What is the very FIRST question that we asked in the Holy Bible?

I don't necessarily see it as a monetary thing, but on the whole, I believe we should be guiding one another and watching out for one another....

I think you are right. We should. We shouldn't be delegating that to a Government entity.

When we address a societal problem as a community, using government resources (our collective wealth) is one way to help. I live in a rural community with 18% unemployment. Without UI benefits and food stamps, a lot of children would be homeless and go hungry.

There are lots of non-profit organizations funded by people that serve people outside of its home community.

I think you are right. We should. We shouldn't be delegating that to a Government entity.

When we address a societal problem as a community, using government resources (our collective wealth) is one way to help. I live in a rural community with 18% unemployment. Without UI benefits and food stamps, a lot of children would be homeless and go hungry.

There are lots of non-profit organizations funded by people that serve people outside of its home community.

Yes, we need all of it, non-profits, church charities, UI, Food Stamps, etc.

"Am I my brother's keeper?"~Cain

was an answer ever given?

what do you Bible readers and believers think?

imo the simple answer is, yes, yes we are....

I agree.

Why else would God be asking Cain where Abel is??

:eusa_angel:

If Adam had dominion over all the animals of the world why wouldn't we be expected to take care of one another?
:cool:

And be good steward's of God's Earth and replenish what we take?

I agree.

If Adam had dominion over all the animals of the world why wouldn't we be expected to take care of one another?

That word, "dominion", gives me the shivers. Being a good steward of the earth and replenishing what we take is good practice for all of us, whether we believe in God, or not.

I agree.

Deal!

Why don't you just tell everyone what you think it means? Are we our brothers keeper?

I'd say yes, and no. It really depends. In terms of family, sure, if the guy needs some help here and there. If he's a douchebag that's constantly getting in trouble, constantly bringing everyone down with him, though, fuck him. Nobody should have to be a babysitter for grown men (or women, whatever the case may be).

I agree.

That word, "dominion", gives me the shivers. Being a good steward of the earth and replenishing what we take is good practice for all of us, whether we believe in God, or not.

Simply means that we're higher in the chain of command.

We rule, or have authority.

'Aren't we greater than the sparrow?'

I believe in Free Will and Free Choice. I do support a Safety Net established by the consent of the Governed, subject to regulation and change, as circumstance dictates. I also believe in each Individual taking responsibility for the consequences for choice and action, and in doing their part in one way or another. There is no reason to give something for nothing without end, or for nothing in return. That is entitlement.

Do you consider Unemployment Insurance, an "entitlement program"?

Are you aware that in my state we have a welfare to work program, and that everyone is required to work 32 hours a week for their grant?

I think it should be limited. Current Policy is unsustainable. I also believe in Day Labor, or Pool Labor, Temp Labor,where you can obtain work on a daily basis, and be paid daily without a holding period. That serves the poorest of the poor best, by both not delaying Compensation, and skill development.

I'm 54 and have never received Unemployment. I've had many jobs in my time.

Welfare/Work Programs do help with skill levels. What State if I may ask?

Last edited:

I agree.

I think you missed the meaning of the Passage there. God was questioning a Murderer about the Victim. Cain was covering up a Homicide at the time he was questioned about the Victim. He took care of Abel alright, just not in the terms you are relating to.

I agree.

I think you missed the meaning of the Passage there. God was questioning a Murderer about the Victim. Cain was covering up a Homicide at the time he was questioned about the Victim. He took care of Abel alright, just not in the terms you are relating to.

I *had* forgotten that aspect of the exchange.

Nonetheless we are still our brothers' keepers.

Yes we are our brothers keeper as far as our bother allows us to "keep" him.

We all should help each other when we can.

There are lots of young men around here that I pay for them to take their miners class to get their paper to work. Some pay me back some dont. I have been blessed many times over by the Lord and like to give others a chance.

i was always told that him questioning whether or not he was his brother's keeper was wrong. in fact, the question was raised when cain already knew he had murdered his brother, iirc.

i think that's a pretty big indication that the question was silly.

the talmud says to save one person is to save the world. i figure that's the answer.

jesus, in his teachings always emphasized taking care of the poor.

amazingly, he didn't say a single word about gays.

i was always told that him questioning whether or not he was his brother's keeper was wrong. in fact, the question was raised when cain already knew he had murdered his brother, iirc.

the talmud says to save one person is to save the world. i figure that's the answer.

I wish it was possible to Rep 4 out of 5 sentences......
:eusa_eh:

I wish it was possible to Rep 4 out of 5 sentences......
:eusa_eh:

I was thinking the same thing :lol:

I agree.

I *had* forgotten that aspect of the exchange.

Nonetheless we are still our brothers' keepers.

I want what I want when I want it Syndrome? :lol:

Yep. I bet he would not have been great at filling out paper work either though. ;)

To effect positive change is always a good thing. To make crooked thing straight, to Establish Justice, to Bless, rather than Curse. You Mench you. ;)

Yep. I bet he would not have been great at filling out paper work either though. ;)

To effect positive change is always a good thing. To make crooked thing straight, to Establish Justice, to Bless, rather than Curse. You Mench you. ;)

I don't think G-d much likes paperwork either. Last I heard, he only kept two lists. :D

you said mensch. heheheheh. :D

*hug*

Forum List

Back