CDZ What is White Privilege?

Do you subscribe to the idea of White Privilege

• Total voters
Indeed, I thought that was what your argument was.

So, if that is the case we must be getting worse off, not better with respect to privilege. Black single parenthood is hovering around 73%, a feat never reached even during the days of Jim Crow. The majority of AIDS cases in the US are African American. Are we to attribute this to white privilege? Are we to attribute this to lack of black education? Blacks are more educated today than they have ever been before. They have more freedom today than every before in the US. So what's with all the illegitimate births? 3 of 4 black children are born to a single parent. White privilege did not do that.

On that same note, whites have gone up to around 25% illegitimacy. But they cant blame it on someone's privilege. They can blame it on the hyper sexualized culture they bought into but not someone's privilege. The same is true for blacks.

What happened between Jim Crow and today where blacks find their women giving birth to children they cannot afford to raise or educate? Should we go back to Jim Crow? That CANNOT be the answer. The fault lies with black culture itself where illegitimacy has become the rule rather than the exception. So you can point to historic discrimination all you want, however, it is a lame excuse for the actions that hinder blacks today.

I thought it was too good to be true.

You've demonstrated that you've no means to sustain "White Privilege", now you need to blame 'the contest' of the myth, as being the reason the myth isn't accepted.

Such is the nature of evil.

Let it be forever known that I made the honest effort. I presented arguments that they refuse to respond to. The discussion was not ended by me. Did you read what I posted? Not a single effort to recant my argument. Why? I got nothing but a few fellas searching for excuses to disengage.

That's sounds important.

That's how I see it. Honestly.

Well that follows, as you're a reasonable person, as your screen name demonstrates and that is how reason requires that it must be seen.

You are ignoring the history of the matter......wrapped in white privilege....that led to the environment that you are citing as the major reason for the disparity in arrests. It is odd...especially since I've already addressed it.

So, if that is the case we must be getting worse off, not better with respect to privilege. Black single parenthood is hovering around 73%, a feat never reached even during the days of Jim Crow. The majority of AIDS cases in the US are African American. Are we to attribute this to white privilege? Are we to attribute this to lack of black education? Blacks are more educated today than they have ever been before. They have more freedom today than every before in the US. So what's with all the illegitimate births? 3 of 4 black children are born to a single parent. White privilege did not do that.

On that same note, whites have gone up to around 25% illegitimacy. But they cant blame it on someone's privilege. They can blame it on the hyper sexualized culture they bought into but not someone's privilege. The same is true for blacks.

What happened between Jim Crow and today where blacks find their women giving birth to children they cannot afford to raise or educate? Should we go back to Jim Crow? That CANNOT be the answer. The fault lies with black culture itself where illegitimacy has become the rule rather than the exception. So you can point to historic discrimination all you want, however, it is a lame excuse for the actions that hinder blacks today.

Comeon man, don't do this. I really wanted to discuss this topic with you. I am in desperate need of a serious debate in this forum. Please don't do what everyone else does.

I will continue the discussion if you concede that white privilege exists. I'm not asking you to say that it is responsible every negative thing in society....or that you somehow use privilege to do anything. I just want you to concede that it is a real thing and that it is worth addressing.

If you do....I'll wade into the discussion of illegitimacy.....if that's what you want to discuss.

No, I'm sorry. I cannot. Privilege is unearned. My point about illegitimacy was to demonstrate a factor that has gotten worse despite gains in civil rights over time historically. Ergo, historical arguments only go so far. I can take a poor Asian kid from the slums and put him the most crappy school in the US, and so as long as his parents are there to guide him (Even with their limited English), he will be a first generation success story. My question is, why can blacks do the same?

Listen, I do want to continue this debate, but I cannot concede a point that is grounded in unproven theory. I feel I have been honest with you and demonstrated a drive to learn. If you corner me I will admit it. I have no pride that the Marines didn't strip from me and I am not afraid to be wrong. But I cannot concede that "white privilege" exists when it is an unproven theory unsupported by anything posted thus far. To do so would be true intellectual dishonesty on my part.

