What is the universal definition of god?

amrchaos

Pentheus torn apart
Nov 1, 2008
Miami
Let us say that God is the totality of the universe. Now who is an atheist.

Only those who do not belief they exist. But is this the true definition of god?

Throughout history, man has defined god as many things. The creator of the universe. A man. A statute. An abstract concept. An emotion!

But it is apparent that all these definitions are not the same, nor are they acceptable by everyone that believes there is a god. So I ask, is what you believe in sensible?

A lame rationalization.

Lets say god is not the entire universe..
See how that works?

But that is also the point. Whais the "universal definition of god"?

There is none. And when you try to make a case against one definition, the "believer" (if you can actually call them that) push forward another definition of god. A definition entirely different from the first one.

What is the universal definition of god?

It depends on your sample of definers and how specific a definition you want.

If you ask the whole world if there IS a God, you'll get a 50/50 shot at 'yes' or 'no', with a 60/40 to 70/30 range - nothing new here.

The more specific you ask about the God that is being defined for any given individual, the more sub groups and answers you'll get. If you ask every human who believes there is a God to give you their strictest universal definition of the God they themselves worship, you'll end up not with a consensus but as many gods as there are boys and girls who answer. There will be similarities to be certain, but even the staunchest Catholic and the most stubborn Jew has something in their religion that they've reconciled in their own mind by deciding that they're going to need to have a little chat with God about it when they see Him.

Everyone I meet proves to me daily that human beliefs are like nipples - everyone has a set and no two sets are exactly alike.

Last edited:
god: invisible super-being that lives in another dimension, brought on by feelings of inadequacy and fear, to give direction to the simple.

Forum List

Back