What Is Up With Willfully Ignorant White People?

No matter who or what you are, you are likely to occasionally fall victim to looking at the world through a very specific lens. Such is anyone’s right, and ultimately, our experiences are our experiences. However, with a certain level of knowledge and an equal measure of maturity should come one realization: It isn’t all about you, thus, when judging a collective issue, you have to see all sides. And when it comes to topics like race, or better yet, racism, if you’re White, I would like to think you’d entertain the thought of looking outside yourself before trying to gauge such matters. After all, you’re White, you’ve got everything else more often than not. Such a task shouldn’t be considered all that taxing.

And yet, Washington Post reporter Michael A. Fletcher makes an important point in his piece, “Whites Think Discrimination Against Whites Is a Bigger Problem Than bias against Blacks,” where he examines White perceptions of racial disparity and how they “diverge far from reality.” He bases his analysis on colleague Russell Samuels’ report on the clueless White residents of Ferguson who had no idea that racism was considered a problem in the region by its Black inhabitants. Fletcher also points to research conducted by Harvard University professor Michael I. Norton.

Here, Fletcher examines some of the data:

For instance, two-thirds of Blacks think that African Americans make less money than Whites, a view in line with official statistics. But just 37 percent of Whites believe that Blacks make less money than Whites, and a narrow majority think Black and White’ incomes are about the same. Also, although many objective health measures suggest Blacks are in worse overall health than Whites, a majority of Whites think Blacks and Whites are equally healthy.

So it is no surprise that just 16 percent of Whites believe that there is “a lot” of discrimination in America today, a view held by 56 percent of Blacks. What may be surprising is that the polls found that White perceptions of anti-Black bias have diminished to the point where they are more now likely to think anti-White discrimination is a bigger problem than bias against Blacks.

On what planet is discrimination against White folks a larger problem than racial bias against Blacks?

Planet Vanilla where Bill O’Reilly (pictured) and company on FOX News are apparently racial scholars. Likewise, on a pop culture level,Miley Cyrus invented the twerk and cornrows never existed prior toKendall Jenner. I also imagine that on this planet, consuming diary isn’t a double dare to your stomach to turn up. It sounds like a lovely place to live if you’re White, but we’re not all so lucky so perhaps these White folks who think they lead more challenging lives due to their race than Black people might fly back to Earth with the rest of us.

Even on an anecdotal level, I noticed on social media that when images of Ferguson protestors burning American flags surfaced, the focus was on the loss of cloth and symbolism as opposed to actual life. It was not surprising but no less telling. Flag burning is a sensitive topic – one that will never stop being controversial – but if in 2014 you still cannot understand why so many Black people are frustrated, you are being purposely stupid.

Right around the time those images surfaced, a study came out that Black teenagers are 21 more times likely to be shot by police than White ones. And the study, “Deadly Force In Black and White,” clearly shows that there are no gray areas here. And yet, I’m sure there will be many who try to deny the presence of racism.

Already I can anticipate some of the e-mails I’ll get in response to this article. It happens every single time I discuss racism and the loss of Black life. I’m called a race-baiter and am accused of “hating Whites.” Actually, I hate everyone equally, but I will speak on a racist reality that beats me over the head repeatedly. You see, I don’t have the privilege of being clueless. My race precludes me from leading a life with blinders. If only others in much loftier positions would accept this is the case for millions and develop an outlook on race that denotes such.

*Now I'm sure white people will see the title and come in with Guns blazing which is to be expected by the title BUT the information in the article is correct and cannot be challenged. Let the crying begin....Up first...Matthew
I am so sick of the whole race thing.

Here, we just call each other sir and ma'am, and go about our business.

Until the racebaiters chime in, we never even think of race.

What heritage or culture does your family come from? The answer doesnt matter but ask yourself this:

Would you give up your culture, pride in that culture etc just because someone outside of your family thinks you should?

The answer is no...So why do you expect a black person to give up theirs because you dont like it
You like a culture responsible for most of the murder and abortion in this country?

That's a thing to be proud of?

