He's not a particularly strong candidate. But he's the best the Republicans have on offer. And over the past two years, the economy has had a nasty habit of accelerating in the Spring only to fall off a cliff in the Summer.

Since you are so sure that he's going to lose, why haven't you put down a few thousand at Intrade?

I don't know. He's not a particularly strong candidate. But he's the best the Republicans have on offer. And over the past two years, the economy has had a nasty habit of accelerating in the Spring only to fall off a cliff in the Summer.

Since you are so sure that he's going to lose, why haven't you put down a few thousand at Intrade?

Because I don't gamble and I think gambling should be illegal.

I'm sure he's going to lose, but I don't want him taking down the rest of the GOP with him.

The GOP should have had a good chance to take the White House, but they've blown that awesome advantage. That you're out there jacking off at the prospect of the economy going over the cliff is kind of frightening in and of itself.

Also, quite frankly, I'm kind of concerned what he'd do if he actually became president. We'd have more of the shit that we had when we got into this mess - more deregulation more cronyism in Washington....

Forum List

Back