What is this thing about "Blame it on Canada"?

Minimum wage in the US is $5.15/hr. I am an advocate to raise it. I make well above that, as do many friends. However, I do know several people (grown men and women with children) working for minimum wage...they aren't exactly making ends meet.

-Douglas

Which leads me to a question...

I was talking to my neighbor last night who is a waitress. How exactly does business get around the minimum wage law with waitresses? My neighbor is in her late 50s and runs her ass off for Pizza Hut for the past eight years... her wage? $2.52/hour.

Anyone care to educate me on the loophole for waitresses/waiters?

lilcountriegal said:

I was talking to my neighbor last night who is a waitress. How exactly does business get around the minimum wage law with waitresses? My neighbor is in her late 50s and runs her ass off for Pizza Hut for the past eight years... her wage? $2.52/hour.

Who can live off of $2.25? Even with tips, which are nothing you would want to depend on, is not going to cut it.

MrMarbles said:
Who can live off of $2.25? Even with tips, which are nothing you would want to depend on, is not going to cut it.

Hey, back in 1975 I made 75 cents per hour. At the same time I was making $110 or more for a 6 hour shift as a waitress. Who's reeming whom? :spank3:

lilcountriegal said:

If the average tip income is high enough, then the lower wage is justified. Especially since cash tips are not taxable income. I could not possibly be a waiter - it would simply drive me insane. However, I have plenty of friends waiting tables, most of them with a wage of something like $4.00/hr. But with their tips, they are truly making bank! As long as you don't live in a rural, po-dunk town, tips are not to be scoffed at!

-Douglas

Forum List

Back