CDZ What is With All of the Deadly Police Shootings?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
It seems like every other day we see or hear of another deadly shooting of someone who is armed but not posing an immediate threat of death or great bodily harm to anyone. In many instances the police appear to start shooting earlier than may become necessary and, when they do, keep firing until their guns are empty.

Is this a reflection of an official policy of shoot to kill, or are these examples of poor judgement/panic on the part of individual police officers? It seems that less lethal means and training should be implemented to deal with these situations.

Is this an unrealistic proposal?

For their own protection and the protection of possible would-be 'victims' around them, the Police are not trained to 'WOUND' people. Those deemed a threat, those armed and refusing to comply with police direction will be met with deadly force.

Kids are not taught to RESPECT the cops any more. Black Lives Matter members, for example, have been seen in the media calling for the murder of all whites AND POLICEMEN. 'REVEREND' Al Sharpton, after the Michael Brown shooting I THINK, went to NY to hold a march in which he CALLED on blacks NOT to cooperate with the police.

Michael Brown was the perfect example. he was a boy trapped in a very large man's body. He had no respect for authority, no respect for anyone else or what they owned. He stole from a store, assaulted the store owners / clerk, ignored a policeman's request to get out f the street, failed to obey a policeman's order, attacked the policeman, and was shot dead in self defense. Who can tell me where the problem began?
- It began AT HOME, with his parents and his up-bringing. It began with the bombardment of disrespectful, in some cases racist, crap. It began with the indoctrinating propaganda that all blacks are 'victims' and that people 'owe them'. It began with a lack of respect for others being taught in the home.

People in Baltimore screamed for 'justice' while burning down and looting the stores and the store owners that were n that neighborhood to HELP them, who did nothing to them! 'Mob Mentality' is what some people call it. I call it 'who you are / what you are' finally being let out. Disrespectful, law-breaking, selfish animals.

I will not deny there are not bad people - bad cops - out there, and they need to be taken down, but the police do not deserve even half (IMO) of the blame being heaped upon them. Don't want to get shot? Obey the law and respect the police. If they are targeting you by mistake or out of racism, COMPLY...THEN deal with / address it after that potentially heated conflict is over. Sure beats getting shot and dying!

RESPECT! That's what we need to get back, though - all of us!

Police shootings are actually going down.. Have been for 50+ years. You just hear about them now.
I do however think that a lot of the shootings are them being in fear for their lives and bad judgement. Of course, there is the fact that police have no duty to protect individuals. They have a right to life.

For their own protection and the protection of possible would-be 'victims' around them, the Police are not trained to 'WOUND' people. Those deemed a threat, those armed and refusing to comply with police direction will be met with deadly force.

By "deadly force" do you mean summary execution? If not, please explain the difference.

Police shootings are actually going down.. Have been for 50+ years. You just hear about them now.
Not true. This article is from May and there have been plenty more shootings since then.

"In an alley in Denver, police gunned down a 17-year-old girl joyriding in a stolen car. In the backwoods of North Carolina, police opened fire on a gun-wielding moonshiner. And in a high-rise apartment in Birmingham, Ala., police shot an elderly man after his son asked them to make sure he was okay. Douglas Harris, 77, answered the door with a gun.

The three are among at least 385 people shot and killed by police nationwide during the first five months of this year, more than two a day, according to a Washington Post analysis. That is more than twice the rate of fatal police shootings tallied by the federal government over the past decade, a count that officials concede is incomplete."

Fatal police shootings in 2015 approaching 400 nationwide

By "deadly force" do you mean summary execution? If not, please explain the difference.

An 'execution' is the (in part) intentional murder of someone for no good reason. Using Deadly Force is like a policeman fatally shooting someone in self defense or who is attacking and trying to harm someone else.

Not true. This article is from May and there have been plenty more shootings since then.

"In an alley in Denver, police gunned down a 17-year-old girl joyriding in a stolen car. In the backwoods of North Carolina, police opened fire on a gun-wielding moonshiner. And in a high-rise apartment in Birmingham, Ala., police shot an elderly man after his son asked them to make sure he was okay. Douglas Harris, 77, answered the door with a gun.