So what's in the argument for you and I? Well, if either of us aren't convinced to change our minds we will certainly be better equipped to handle those who support or deny the existence of "white privilege." Isn't learning enough? Is that not what we are here to do?

Ahhhhh. The Asian experience in America is proof that white privilege does not exist. You wouldn't be a consumer of Bill O'Reilly books, would you? That's one of his primary arguments.

It was effectively put to rest here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/28/opinion/charles-blow-bill-oreilly-and-white-privilege.html?_r=0

And......brought further into question here:

Why Do Black Immigrants Do Better Than Native Blacks - The Atlantic

Badly written poll question but it would appear that what you are actually asking is -

"Do you agree it exists?" and yes, of course it does.

Comeon man, don't do this. I really wanted to discuss this topic with you. I am in desperate need of a serious debate in this forum. Please don't do what everyone else does.

I will continue the discussion if you concede that white privilege exists. I'm not asking you to say that it is responsible every negative thing in society....or that you somehow use privilege to do anything. I just want you to concede that it is a real thing and that it is worth addressing.

If you do....I'll wade into the discussion of illegitimacy.....if that's what you want to discuss.

No, I'm sorry. I cannot. Privilege is unearned. My point about illegitimacy was to demonstrate a factor that has gotten worse despite gains in civil rights over time historically. Ergo, historical arguments only go so far. I can take a poor Asian kid from the slums and put him the most crappy school in the US, and so as long as his parents are there to guide him (Even with their limited English), he will be a first generation success story. My question is, why can blacks do the same?

Listen, I do want to continue this debate, but I cannot concede a point that is grounded in unproven theory. I feel I have been honest with you and demonstrated a drive to learn. If you corner me I will admit it. I have no pride that the Marines didn't strip from me and I am not afraid to be wrong. But I cannot concede that "white privilege" exists when it is an unproven theory unsupported by anything posted thus far. To do so would be true intellectual dishonesty on my part.

So what's in the argument for you and I? Well, if either of us aren't convinced to change our minds we will certainly be better equipped to handle those who support or deny the existence of "white privilege." Isn't learning enough? Is that not what we are here to do?

Ahhhhh. The Asian experience in America is proof that white privilege does not exist. You wouldn't be a consumer of Bill O'Reilly books, would you? That's one of his primary arguments.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/28/opinion/charles-blow-bill-oreilly-and-white-privilege.html?_r=0

I read one of his books in 2005 I believe. I think it was called Culture War but I may be mistaken. Nevertheless, I gave it away and haven't read another since.

You want me to do your scholarship for you? What did you read in those that gives you an idea that I was wrong? From what I see they claim that the history of slavery and Jim Crow has given blacks a sort of intergenerational PTSD. But then again, I could have miss summarized it.

Please don't turn this into a thread where you post articles that you agree with, and thereby, force me to summarize them for you while responding to someone else's scholarship. I promise I will not do that to you. How do these articles support your argument? That's what I want to know. As of now, you aren't making an argument. Your allowing references to make an argument for you. I call this the post and run tactic, whereas you keep them bogged down refuting a number of someone else's claims only to post more and then run off again. Like a White House document dump you're trying to kill me by volume of argument, not quality of argument. I haven't done this to you and I hope you we be so kind to avoid doing it to me.

Last edited:

What was effectively put to rest, is the notion that you and your cult have any basis in reason to support the absurdity: White Privilege.

The premise rests in the fact that white people, as a group comport themselves within that which is commonly known as decency, except of course, where those within that group have been infected with Foreign Ideas that are hostile to the principles which define decency, such as Left-think.

Because the black culture is disproportionally infected with Left-think, they are therefore prone to the uncivil behavior common to Left-think, such as that we see in Ferguson, MO; behavior which is inarguably, fomented and promoted by the adherents of Left-think, such as yourself and your comrade cultists throughout this board.

