What is Turkey Drastically Enlarging Their Army For?

Turkey's neighbor, Iraq, is in disarray and may well become a failed and rogue state because of the US invasion and conquering of that nation.
Because rogue nations invade their neighbors correct. Like Kuwait, Iran and missiles shot at Israel? Rogue nations genocide their own people? All things done under Turkey. Believe it or not Iraq is stabilizing. I know you will ignore that fact, because your a partisan liar!

But to your erroneous point. You are saying a weak Iraq, one in a vicious civil war (which you predict when we leave) and one with a weak military and economy is a threat to Turkey? :lol: you're a fool!

The PKK ( mostly kurdish) have been bombing major cities like Istanbul. That's the same terrorists the Bush administration may have been financing to go after Iran.
Baseless assertions by a troll. Fact is the most stable and best economic sector of Iraq is the Kurdish north. They even have Western tourist vacationing there!

Greece has also modernized it's military (Hence it's troubles). Greece is a major "competitor" in the region.
LOL, I think Greece has enough issues and they are too lazy to try to influence anyone!

Additionally and last I checked...Turkey is a sovereign nation. They basically can do what they want.
I never said they couldn't you stupid fuck! I asked what it's for.

It's the writing on the wall.

progs and neo-cons are losing thier voice. there will soon be no call for us to go help people b/c we can. The reality of the vast cost is starting to sink in.

The world will have to police itself.

And I really find it "interesting" that a major NATO ally, building up it's own armed forces, illicits any sort of notice from anyone.

If anything it should be applauded as they may be taking on some responsibility for security in the region.

My Dad served in Korea along side some Turks. 3 things he noted about Turks.

They are insane.
They are insanly brave.
And they have an inferiority complex twards Americans

Personally I'm all for them, or any of our allies taking up the slack.

If it turns out they go to war with other of our allies, and we have to respond. It's an army, not a bunch of terrorist that can drop thier weapons and blend in.

They already have the largest army in the region. The largest muslim army. They have the 2nd largest army in NATO and their army is larger than France, German and Britian's combined. They have no enemies that are ready to invade. Yep that includes there MAJOR trading partner Israel (Trade between Israeli farms, Turkey booming amid diplomatic tensions)! They are under no threat of invasion. The Kurdish Freedom Fighters are a nusiance, but not close to anything that could take down the country or even a small city. They are boys with Iran! So in reality there is no DEFENSIVE reason to double the size of an already ginoreous army!

Jew haters will of course say to threats by Israel or for the coming invasion and destruction of Israel. But I am not so sure. Trade is thriving between the two nations. If Ankara wanted an excuse to go to war with Israel they had it with the flotilla episode. Not to mention Ankara is preventing future flotillas.

So what is the reason for this?:confused:

Turkey to double size of its army
With Prime Minister Erdogan's Islamist AK party having seized its third landslide election victory in Turkey, many throughout the international community have been watching to see what will be next on the Turkish agenda.

Now there are strong indicators in the Turkish media that Turkey is planning on literally doubling the size of its army – this coming from the nation that already has the largest army in Middle East and the second-largest army in NATO, second only to the United States. Presently, Turkey's army has over 500,000 troops. Its army is larger than France, Germany and England combined. And now Turkish media are reporting that they are planning on adding another 500,000 paid soldiers.

Despite the government's claims that the purpose of the army would be to address terrorism, skepticism concerning such a massive force is well-deserved. First of all, creating an army this size merely to address Turkey's terrorism problem, primarily from the PKK, a Kurdish separatist group in the southeast, would be like trying to kill an ant using a nuclear warhead. Secondly, such a move certainly will only reinforce the concerns of those who believe that Turkey has broad-ranging neo-Ottoman regional aspirations.

Such an expansion would be particularly concerning in light of the Turkish government's recent swing toward Islamist political alliances. They have worked to significantly reinforce strategic alliances with both Iran and Syria, two of the most well-established state sponsors of terrorism globally, while significantly cooling its relationship with Israel and the United States. Despite this, the Obama administration this past January, sold the Turkish Air Force 100 F-35 Lightning II fighter jets. Turkey already manufactures it's own F-16s.

