CDZ What is with all the unintelligible OPs?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
I have noticed an increasing number of OPs which are either unintelligible or completely lacking any point other than to link to someone else's opinion. What is going on? Are we becoming a functionally illiterate society wherein the primary means of communication are acronyms and emojis? Does it require a rigidly imposed external structure in order to engage in a genuine discussion?

May I suggest a return to basic English composition: First state your opinion, then present the facts and logic upon which it is based, and then summarize you conclusion. Any problems with that?

My current working theory is that USMB has decided to focus the bulk of its advertising budget on targeting prisons and sanitariums.

I have noticed an increasing number of OPs which are either unintelligible or completely lacking any point other than to link to someone else's opinion. What is going on? Are we becoming a functionally illiterate society wherein the primary means of communication are acronyms and emojis? Does it require a rigidly imposed external structure in order to engage in a genuine discussion?

May I suggest a return to basic English composition: First state your opinion, then present the facts and logic upon which it is based, and then summarize you conclusion. Any problems with that?
And the vast majority of these OP's are by liberal lunatics that post on here.

Unfortunately, the same thing holds true inside threads. An original point is met with nothing more than a link to a winger website and an opinion piece by some hardcore partisan ideologue, followed by some kind of victory dance as if some irrefutable fact had been posted.

As the tribes become more and more isolated, original thought becomes less and less of a priority.

I don't think that's true. I watched these boards for almost 3.5 years before I joined and the lion share of the threads were/are started by people I'd consider as "other than liberal". But that's to be expected, it is after all, a message board. We have differing opinions. People by their nature are different and will express their opinions in the way they are most comfortable with.

Lib or Con...the imbecile factor has been ratcheted up! I'll not name names...but the a lot of the prime instigators of said posts..are some Cons..that chase their tails to the Right...all week long!

I try to make my posts intelligible...but not everyone has that skill..or the inclination. I've always read the titles of the threads for humor...I do get some belly laughs!

iu

To the OT- the attention span the size of a gnat-

I had a thread locked because I didn't post a personal opinion- when the OT expressed my opinion- it seems the rule writers love seeing the messenger attacked- I was told years ago, by a news paper editor/publisher that most people have the attention span, when reading, of about 4 minutes- I'd argue that- more like 15 seconds.
One thread, recently, when I questioned the reading comprehension skills of a particular poster he allowed as how he was really good at that- then proceeded to attack my writing skills- paying absolutely 0 attention to what I had written but choosing to denigrate me personally- I suppose it makes some feel superior to try to put anothers light out apparently feeling it makes theirs shine brighter- I often post a dictionary link to help those who see only what they want to see- and even that is questioned-

I've been engaging on political message boards since 07- it's the same on all of them with some more strict on the personal attacks-

What are you saying? Can you elaborate a little more, please?

To the OT- the attention span the size of a gnat-

I had a thread locked because I didn't post a personal opinion- when the OT expressed my opinion- it seems the rule writers love seeing the messenger attacked- I was told years ago, by a news paper editor/publisher that most people have the attention span, when reading, of about 4 minutes- I'd argue that- more like 15 seconds.
One thread, recently, when I questioned the reading comprehension skills of a particular poster he allowed as how he was really good at that- then proceeded to attack my writing skills- paying absolutely 0 attention to what I had written but choosing to denigrate me personally- I suppose it makes some feel superior to try to put anothers light out apparently feeling it makes theirs shine brighter- I often post a dictionary link to help those who see only what they want to see- and even that is questioned-

I've been engaging on political message boards since 07- it's the same on all of them with some more strict on the personal attacks-

you do realize you could have just reposted the topic with your opinion and all would have been fine???

There is a strong possibility that non-English contributors of dubious background account for much that makes little sense.

you do realize you could have just reposted the topic with your opinion and all would have been fine???
What part of "my opinion was in the OT" do you not understand?

but you said it was expressed and not a direct stated opinion,,,big difference to bean counters,,,

dont get pissy just repost the topic with your opinion,,,I'v done it several times,,,,,,

Unfortunately, the same thing holds true inside threads. An original point is met with nothing more than a link to a winger website and an opinion piece by some hardcore partisan ideologue, followed by some kind of victory dance as if some irrefutable fact had been posted.

As the tribes become more and more isolated, original thought becomes less and less of a priority.

Truthfully this is the fault of those like me and why?

When trolling sites like the Slate when it had it message board section those like me would make threads as a bait and switch tactic to lure in the more radical poster and play games with them.

So I blame those like me and I am being serious.

There is no solution and no cure to this issue and you either suffer or fine a more sane site which is impossible...

There are something like ten blob supporters who post here under 15 to 20 accounts. That there is a degrading pattern of threads being started is not surprising.

Yes. One big problem. Tards never see their opinions and views as anything other than fact.

Agreed... So many threads start by posting some dubious information or opinion... This is followed by a few pages backslapping and a frenzy feed on what the OP posted... Then someone actually then investigates the OP post and finds a huge flaw in the first information and might even find the original post to be false or unfounded. You can post to show the whole thread is wrong but the feeding frenzy is already started (I have called this keyboard masturbation)...
The tribe has spoken and to disagree with the tribe is a show of disloyalty. Then you reaffirm your post and question of your source which is a Government body or world body compared to there blog. Then the avalanche of insults start, then a few pages of insults..

Everytime I see this I think of the Simpson's Monorail song... Lisa put great points across but Homor says the song has already started..

Agreed... So many threads start by posting some dubious information or opinion... This is followed by a few pages backslapping and a frenzy feed on what the OP posted... Then someone actually then investigates the OP post and finds a huge flaw in the first information and might even find the original post to be false or unfounded. You can post to show the whole thread is wrong but the feeding frenzy is already started (I have called this keyboard masturbation)...
The tribe has spoken and to disagree with the tribe is a show of disloyalty. Then you reaffirm your post and question of your source which is a Government body or world body compared to there blog. Then the avalanche of insults start, then a few pages of insults..

Everytime I see this I think of the Simpson's Monorail song... Lisa put great points across but Homor says the song has already started..
I've mentioned this many times in the past, and it's the thing that has me concerned for the country I'm leaving for our daughters: If this were simply confined to message boards and political rallies, that would be one thing. Who cares. Blowing off steam with bullshit, fine.

But this has spread into our very culture, to the point where friendships are ending, families are fracturing, and it's infecting everything from sports to freaking restaurants. Once a cancer has metastasized like this, it's much more difficult to eradicate and save the patient.

Last edited:
My current working theory is that USMB has decided to focus the bulk of its advertising budget on targeting prisons and sanitariums.

You laugh, but people do post from prison and group homes. What else do they have to do? Some of the threads on here are just obscenity fests. Why are those put down at the bottom in the wild forums? Then people could just stay out of those, unless an obscenity fest is what they are looking for. As many seem to be.

Forum List

Back