Badly written poll question but it would appear that what you are actually asking is -

"Do you agree it exists?" and yes, of course it does.

Feel free to qualify that. I would be happy to respond. Take care not to revisit arguments already passed, but to add to them.

White privilege - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

White privilege (or white skin privilege) is a term for societal privileges that benefit white people beyond what is commonly experienced by non-white people under the same social, political, or economic circumstances.[note 1] These privileges are unearned and are distributed based on values of the dominant group.[1] According to McIntosh and Lee, whites in a society considered culturally a part of the Western World enjoy advantages that non-whites do not experience.[1] This leads to the controversy over whether or not White people should be able to enjoy these privileges. The term denotes both obvious and less obvious passive advantages that white persons may not recognize they have, which distinguishes it from overt bias or prejudice.[2] These include cultural affirmations of one's own worth; presumed greater social status; and freedom to move, buy, work, play, and speak freely.[1] The effects can be seen in professional, educational, and personal contexts.[3] The concept of white privilege also implies the right to assume the universality of one's own experiences, marking others as different or exceptional while perceiving oneself as normal.[4][5]

Can you provide examples of White Privilege?

I provided several examples.

White privilege (or white skin privilege) is a term for societal privileges that benefit white people beyond what is commonly experienced by non-white people under the same social, political, or economic circumstances.[note 1] These privileges are unearned and are distributed based on values of the dominant group.[1] According to McIntosh and Lee, whites in a society considered culturally a part of the Western World enjoy advantages that non-whites do not experience.[1] This leads to the controversy over whether or not White people should be able to enjoy these privileges. The term denotes both obvious and less obvious passive advantages that white persons may not recognize they have, which distinguishes it from overt bias or prejudice.[2] These include cultural affirmations of one's own worth; presumed greater social status; and freedom to move, buy, work, play, and speak freely.[1] The effects can be seen in professional, educational, and personal contexts.[3] The concept of white privilege also implies the right to assume the universality of one's own experiences, marking others as different or exceptional while perceiving oneself as normal.[4][5]

For what purpose do you need these examples?

Because without examples a theory is null. Evidently everyone wants to complain about white privilege but no one wants to prove it exists. Parish the thought.

If you're white, you have less of a chance at getting pulled over and harassed by the police.

White teenagers smoke as much dope as black teenagers, but if the police are only patrolling black neighborhoods, the black teens are will be the ones going to jail. There are also statistics that show black people get longer sentencing for the same offenses.

Is that a good enough example?

Because without examples a theory is null. Evidently everyone wants to complain about white privilege but no one wants to prove it exists. Parish the thought.

If you're white, you have less of a chance at getting pulled over and harassed by the police.

White teenagers smoke as much dope as black teenagers, but if the police are only patrolling black neighborhoods, the black teens are will be the ones going to jail. There are also statistics that show black people get longer sentencing for the same offenses.

