What is trolling?

That's more flooding the forum.

Trolling.....

Here's What You Need to Know About Internet Trolling
I dont really agree with that article. I see the trolls as deliberately posting crap that on investigation turns out to be......crap.
Some forums manage this and some ignore it.
There are a few posters on here that spam up the board with crap that is disproven pretty quickly but is still allowed to stand.

A while back one of the Alt righters posted a video purporting to be muslims rioting in London.It was actually a video of nazis attacking muslims in Cardiff. It will still be on the site somewhere. Credibility shot.

Low quality mods dont help the situation and give the trolls a paradise they dont deserve.

Doesn't much matter what you believe, or agree with. That link merely gave an idea of what trolling was.
I am certain you know what trolling is.
LOL You're a mod. Should you really be saying something like that? LOL

Remember. Unless a mod posts in red they are posting as themselves. We do get to do that. View attachment 172495
Unless a mod posts in red
I didn't know about the "in red" constraint. TY for telling me that.

Be that as it may, I'm a partner in a firm and though I'm allowed to have personal views about what goes on within the firm and among its employees and partners, the fact of the matter is that it is impossible for me, as a person, to say something that might reflect negatively on the firm or that might be contrary to firm policy, do so within earshot of a firm subordinate (especially a non general partner subordinate), and expect that my having done has no bearing on how they may construe the thing of which I spoke and in some small way foment discord with regard to it. If they hear me make such remarks, it opens the door thinking such as:
"Well, he said 'such and such,' and he's a general partner, part of the managing partner group, one of the most senior partners, etc It thus okay for me to say that too."​
The reality could not be farther from the truth. I know that, which is why I'd never say those kinds of "such and suches" in places where subordinate might hear it. It's not that I want to keep a secret, per se, but rather that I know that maintaining the discipline and culture we owners want the firm to have, non-owners or those having limited liability cannot be allowed to do/say certain things that we general partners can.

As a general partner, I have to set an example, and my doing so must be unwavering. I cannot do that with utmost effectiveness if I am not seen to adhere to and support the firm's policies, procedures and desired cultural norms.

welcome-internet-cat-watch.gif

I don't really know, but when I look at the short "active topics" list on the right side of the page and see all eight slots filled by one person in the space of ten minutes, what comes to mind for me is this:

latest

Sorry, NO. Active posters of useful topics are an asset here.

Just thought of other troll posts....Trump is a (fill in the blank with the expletive of your choice).

Trolling.....

I dont really agree with that article. I see the trolls as deliberately posting crap that on investigation turns out to be......crap.
There are a few posters on here that spam up the board with crap that is disproven pretty quickly but is still allowed to stand.

A while back one of the Alt righters posted a video purporting to be muslims rioting in London.It was actually a video of nazis attacking muslims in Cardiff. It will still be on the site somewhere. Credibility shot.

Low quality mods dont help the situation and give the trolls a paradise they dont deserve.

Doesn't much matter what you believe, or agree with. That link merely gave an idea of what trolling was.
LOL You're a mod. Should you really be saying something like that? LOL

Remember. Unless a mod posts in red they are posting as themselves. We do get to do that. View attachment 172495
Unless a mod posts in red
I didn't know about the "in red" constraint. TY for telling me that.

Be that as it may, I'm a partner in a firm and though I'm allowed to have personal views about what goes on within the firm and among its employees and partners, the fact of the matter is that it is impossible for me, as a person, to say something that might reflect negatively on the firm or that might be contrary to firm policy, do so within earshot of a firm subordinate (especially a non general partner subordinate), and expect that my having done has no bearing on how they may construe the thing of which I spoke and in some small way foment discord with regard to it. If they hear me make such remarks, it opens the door thinking such as:
"Well, he said 'such and such,' and he's a general partner, part of the managing partner group, one of the most senior partners, etc It thus okay for me to say that too."​
The reality could not be farther from the truth. I know that, which is why I'd never say those kinds of "such and suches" in places where subordinate might hear it. It's not that I want to keep a secret, per se, but rather that I know that maintaining the discipline and culture we owners want the firm to have, non-owners or those having limited liability cannot be allowed to do/say certain things that we general partners can.

As a general partner, I have to set an example, and my doing so must be unwavering. I cannot do that with utmost effectiveness if I am not seen to adhere to and support the firm's policies, procedures and desired cultural norms.

I understand what you are saying. However I am not a paid employee, therefore I have no issues such as that. I try to follow the rules of modding, and there are some important guidelines, and much is also left to the discretion of a mod.

I think it's a good topic, because nobody has a consistent definition of trolling.

It's like the word "fascist" --- it's become an all-purpose insult for behavior someone doesn't like. I've been called a troll more than once, but I don't know it if I am: I'm not doing it on purpose! And I've been called a communist, a KKK-er, a feminazi, a Holly Homemaker, and lots else, so as these tend to be self-contradictory, I think "troll" is in the eye of the beholder.

I'd say anyone paid to post is a troll (Putin's minions now, but I've seen others). Any foreign national doing counter-propaganda is a troll, and the North Koreans, Iranians, and other enemies try it on more often than you might think, IMO.

I agree with Xelor that anyone posting many topics very fast is probably an agenda troll (and probably paid). I was on a forum once where this guy -- Red State Rules, IIRC -- was posting DOZENS, 35 or 40, topics all day every day, 7 days a week. A hard-working man. He never supported his topics with his own input: just threw them out broadcast, presumably to influence the forum some way or another. It was very frustrating and eventually I couldn't see the point of being there.

