CDZ What is the right punishment for that fool of a swimmer?

The past week's sports headlines have been heavy with discussion about Ryan Lochte and two of his teammates on the US Olympic swim team. Mr. Lochte claimed to have been accosted by an armed individual; however, after investigating the matter, police discovered that Mr. Lochte lied about what transpired. Mr. Lochte has basically concurred with that finding.

Also, in an interview, Lochte stated:

Lochte: I think we were still in shock but we were trying to forget everything and we were still intoxicated. Not that I’m saying that alcohol is an excuse, it isn’t, especially the actions I took. But we were very intoxicated.

Q: You were on TV the next day.

Lochte: It was hours later, so I was still intoxicated.​

Excuse me? In shock from and trying to forget what exactly? In Lochte's words, they were trying to forget "everything." Well forgetting "everything" does include forgetting one's obligation to tell the truth. What "everything" could not include for Lochte was the experience of having been robbed at gunpoint in Rio because, that quite simply did not happen.

So what do I make of all that?
  • As goes Lochte himself:
  • As goes a punishment:
    • Were I a member of the USOC, I'd move to strip him of his medal. Were I able to conceive of a penalty other than that which also demonstrates palpably to him and to the world that the U.S. does not tolerate the kind of integrity lapse that Lochte displayed, then fine, he can keep the medal. It's just not acceptable that someone given the honor of being among the people representing the U.S. at an international event having the stature of the Olympics, and as punishment for bringing shame on a nation whose people (not the government) are generally seen as self-serving to the point of having no regard for anyone else, suffer nothing more than chastening concomitant with a slap on the hand and bad publicity. The message sent by whatever be Lochte's punishment must speak not only to Americans, but also to peoples of the world.

Last edited:
"What is the right punishment for that fool of a swimmer?"
Nothing. They had a good time, got wasted to wind down after the tension and stress. He probably doesn't remember half of it what happened. He perceived the security guy as a bum or store clerk or something since they wore those weird shirts as the store clerks did according to the video. They demanded money for some alleged damage in the bathroom, he thought they were shaken down. All in all nothing punishment wise. They messed it up a bit but didn't we all one time or the other?

IOW, "He was drunk, so it doesn't count." The excuse for every DUI fatality ever.
I did not say it did not count. I said let it go. No harm done.

Forum List

Back