One glaring example to anyone who is the child of a WWII veteran who grew up during the Great Depression is the fact that black veterans were denied GI Bill benefits.....especially those related to home loans.
This led to a disparity in home ownership between white and black veterans that directly impacted wealth building for poor and lower class American men throughout the postwar era.
The chance that a black person born in the 50's or 60's to a US army veteran would have a home to inherit in the 80's or 90's was considerably lower than that of white children of vets.
http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/44333/276173994.pdf
I agree with that example. Indeed, it was codified into law and upheld by the Jim Crow system. Please excuse me for not clarifying that I wanted modern examples. With that said, your comparison of the 50's and 60's to the 80's or 90's does hold some relevance to this argument. But not for the reasons you think its relevant to the argument. Now, by stating "relevant to the argument" I am not saying true or false, but merely relevant. If you can tie that in to today then I think it much more relevant to what I aim to find out. I want to see white privilege in the context of todays setting. Is that fair enough?
Two kids get caught with pot in their pocket. One white...one black. The black kid is far more likely to be arrested than is the white kid.
The black white marijuana arrest gap in nine charts - The Washington Post
Is that what you are looking for? Nice and tidy?
Absolutely! This was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. With that said please allow me to respond.
Black neighborhoods are more likely to receive scrutiny by police because statistics show (And I will provide them for you if asked) that black neighborhoods are more likely to engage in theft and violent crime. With that extra police scrutiny there are bound to be drug arrests by default. Indeed, I'm arguing that extra black drug arrest rates are the effects of the heavy police presence required in black communities. Also, sense blacks are higher prone to commit violent crime, many of those offenders are also drug offenders, and as a result, go to jail as both a drug offender and a violent crime offender. Furthermore, police don't usually have probable cause to search suspects because of a drug offense, but as a consequence of the arrest and discovery they often find a drug offense when they were not looking for one. I don't see blacks getting arrested for drugs more often than whites because of racism, but profiling those areas that are most troublesome that require extra police scrutiny where blacks happen to live. Many of those places are inner-city where many live right next to each other in mass, amplifying this effect.
Still......if usage rates are the same but arrest rates are not...one would have to say that the white user has an unfair and unearned benefit.
And...you do know that my earlier example ties in with this example..right? The privilege of home ownership in suburban areas with excellent schools for a couple of generations impacts the arrest rates for black users of marijuana.
To your first point, the fact that whites use drugs the same if not more (And I agree with this) is irrelevant. What's relevant is how they got caught with the drugs. Very few drug arrests started off with a police officer looking specifically for drugs. Drugs are usually found during the process of discovery after probable cause has been established. Sense blacks commit more crime as a percentage of their total population they are more likely to be arrested for drug offenses due to discovery as a total percentage of their population. The usage rates are irrelevant when most drug offenders are discovered by the process of discovery.
So, when you do not get caught with your drugs because you gave the police no probable cause to search you it is not an unearned privilege. Its simply behaving yourself better than your black drug user counterparts. That is an earned privilege and there are no drug users, black or white, to which this rule does not apply. Blacks, however, commit more crime as a percentage of their total population and so they get caught with drugs more than their white counterparts as a percentage of their total population.
Your second point needs clarification. I think I know what you're talking about but I want to be sure. Could you be more specific before I respond to that one?

Already addressed, and in my opinion, discredited(See reposted above in this post). Why is this subject so popular when people attempt to aid their argument on white privilege? It seems its the first one they always use. Indeed, I have read The New Jim Crow and I found it lacking for the above reason. Anyway, feel free to add to that previous discussion.

Last edited:
White privilege allows the white person to be seen through the lens of their actions, not the lens of their race.

White privilege is what makes me less likely than black people to be followed through a store.

White privilege is what is invoked when I get stopped at a checkpoint, and even though I'm missing my front license plate, I'm let go with, "Take care of that," rather than "Pull over and we'd like to search your car."

White privilege is what causes a teacher to be more forgiving of a white kid who is "having a tough day", and recommend suspension for the same actions from a black kid.

White privilege is what you experience when people don't lock their car doors when you walk by.

White privilege is what you experience when your application is actually looked at by someone who matters, due to the lack of a "black-sounding name."

White privilege is being told, "Great work!" for a job well done, instead of people muttering behind your back that it was probably affirmative action.

White privilege is not worrying that a police officer might decide that you look suspicious.

White privilege is when I walk down the street, and I'm pretty damned sure some white driver isn't constructing a narrative that I'm walking slowly on purpose, because I think he owes me reparations. <<<<<<<<<This one is my personal favorite, as a person on USMB actually told me this.

White privilege means that I'm more likely to be helped out in an emergency by bystanders than a black person.

Whites generally don't kill over a dime bag while it is certainly not unheard of in the hood. Where do you send the cops, to college dorms or gang-infested streets?