And there you have it...dont expect others to give up what you refuse too. As soon as you realize you dont control others your life will be easier.

No matter who or what you are, you are likely to occasionally fall victim to looking at the world through a very specific lens. Such is anyone’s right, and ultimately, our experiences are our experiences. However, with a certain level of knowledge and an equal measure of maturity should come one realization: It isn’t all about you, thus, when judging a collective issue, you have to see all sides. And when it comes to topics like race, or better yet, racism, if you’re White, I would like to think you’d entertain the thought of looking outside yourself before trying to gauge such matters. After all, you’re White, you’ve got everything else more often than not. Such a task shouldn’t be considered all that taxing.

And yet, Washington Post reporter Michael A. Fletcher makes an important point in his piece, “Whites Think Discrimination Against Whites Is a Bigger Problem Than bias against Blacks,” where he examines White perceptions of racial disparity and how they “diverge far from reality.” He bases his analysis on colleague Russell Samuels’ report on the clueless White residents of Ferguson who had no idea that racism was considered a problem in the region by its Black inhabitants. Fletcher also points to research conducted by Harvard University professor Michael I. Norton.

For instance, two-thirds of Blacks think that African Americans make less money than Whites, a view in line with official statistics. But just 37 percent of Whites believe that Blacks make less money than Whites, and a narrow majority think Black and White’ incomes are about the same. Also, although many objective health measures suggest Blacks are in worse overall health than Whites, a majority of Whites think Blacks and Whites are equally healthy.

So it is no surprise that just 16 percent of Whites believe that there is “a lot” of discrimination in America today, a view held by 56 percent of Blacks. What may be surprising is that the polls found that White perceptions of anti-Black bias have diminished to the point where they are more now likely to think anti-White discrimination is a bigger problem than bias against Blacks.

On what planet is discrimination against White folks a larger problem than racial bias against Blacks?

Planet Vanilla where Bill O’Reilly (pictured) and company on FOX News are apparently racial scholars. Likewise, on a pop culture level,Miley Cyrus invented the twerk and cornrows never existed prior toKendall Jenner. I also imagine that on this planet, consuming diary isn’t a double dare to your stomach to turn up. It sounds like a lovely place to live if you’re White, but we’re not all so lucky so perhaps these White folks who think they lead more challenging lives due to their race than Black people might fly back to Earth with the rest of us.

Even on an anecdotal level, I noticed on social media that when images of Ferguson protestors burning American flags surfaced, the focus was on the loss of cloth and symbolism as opposed to actual life. It was not surprising but no less telling. Flag burning is a sensitive topic – one that will never stop being controversial – but if in 2014 you still cannot understand why so many Black people are frustrated, you are being purposely stupid.

Right around the time those images surfaced, a study came out that Black teenagers are 21 more times likely to be shot by police than White ones. And the study, “Deadly Force In Black and White,” clearly shows that there are no gray areas here. And yet, I’m sure there will be many who try to deny the presence of racism.

Already I can anticipate some of the e-mails I’ll get in response to this article. It happens every single time I discuss racism and the loss of Black life. I’m called a race-baiter and am accused of “hating Whites.” Actually, I hate everyone equally, but I will speak on a racist reality that beats me over the head repeatedly. You see, I don’t have the privilege of being clueless. My race precludes me from leading a life with blinders. If only others in much loftier positions would accept this is the case for millions and develop an outlook on race that denotes such.

*Now I'm sure white people will see the title and come in with Guns blazing which is to be expected by the title BUT the information in the article is correct and cannot be challenged. Let the crying begin....Up first...Matthew

What heritage or culture does your family come from? The answer doesnt matter but ask yourself this:

Would you give up your culture, pride in that culture etc just because someone outside of your family thinks you should?

The answer is no...So why do you expect a black person to give up theirs because you dont like it

Asking this question seems kind of redundant when you consider the vast melting pot that is the U.S. and the high rate of interracial relationships, I doubt the majority of people could tell you what their true heritage even is, just an observation mind you.