The three are among at least 385 people shot and killed by police nationwide during the first five months of this year, more than two a day, according to a Washington Post analysis. That is more than twice the rate of fatal police shootings tallied by the federal government over the past decade, a count that officials concede is incomplete."

Fatal police shootings in 2015 approaching 400 nationwide
You are correct. Looking up an ACTUAL graph, the numbers have started going back up a couple of years ago. I wonder if police aggression has anything to do with it?

You are correct. Looking up an ACTUAL graph, the numbers have started going back up a couple of years ago. I wonder if police aggression has anything to do with it?

Maybe...gotta be frustrating. I saw one BLM members in the face of a cop - a black cop - 2-3 inches away, screaming in his face. Sorry, but like I said - 'RESPECT'. I would have had to 'defend my personal space'. (NO, I am NOT talking about shooting anyone!)

I am sure the black policeman could have justified that he felt threatened with having this angry protestor so close to him.

An 'execution' is the (in part) intentional murder of someone for no good reason.

Where did you come up with that "definition?"

Summary execution
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A summary execution is an execution in which a person is accused of a crime and immediately killed without benefit of a full and fair trial. This includes show trials, but is usually understood to mean capture, accusation, and execution all conducted during a very short span of time. Summary executions have been practiced by police, military, and paramilitary organizations and are frequently associated with guerrilla warfare, counter-insurgency, terrorism, and any other situation which involves a breakdown of the normal procedures for handling accused prisoners, civilian or military.

An 'execution' is the (in part) intentional murder of someone for no good reason.

Where did you come up with that "definition?"

Summary execution
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A summary execution is an execution in which a person is accused of a crime and immediately killed without benefit of a full and fair trial. This includes show trials, but is usually understood to mean capture, accusation, and execution all conducted during a very short span of time. Summary executions have been practiced by police, military, and paramilitary organizations and are frequently associated with guerrilla warfare, counter-insurgency, terrorism, and any other situation which involves a breakdown of the normal procedures for handling accused prisoners, civilian or military.

Thank you....and as I was saying - this is very different from the police using 'deadly force'.

I do however think that a lot of the shootings are them being in fear for their lives and bad judgement. Of course, there is the fact that police have no duty to protect individuals. They have a right to life.

Down from what level? Hell, we had wrongful police killings in Houston/Texas since around the day I was born. While I was going to School back then, I would wake up and watch Don Nelson and Jan Glenn on Good Morning Houston on channel 13. The lead was often "Overnight police responded to.... the suspect was shot an killed." Large numbers of people never thought twice about it until there was a reason to start thinking twice about them. Of course most of the folks were probably guilty of some crime and their elimination from society was likely a net positive but that...is...not...our...system.

It seems like every other day we see or hear of another deadly shooting of someone who is armed but not posing an immediate threat of death or great bodily harm to anyone. In many instances the police appear to start shooting earlier than may become necessary and, when they do, keep firing until their guns are empty.

Is this a reflection of an official policy of shoot to kill, or are these examples of poor judgement/panic on the part of individual police officers? It seems that less lethal means and training should be implemented to deal with these situations.

I doubt there is an official "shoot to kill" policy. I don't know if the root problem stems from the hiring practices of police officers, wage economics, or the things you suggest. Personally, I think it's probably a combination of them. I am aware that in the 1980s and 1990s, the D.C. police force was under pressure to boost its ranks, and to do so it offered shields to people who were previously rejected. I know too that high intelligence isn't among the traits possessed by most police officers, and I know that lacking strong critical thinking skills, individuals often enough fail to exercise sufficient circumspection over the stimuli they encounter, and that in turn can lead easily to one's making emotionally driven rather than rational choices. Lastly, I suspect that most folks with markedly above average intelligence will opt to pursue careers other than state or municipal law enforcement.