White privilege allows the white person to be seen through the lens of their actions, not the lens of their race.

Huh... So we're at that ever so problematic point: What came first the "White Privilege" or the negative behavior which strips a race of its privilege?

You're speaking of cause and effect, hoping that the responsibilities for the 'cause' can be separated from the unenviable consequences of the 'effect'.

It's a lie... which follows, given your leftist nature and Left-think is founded upon the three tenets: Deceit, FRAUD and Ignorance.

There is no 'white privilege', there is only the consequences of a prolonged and extensive history which brings restrictions upon those who bear resemblance to the perpetrators of such.

Indeed, You wanted to win an argument by volume, not quality of argument. Pick one and we will debate it. I could write volumes of every category you posted. I chose not to because it would have taken too much time, and once I was done, there is little doubt that you would have not responded because it would have taken you too much time. Ergo, you would have wasted my time only not to reply to me. I saw that one coming from a mile away.

Pick an argument and I will address it. But one at a time please.

I read one of his books in 2005 I believe. I think it was called Culture War but I may be mistaken. Nevertheless, I gave it away and haven't read another since.

You want me to do your scholarship for you? What did you read in those that gives you an idea that I was wrong? From what I see they claim that the history of slavery and Jim Crow has given blacks a sort of intergenerational PTSD. But then again, I could have miss summarized it.

Please don't turn this into a thread where you post articles that you agree with, and thereby, force me to summarize them for you while responding to someone else's scholarship. I promise I will not do that to you. How do these articles support your argument? That's what I want to know. As of now, you aren't making an argument. Your allowing references to make an argument for you. I call this the post and run tactic, whereas you keep them bogged down refuting a number of someone else's claims only to post more and then run off again. Like a White House document dump you're trying to kill me by volume of argument, not quality of argument. I haven't done this to you and I hope you we be so kind to avoid doing it to me.

Look. The first article tells you that Asian Americans came here under much different circumstances....meaning they immigrated here at the bequest of American companies seeking highly educated workers....and they never experienced anything like Jim Crow. It basically calls the argument that Asian immigrants are somehow proof that blacks are culturally fucked all by themselves........baseless.

The second reveals that black immigrants who....like Asian immigrants...came here in the last quarter of the 20th century under largely favorable circumstances ALSO have kids who do better in school than Native American blacks. Blowing a hole in the argument from another angle. It's the EXPERIENCE of being second class citizens for generations that has led to the issues that you describe.

I'll tell you now. When I have a source that says something better than I can.....and it relieves me of having to type out long posts...I'm going to use them. You can read. Post and run my ass.

Indeed, You wanted to win an argument by volume, not quality of argument. Pick one and we will debate it. I could write volumes of every category you posted. I chose not to because it would have taken too much time, and once I was done, there is little doubt that you would have not responded because it would have taken you too much time. Ergo, you would have wasted my time only not to reply to me. I saw that one coming from a mile away.

While you are critiquing the posting style of everyone here....don't forget to tell the dude with his nose up your ass to get lost.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Huh... So we're at that ever so problematic point: What came first the "White Privilege" or the negative behavior which strips a race of its privilege?

It doesn't matter. White privilege may have been "earned" as a group, but not by individuals. You also seem to be of the opinion that racism against a certain group is "earned" and that all members of that group should be punished for it.

You're speaking of cause and effect, hoping that the responsibilities for the 'cause' can be separated from the unenviable consequences of the 'effect'.

It's a lie... which follows, given your leftist nature and Left-think is founded upon the three tenets: Deceit, FRAUD and Ignorance.

There is no 'white privilege', there is only the consequences of a prolonged and extensive history which brings restrictions upon those who bear resemblance to the perpetrators of such.

I'm not even sure what your argument is here. It doesn't matter what the cause of White Privilege is, the effect is that it exists.

Again, I gave several examples of it.