I think you have to be elected first, be completely uncooperative with other parties and ignore laws to be a troll.

Yep I think there should be a limit to the number of threads a person can start each day. At one point there were about 3 posters, who between them, would create about 20 different threads each day. Longknife is one of them.

Longknife kicks out about 8 and then nothing for a few days or a week or so. The problem is that you guys bitch but then all you do is kick out thread after thread of Trump and sit on your sanctimonious asses repeating the same shit over and over again. You fucking bore me.

You don't even have the balls to confront him directly.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
Longknife kicks out about 8 and then nothing for a few days or a week or so. The problem is that you guys bitch but then all you do is kick out thread after thread of Trump and sit on your sanctimonious asses repeating the same shit over and over again. You fucking bore me.

I have. He's not the only one that does it. I just can't remember the other's names right now.

Of course how does confronting him change anything? He's not going to stop because someone says something... in fact he might start to post even more out of spite. lol

Just looked, American Jihad is one of the other ones that creates a bundle of 5+ threads at a time.

I have. He's not the only one that does it. I just can't remember the other's names right now.

But, it's just easier to create threads like this? It's some punk ass shit. This thread was created before another one on Trump on twitter.

I do it. Every so often I read through everything and things I find interesting or that have the potential to become political are posted in the global forums or others. Those forums aren't active or are barely active.

Last edited:
Why do people even care how many threads a person starts a day? If the topics are uninteresting they will die on the vine.

Trolling.....

In my mind, that is the confluence of indolence, ignorance and insipidity.

Nawww.. It's actually independent of "quality" of content. You can't moderate "ignorance". And if you're not patient enough to attempt to FIX ignorance -- then you're not real good at "discussion"..

What it REALLY IS -- is a PATTERN of attempting to interrupt conversation by attempting to the change the subject. Can be done many ways.

1) By personal taunting and intimidation. TARGETING specific posters to engage them personally. Making the topic about this personal feud. .

2) By excessive "whataboutism" where the Venn Diagram of topical discussion is inverted to ONLY include things that are OFF topic.

3) By simply doing a bad "stand-up comedy" routine and just mocking the intended topic of discussion.

4) A penchant to just DERAIL threads with petty PERSONAL priorities about subjects NOT related to the topic.

IMO -- there is no such thing as a SINGLE trolling post. There's a pattern to the trolling behavior. Just like trolling from a boat isn't dipping the bait and just reeling it back in.

Trolling.....

Nawww.. It's actually independent of "quality" of content. You can't moderate "ignorance". And if you're not patient enough to attempt to FIX ignorance -- then you're not real good at "discussion"..

What it REALLY IS -- is a PATTERN of attempting to interrupt conversation by attempting to the change the subject. Can be done many ways.

1) By personal taunting and intimidation. TARGETING specific posters to engage them personally. Making the topic about this personal feud. .

2) By excessive "whataboutism" where the Venn Diagram of topical discussion is inverted to ONLY include things that are OFF topic.

3) By simply doing a bad "stand-up comedy" routine and just mocking the intended topic of discussion.

4) A penchant to just DERAIL threads with petty PERSONAL priorities about subjects NOT related to the topic.

IMO -- there is no such thing as a SINGLE trolling post. There's a pattern to the trolling behavior. Just like trolling from a boat isn't dipping the bait and just reeling it back in.

What kind of fish do you typically go after? What's your favorite type of bait?

I'm trolling you on your post about trolling. Should something special happen now? Like a rip in the space-time continuum?

But, it's just easier to create threads like this? It's some punk ass shit. This thread was created before another one on Trump on twitter.

I do it. Every so often I read through everything and things I find interesting or that have the potential to become political are posted in the global forums or others. Those forums aren't active or are barely active.

When someone posts 7+ threads in a row all in the same forum, it pushes other more pertinent threads further down the list, and depending on how some people peruse the forum, they miss the other posts. Personally I just hit the new posts button all day and don't go into each separate forum... so now I no longer see Flamezone threads.

Trolling.....

What kind of fish do you typically go after? What's your favorite type of bait?

I'm trolling you on your post about trolling. Should something special happen now? Like a rip in the space-time continuum?

Just watch how that should be handled.. /Ignore/ :badgrin:

BUT -- if you do it again -- It COULD be trolling.. :thanks:

When someone posts 7+ threads in a row all in the same forum, it pushes other more pertinent threads further down the list, and depending on how some people peruse the forum, they miss the other posts. Personally I just hit the new posts button all day and don't go into each separate forum... so now I no longer see Flamezone threads.

Now that depends.. If the person is posting UNIQUE topics that otherwise would be ignored -- I PERSONALLY appreciate that. Because a steady diet of political junk food will kill you..

So the way I look at it is if there is INTENT to dominate ONE particular forum, that's bad manners. But it only makes USMB stronger if we ADD scope and breadth to the topics that can be discussed.

That's not exactly trolling anyways. Because you can't DERAIL or CHANGE a topic by simply adding new UNIQUE topics of various flavors.

BTW -- I checked.. NEW FZ threads DO show in the "active topics" right side panel. That panel is actual "NEW topics" not "Active Topics".. The Active Topics that you get to from the Menu Bar is weighted differently and depends on post frequency and volume. And for some reason -- FZ topics STOPPED showing up there recently. Probably because of the "group identities" we created for 100+ post count access to the FZ...

Forum List

Back