Asking this question seems kind of redundant when you consider the vast melting pot that is the U.S. and the high rate of interracial relationships, I doubt the majority of people could tell you what their true heritage even is, just an observation mind you.

You're thinking too far ahead...the point is that white people are always saying they dont see race. Like blacks shouldnt be black or be proud of it then they turn around and celebrate being Irish, Jewish, Italian etc.

But when it comes to black people specifically and minorities in general (brown people) whites say they should drop their pride and adopt white people shit.

Why? You dont abandon or distance yourself from your heritage why should blacks?

The answer doesnt matter because what an outsider thinks someone else should do just because they think it doesnt mean shit to the group its directed at.

So why did blacks Egyptians invent slavery and enslaved people for millennia. Anyone?
Whites invented slavery not Blacks. Go look up where the word slave came from. Hint. The Slavic people.

No.....you have said civilization started in Egypt and Egypt was 100% black. Therefore....black Egyptians invented slavery.

So why did black people invent slavery? Why did they enslave fellow blacks for thousands of years?

So why did blacks Egyptians invent slavery and enslaved people for millennia. Anyone?
Whites invented slavery not Blacks. Go look up where the word slave came from. Hint. The Slavic people.

No.....you have said civilization started in Egypt and Egypt was 100% black. Therefore....black Egyptians invented slavery.

So why did black people invent slavery? Why did they enslave fellow blacks for thousands of years?

You dont even believe that logic unless you dont care about who created slavery.

But if you dont care about that answer...what are you fussing about? The false logic you made up?

I said civilization started in Africa. No one said anything about slavery but you.

I said civilization started in Africa. No one said anything about slavery but you.

But girlfriend....Egypt has multiple sources that says they had slaves for thousands of years. The Greeks, Romans, Persians, Assyrians, Phoenicians not to mention to Hebrew Bible all attest to this.

So if civilization started in Egypt as you have said....so did slavery.

So the question I have asked many times remains: Why did Blacks invent slavery and practice it for thousands of years in Egypt?

But girlfriend....Egypt has multiple sources that says they had slaves for thousands of years. The Greeks, Romans, Persians, Assyrians, Phoenicians not to mention to Hebrew Bible all attest to this.

So the question I have asked many times remains: Why did Blacks invent slavery and practice it for thousands of years in Egypt?
Sorry girlfriend. Civilization didnt start in Egypt. It started long before that in the Sahara. Slavery didnt start in Egypt either. If it did why isnt slavery called something in the Egyptian language instead of the word used to describe Europeans?

Oh since civilization started in Egypt you believe that everything in the world was created by Egyptians? :rofl:

Oh since civilization started in Egypt you believe that everything in the world was created by Egyptians? :rofl:

Next thing you know Welfaregirl is going to be claiming that air travel was invented in Egypt.

Well girl you said that civilization started in Egypt so why'd the Egyptians create Sliced bread, the Cotton Gin, Love and Microsoft Office?

How do you expect us white people to answer your question since we are predetermined to be ignorant?

I didnt say all white people calm down sheesh. I mean I expect you to answer a question no matter what I predetermined anyone to be. Unless that has something to do with your ability to answer a question...thats not really there in the first place

I mean if you asked me if blacks make less than whites, I may answer based on the assumption you were talking about collectively or I might answer based upon the assumption you were talking about similarly situated people in the same job at the same employer. For some, inconvenient nuance is ignorance I suppose.

Yeah but we arent talking about nuance here...Its a simple question without qualifications

No it is not a simple question. There is a lot of nuance because different people will answer it based on different interpretations of what you are asking. It is how many pollsters try to gild the lily they are hoping for.

True, but even if people answered it differently based on their interpretation the majority of white people all interpreted the same as "blacks are paid the same as whites" and other questions.

People are usually paid by companies and corporations according to their value to the company or corporation.

And government should be the employer of last resort, and pay benefits according to an individuals value to he nation.
except that is not how the government civil service system works. It was designed the way it is to take the payola out of the system.

Forum List

Back