You asked for examples. Now, by giving some, I'm guilty of something? Forget it.

White privilege is not a single instance event. It's a systematic stacking of the odds in favor of white people. It's not formalized, nor is it necessarily institutionalized (at least, not anymore), but it exists, because the odds are that the white person will have a better outcome than a black person in almost every confrontation, in almost every experience with their fellow humans. That is because there are deeply set attitudes that are held toward groups of people, depending upon their race (also gender, and economic class). The attitudes of those in power toward white people are more positive than the attitudes of those in power toward black people. Those in power, whether bankers, police, educators, etc, will simply say, "The odds are that the black person will behave in a certain manner," and act accordingly in their interactions with the black person. And when they are right, it reinforces the prejudice, and when they are wrong, they consider it "no harm done." After all, how bad is it to pull over a black guy driving an expensive car? How tragic is it to follow a black teenager walking a neighborhood? How much harm does it do to check the black woman for welfare fraud?

So where you come to claim that Examples are PLENTIFUL! You, instead of taking the opportunity to offer so much as ONE of just such an example from the plentiful supply of such, you decide to further perpetuate the MYTH?

Huh... I wonder why a person would do such a thing? Where such a person is presumed to be reasonable and honest in the public discourse?

That doesn't make sense... . Help a brother out here and post up an example or concede that you have none, through your failure to do so.

You haven't been paying attention. I don't make empty gestures.

Please don't do this. you will get an honest argument out of me.

What they have done is to prove themselves incapable of honest discourse. Your query is just, your argument is sound, therefore, the Left's defense is inadequate.

Such is the nature of Socialist Myth.

If it were intellectually sound, then where one finds the Left they would find prosperity, happiness and fulfilled lives... and not the racked and decaying cultures witnessed where ever such has been set to seed.

I was amazed how I asked for examples and the standard response was "why?" Hell, one would have been fine. I just wanted to figure out for myself how far I can give credence to their argument and how far I could not. I'm trying to find my niche in this argument but they don't want to argue. its a foregone uncritically examined conclusion for them.

I don't wish to argue.....you are correct.

I'd rather have a discussion. If what yiu said in the two previous posts stands...we will have one.

Let's see.
......If what you said.......
Yeah, I know it's just a typo, but to paraphrase Jesus, let he who makes no mistakes cast the first correction and insult based on said correction.

Look. The first article tells you that Asian Americans came here under much different circumstances....meaning they immigrated here at the bequest of American companies seeking highly educated workers....and they never experienced anything like Jim Crow. It basically calls the argument that Asian immigrants are somehow proof that blacks are culturally fucked all by themselves........baseless.

The second reveals that black immigrants who....like Asian immigrants...came here in the last quarter of the 20th century under largely favorable circumstances ALSO have kids who do better in school than Native American blacks. Blowing a hole in the argument from another angle. It's the EXPERIENCE of being second class citizens for generations that has led to the issues that you describe.

I'll tell you now. When I have a source that says something better than I can.....and it relieves me of having to type out long posts...I'm going to use them. You can read. Post and run my ass.

ROFLMNAO!

Good Lord... that is among the most feckless rants I've witnessed ON THE INTERNET!

Anyone... Black, Yellow, Brown or lily white, who rejects the irrational notions of Left-think and who embrace the principles of nature which govern human behavior... will prosper.

Those who embrace Left-think, will find themselves in a spiral of declining 'privileges', born exclusively from their privilege excluding behavior.

You haven't been paying attention. I don't make empty gestures.

Please don't do this. you will get an honest argument out of me.

What they have done is to prove themselves incapable of honest discourse. Your query is just, your argument is sound, therefore, the Left's defense is inadequate.

Such is the nature of Socialist Myth.

If it were intellectually sound, then where one finds the Left they would find prosperity, happiness and fulfilled lives... and not the racked and decaying cultures witnessed where ever such has been set to seed.

