What is the Weirdest Food you have ever eaten?

Not at all.

I believe prisons still use road kill. I know USDA still does for food banks.

We aren't talking possums, though. This is venison, and fresh. It isn't like they show up 3-4 days later and pick it up.

Not so AB. I used to work in a prison, and sometimes, if I hadn't brought my own lunch, I'd eat the prison food. Sometimes it was good, but most of the time was quite bland. I do know for a fact though they did NOT use road kill.

I worked in a jail kitchen. My ex was a corrections lieutenant up for security manager, about 18 years ago.

We didn't use road kill in the jail, they use almost exclusively turkey products. It's cheap and any religion can eat turkey, it seems.

But I know for a fact that prisons have used road kill because I know the game commission guys who provided it to them. I don't know if they still do, probably not, though different states may have different regulations.

BTW, when I worked at the jail, we made the inmates' food...and about half the time we made the officers something else. Jail food is NOT good.

But we had to contract out to the prison down the road when we were resurfacing the floor of our kitchen, and their food was incredible.

My advice to anyone who plans to take up residence in prison: Declare yourself a vegan. You will get INCREDIBLE food. And believe me, you're not missing anything if you opt out of the meat.

When my husband was there I ate Thanksgiving dinner twice with the officers in the prison (served by inmates). It was great.

I worked in a jail kitchen. My ex was a corrections lieutenant up for security manager, about 18 years ago.

We didn't use road kill in the jail, they use almost exclusively turkey products. It's cheap and any religion can eat turkey, it seems.

But I know for a fact that prisons have used road kill because I know the game commission guys who provided it to them. I don't know if they still do, probably not, though different states may have different regulations.

BTW, when I worked at the jail, we made the inmates' food...and about half the time we made the officers something else. Jail food is NOT good.

But we had to contract out to the prison down the road when we were resurfacing the floor of our kitchen, and their food was incredible.

My advice to anyone who plans to take up residence in prison: Declare yourself a vegan. You will get INCREDIBLE food. And believe me, you're not missing anything if you opt out of the meat.

Can a prison legally serve meat that isn't USDA inspected and approved?

Forum List

Back