I know two police officers. Both are nice enough individuals who fit the profile noted in the article linked above, and both are also far more likely on any given matter to "go with their gut" than they are to critically and methodically assess things. That's so for the stuff I have discussed with them in decidedly non-life-threatening circumstances. I trust them as individuals, and they are of high integrity, but, quite frankly, I wouldn't want to be the criminal they seek to apprehend. I wouldn't put it past either of them to "shoot first and ask (deal with) questions (consequences) later." That's how they handle discussions. I have no reason to think they do anything differently while on duty. I suspect too that most cops are just like them.

I doubt there is an official "shoot to kill" policy. I don't know if the root problem stems from the hiring practices of police officers, wage economics, or the things you suggest. Personally, I think it's probably a combination of them. I am aware that in the 1980s and 1990s, the D.C. police force was under pressure to boost its ranks, and to do so it offered shields to people who were previously rejected. I know too that high intelligence isn't among the traits possessed by most police officers, and I know that lacking strong critical thinking skills, individuals often enough fail to exercise sufficient circumspection over the stimuli they encounter, and that in turn can lead easily to one's making emotionally driven rather than rational choices. Lastly, I suspect that most folks with markedly above average intelligence will opt to pursue careers other than state or municipal law enforcement.

I know two police officers. Both are nice enough individuals who fit the profile noted in the article linked above, and both are also far more likely on any given matter to "go with their gut" than they are to critically and methodically assess things. That's so for the stuff I have discussed with them in decidedly non-life-threatening circumstances. I trust them as individuals, and they are of high integrity, but, quite frankly, I wouldn't want to be the criminal they seek to apprehend. I wouldn't put it past either of them to "shoot first and ask (deal with) questions (consequences) later." That's how they handle discussions. I have no reason to think they do anything differently while on duty. I suspect too that most cops are just like them.
They should. Police officers have a right to life. Their duty is to protect the general public, not individuals.
I do agree that some shootings shouldn't have happened, but who am I? I wasn't in that situation. I don't know how I would have handled it. Neither do you or anyone else.

It is a Democrat political policy being pushed and aided by the media who pick and choose the stories of the day and use them to make it look more like their ideology fits with their agenda.
Dems and mainstream media are using psychological warfare and many Americans are falling for it.

ppolitical

It is a Democrat political policy being pushed and aided by the media who pick and choose the stories of the day and use them to make it look more like their ideology fits with their agenda.
Dems and mainstream media are using psychological warfare and many Americans are falling for it.

This is not about "Black Lives Matter" or some other political BS. Isn't there some means to subdue a suspected criminal without putting 16 bullet holes in him?

ppolitical

This is not about "Black Lives Matter" or some other political BS. Isn't there some means to subdue a suspected criminal without putting 16 bullet holes in him?

YES
Especially if they do what the police ask.
The ones who are getting 16 bullet holes are the ones who are asked repeatably to put their weapon down and they refuse to do it.

Police shootings are statistically very rare, given the size of our population and especially in comparison with violent crimes and the number of violent criminals out there, and of those shootings far less are unjustified. Of course they are on the increase as many will do their best to be a 'victim', now that there are big paydays involved. Another problem is how many mentally ill people are out there on the streets running around loose, who either turn violent or end up in the prison system rather than where they should have been in the first place, in mental institutions or under psychiatric care. There is no real journalism left in the U.S., it's all tabloid hysteria and sensationalism now, never mind facts or honest reporting.

While shooting some Darwin Award Contestant 16 times is indeed excessive in one particular instance, it's hardly representative of the majority of police shootings, no matter how hard the media and astroturf creations like the BLM vermin tries to incite them.

It doesn't matter what they use, they will still be sued, arrested, demonized, etc.by vermin who have a vested interest in distorting everything they can, mostly Democratic pols at this point; their entire Party strategy is totally dependent on 'Identity Politics' now, forget anything else that takes away from that. they have to have and create the perception of wide divisions for their own sake, otherwise they have nothing.

Forum List

Back