I was amazed how I asked for examples and the standard response was "why?" Hell, one would have been fine. I just wanted to figure out for myself how far I can give credence to their argument and how far I could not. I'm trying to find my niche in this argument but they don't want to argue. its a foregone uncritically examined conclusion for them.

I don't wish to argue.....you are correct.

I'd rather have a discussion. If what yiu said in the two previous posts stands...we will have one.

Let's see.
......If what you said.......
Yeah, I know it's just a typo, but to paraphrase Jesus, let he who makes no mistakes cast the first correction and insult based on said correction.

Wow! You really put me in my place.

An adult would have just said thanks for the info and learned from the experience. You have gone your entire life not knowing that there is a "d" in "supposed to". I pointed it out for you. Just think of how many times you have made that mistake. Think of how many times others didn't tell you about it.

I don't claim to be perfect. I make my share of usage errors. Mine are a little less obvious, though. I'm grateful when someone points them out.

Culture matters

The NYT article is an opinion peace that speaks to modern immigrants and ignores poorer immigrants past. That aside lets see what else that opinion piece skipped. The below quote comes from the pew study cited in the NYT article. The Rise of Asian Americans Pew Research Center s Social Demographic Trends Project

As you can see, Asian culture is much different than any other culture in the U.S. They have different values and different outlooks toward education. Many Asian cultures, in my opinion, are superior to both white and black cultures in the U.S. Those Asians got to where they were by hard work and determination. All the Pew study proved was that they valued hard work and education more than other cultures. It did not compare the success of poor Asians past towards new immigrants today. The claim made by the fella in the opinion piece is therefore garbage as he cites one side of the coin while ignoring others. Do your self a favor next time. STAY OUT OF THE OPINION SECTION OF THE NEW YORK TIMES. Use hard based sources and you will avoid future mistakes such as this one.

-------------------------From the Pew Study-----------------------------------

They also stand out for their strong emphasis on family. More than half (54%) say that having a successful marriage is one of the most important things in life; just 34% of all American adults agree. Two-thirds of Asian-American adults (67%) say that being a good parent is one of the most important things in life; just 50% of all adults agree.

Their living arrangements align with these values. They are more likely than all American adults to be married (59% vs. 51%); their newborns are less likely than all U.S. newborns to have an unmarried mother (16% vs. 41%); and their children are more likely than all U.S. children to be raised in a household with two married parents (80% vs. 63%).

They are more likely than the general public to live in multi-generational family households. Some 28% live with at least two adult generations under the same roof, twice the share of whites and slightly more than the share of blacks and Hispanics who live in such households. U.S. Asians also have a strong sense of filial respect; about two-thirds say parents should have a lot or some influence in choosing one’s profession (66%) and spouse (61%).

Asian Americans have a pervasive belief in the rewards of hard work. Nearly seven-in-ten (69%) say people can get ahead if they are willing to work hard, a view shared by a somewhat smaller share of the American public as a whole (58%). And fully 93% of Asian Americans describe members of their country of origin group as “very hardworking”; just 57% say the same about Americans as a whole.

By their own lights, Asian Americans sometimes go overboard in stressing hard work. Nearly four-in-ten (39%) say that Asian-American parents from their country of origin subgroup put too much pressure on their children to do well in school. Just 9% say the same about all American parents. On the flip-side of the same coin, about six-in-ten Asian Americans say American parents put too little pressure on their children to succeed in school, while just 9% say the same about Asian-American parents. (The publication last year of “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother,” a comic memoir about strict parenting by Yale Law Professor Amy Chua, the daughter of immigrants, triggered a spirited debate about cultural differences in parenting norms.)

Not all immigrants are equal. This is true (See below). But neither are their cultures. Asians value education more than most. That's why they are successful.

2012-sdt-asian-americans-0081.png

The second article discusses no facts but alludes to a letter from someone's personal story.

By the way, you have still not replied to the disparity in black births to single parents between Jim Crow and today.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back