It is also essential to once again remind ourselves of the recent accomplishments of the Islamist AK party under Prime Minister Erdogan's leadership. In just the past several years, the AK party has edged ever closer to establishing a full-blown dictatorship, all in the name of democracy. Since 2002, they have managed to accomplish the following:

• occupy the presidency;
  • occupy the seat of prime minister;
  • gain a large majority of seats in the parliament;
  • fill the judiciary with Islamist-leaning judges;
  • behead the top echelons of the military;
  • infiltrate the police force (over 70 percent of officers are members the Islamist Gulen movement);
  • intimidate and imprison Turkish journalists (there are more Turkish journalists in prison than any other nation in the world – more than China or Iran).
  • The nation's leadership is now working toward a bill authorizing them to rewrite the Turkish Constitution, giving them far more sweeping powers over the military and judiciary

Very simple. If the countries near yours were in unrest and your whole region in general seemed to be experiencing heavy political turmoil then the smart thing to do is up your military as a deterrant to outside and inside forces that may wish to spread unrest in your land.

And considering how poorly the Turks and Greek get along, this may help the Greek government get it's own people to settle down.

Nothing brings 2 parties together like mutual hate for a 3rd. :lol:

Turkey's neighbor, Iraq, is in disarray and may well become a failed and rogue state because of the US invasion and conquering of that nation.
Because rogue nations invade their neighbors correct. Like Kuwait, Iran and missiles shot at Israel? Rogue nations genocide their own people? All things done under Turkey. Believe it or not Iraq is stabilizing. I know you will ignore that fact, because your a partisan liar!

But to your erroneous point. You are saying a weak Iraq, one in a vicious civil war (which you predict when we leave) and one with a weak military and economy is a threat to Turkey? :lol: you're a fool!

The PKK ( mostly kurdish) have been bombing major cities like Istanbul. That's the same terrorists the Bush administration may have been financing to go after Iran.
Baseless assertions by a troll. Fact is the most stable and best economic sector of Iraq is the Kurdish north. They even have Western tourist vacationing there!

Greece has also modernized it's military (Hence it's troubles). Greece is a major "competitor" in the region.
LOL, I think Greece has enough issues and they are too lazy to try to influence anyone!

Additionally and last I checked...Turkey is a sovereign nation. They basically can do what they want.
I never said they couldn't you stupid fuck! I asked what it's for.

Turkey's killed American military and civilians, when exactly?

Israel's done that on multiple occassions..as well as keeping nuclear arms and spied on the US.

And the PKK are terrorists, chief. They really have committed terrorism against the Turks.

Here's some lovely behavior by your precious Kurds.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_ZWTx-QUj4]YouTube - ‪Honor Killing - Iraqi Girl Stoned‬‏[/ame]

It gives the reason why in the OP link
"The government is prepared to hire 500,000 people. ... This structural change will also contribute to our struggle with unemployment,"

They also have other means in their "struggle with unemployment"

They also have other means in their "struggle with unemployment"

Conscription lasts 15 months.
Conscripts who have reached end of their service are now allowed to become "professional soldiers" for 10 years.

No one knows if the number of those "career soldiers" will reach 500.000.
It depends on how many conscripts enlist after their conscription.

The size of conscription Army is 510,000 Soldiers. Every day there are coming new conscripts and there are conscripts who reach the end of their service.
So, the Army is not going to grow significantly in a short period, but gradually depending on how many conscripts decide to become career soldiers and serve for an extending 10 years.

Defence Minister: Size of career soldiers is unknown and 500.000 number of media can not be confirmed
Gönül: Profesyonel asker sayısı belli değil

Having thousands of ex military men running around would be a bit threatening to the establishment and economy. Got to keep em busy somehow. Let more of them stay in the military.

If it turns out they go to war with other of our allies, and we have to respond. It's an army, not a bunch of terrorist that can drop thier weapons and blend in.

turkeytopo.jpg

Invasion of Turkey's core is practically impossible without enormous air-lifting capacity, which the US clearly has, but will come with a hefty price both in human and materialistic costs.

In the last 1.000 years, the only people who achieved to invade and secure the Anatolian plateau was the Turks themselves. With horses and such, where the only defensive positions were gunpowder-less castles, and a lot less people inhabiting this space. These days there is artillery and everything else, which Turkey has plenty of.
It would be either genocide-style air-bombing or accomodation.

Having thousands of ex military men running around would be a bit threatening to the establishment and economy. Got to keep em busy somehow. Let more of them stay in the military.

They'll be paid 1.211 $/month (today's exchange rate) + yearly inflation change and after their service they'll get a bonus of 36.340 $ (today's exchange rate).
After their 10-year service is finally over, they'll be preferentially employed as prison guards of the State. Only unmarried conscripts will be able to apply to become "professional soldier".

Forum List

Back