What is wrong with Americans?

well when you elect people who claim they will create jobs and then they do nothing but block anything that will create jobs AND make laws to keep Americans from voting as well as work to get the American government credit downgraded instead it makes people think voting means nothing

Yet you continue to vote for Democrats. Go figure.

Plenty of people do not think thier vote counts, and plenty of over people are working overtime to make it so hard to vote that no one wants to put up with the fuss.

I think voting should be mandatory..like Jury Duty.

I dont think peoples vote counts either. Even if your smart and get a quality candidate once they get into office they forget the campain platform and serve business interests.

Then if you cant find a person full of integrity, be one and run yourself.

They use voter registration lists for jury duty selection in many areas snd some people are afraid of jury duty so they don't register. Sad to say that the single civics 101 class kids get sometime in their union based public education years doesn't give them enough information about Constitutional government much less state and local issues. Too bad.

I think there are just a lot of people who have given up on both parties and have no faith that their vote really matters.

Plenty of people do not think thier vote counts, and plenty of over people are working overtime to make it so hard to vote that no one wants to put up with the fuss.

I think voting should be mandatory..like Jury Duty.
No, I don't want to see it made mandatory. I think a lot of our problems are caused by idiots that vote for people they never heard of and for initiatives based on TV ads.

Last edited:
You might want to reconsider that, if you haven’t already.

Australia has compulsory (mandatory) voting. Citizens are fined if they don't vote.
I don't know the ramifications of compulsory voting in Australia however.

More people vote.

That's a good thing.

Unless you are a Republican.

only if it's informed voting. If people arent informed when they vote, then what's the point?

Besides, it's not really freedom if you are forced to participate.

I don't vote because I don't want to endorse the results. In most cases, it's worth more to me to reject the farce than to give it tacit approval by voting.

That said, I consider myself to be a responsible citizen and full participant in the political process. I've canvassed neighborhoods, manned information booths, handed out info sheets at primary polling locations, built a couple of websites promoting candidates and causes gratis. Hell, I even ran for local office once. But ...

Having seen the way precinct politics works firsthand, I can no longer pretend there is any chance of real change resulting from electoral politics. It's going to take some major changes in the mindset of our nation before we see that improve. We have to wake people up before voting does anything more than elect stooges hand-picked by the powers that be. I'm content to work that angle and ignore the voting thing for now.

Last edited:
Australia has compulsory (mandatory) voting. Citizens are fined if they don't vote.
I don't know the ramifications of compulsory voting in Australia however.

More people vote.

That's a good thing.

Unless you are a Republican.

only if it's informed voting. If people arent informed when they vote, then what's the point?

Besides, it's not really freedom if you are forced to participate.

No one is forced to participate.

They can just pay the fine and not vote.

I went to vote yesterday, and I was the only person voting.

What is wrong with Americans that they don't vote???

I don't know Chris; here in Ohio, we had the largest off year voter turnout in 20 years with 46% voter turnout.

Ohio Sees Highest Off-Year Voter Turnout In 20 Years

COLUMBUS -- The vote on an Ohio union law contributed to the state's highest voter turnout in 20 years for an off-year general election.

Results posted early Wednesday by the Ohio Secretary of State's office show 46 percent of the state's registered voters cast ballots on Tuesday.

To find a higher turnout for an odd-year election you have to look back to 1991, when 51.3 percent voted.

Ohio Sees Highest Off-Year Voter Turnout In 20 Years - Politics News Story - WLWT Cincinnati

Last edited:
I was the only person voting at the polls when I went there, too. I walked into an empty room and voted in about twenty seconds.

By comparison, in a presidential election cycle, I typically have to wait ten or twenty minutes just to get into the voting booth.

Maine's slate only had three referendum issue --one about same day voting and two about building gambling facilities in Maine.

Same day voting won, both gambling facilities lost.

Forum List

Back