CDZ What is the right punishment for that fool of a swimmer?

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
is it generally agreed that Ryan Lochte and his buddies got drunk, damaged a bathroom, got detained at gunpoint by a rent a cop and started lying about it first to his mother then the world?

Assuming I have it right, what is the right punishment for it?

If it were a regular citizen I'd give them some community service and make them take a few AA classes.

Ryan having a PR sensitive job will probably get suspended by whatever swimming agency and have to pay some restitution.

I'd vote for a year suspension and having to do a few months community service myself. He may (or may not now I suppose) have more access to money than the average man but we all get equally annoyed by community service. Maybe make it cleaning up the grounds of the Brazilian Embassy or working to do something useful for Brazil somehow. Sending him back to Brazil to clean along roadways for a month would be nice but I'm not sure realistic.

is it generally agreed that Ryan Lochte and his buddies got drunk, damaged a bathroom, got detained at gunpoint by a rent a cop and started lying about it first to his mother then the world?

If it were a regular citizen I'd give them some community service and make them take a few AA classes.

Ryan having a PR sensitive job will probably get suspended by whatever swimming agency and have to pay some restitution.

I'd vote for a year suspension and having to do a few months community service myself. He may (or may not now I suppose) have more access to money than the average man but we all get equally annoyed by community service. Maybe make it cleaning up the grounds of the Brazilian Embassy or working to do something useful for Brazil somehow. Sending him back to Brazil to clean along roadways for a month would be nice but I'm not sure realistic.
Slap them with a big ol' fine and have him do a public apology or something. I wouldn't want to see them jailed on foreign soil.

And don't let Lochte do the talking lol

He committed no crime in the US that I am aware of so the proper punishment is nothing at all.

He brought scandal to the Olympics' host country to cover his own ass.

For that he and the three with him should be blocked from international competitions for 5 years.

When I was in the service and stationed in Germany, one of my buddies got on the zug (the train) and sat in the first class section. His ticket was coach. The conductor told him to leave and he didn't know what the conductor was saying. So the police were called and he was told to leave and he didn't understand them and showed them his ticket. Then they beat the XXXX out of him. I was the driver, along with the captain who had to go pick him up at the hospital. Even then, he didn't understand what happened. After all, trains here don't have first class and coach. The battalion Col. had to get involved. Once it was explained the guy spoke no German, and the police spoke no English, it was all eventually dropped. No one was charged with anything and his injuries weren't permanent.
It seems Ryan is guilty of shenanigans, but it's not always the fault of the American.

When I was in the service and stationed in Germany, one of my buddies got on the zug (the train) and sat in the first class section. His ticket was coach. The conductor told him to leave and he didn't know what the conductor was saying. So the police were called and he was told to leave and he didn't understand them and showed them his ticket. Then they beat the XXXX out of him. I was the driver, along with the captain who had to go pick him up at the hospital. Even then, he didn't understand what happened. After all, trains here don't have first class and coach. The battalion Col. had to get involved. Once it was explained the guy spoke no German, and the police spoke no English, it was all eventually dropped. No one was charged with anything and his injuries weren't permanent.
It seems Ryan is guilty of shenanigans, but it's not always the fault of the American.

The German police don't beat you for nothing. Your story has a lot of holes in it.

"What is the right punishment for that fool of a swimmer?"
Nothing. They had a good time, got wasted to wind down after the tension and stress. He probably doesn't remember half of it what happened. He perceived the security guy as a bum or store clerk or something since they wore those weird shirts as the store clerks did according to the video. They demanded money for some alleged damage in the bathroom, he thought they were shaken down. All in all nothing punishment wise. They messed it up a bit but didn't we all one time or the other?

Rdean must have found a quote somewhere from Ryan stating that he was a Democrat. "Democrat protection mode , activate"

Ryan should give a press conferrer and just say "I short circuited, I didn't intent to break the law, MOVE ON!!!"

He committed no crime in the US that I am aware of so the proper punishment is nothing at all.

I don't think a U.S. jurisdiction would be the one levying the punishment. Did I miss something or was it specified that in Mr. Lochte's case, a U.S. organization should/would be the one that exacts the penalty? The international nature of the circumstances mean that Brazil has a say in the matter. Neither the U.S. section of the Olympic village nor merely being an Olympian grants one diplomatic immunity. Moreover, even if it did, one is yet obliged to follow the laws of the foreign nation while in the foreign nation. Diplomatic immunity, practically speaking, provides immunity from prosecution and sentencing; it does not provide an imprimatur or the nihil obstat to violate a country's laws.

After all, trains here don't have first class and coach.

Some do.
Amtrak - Experience - Onboard - Seating Accommodations

The abundance of first class accommodations on U.S. trains has nothing to do with what's available overseas. When folks come to the U.S., they are expected to adhere to the rules in place here, not act as though the rules where they are from are also the rules in the U.S. That expectation is reciprocal when we travel to other countries.

Ignorance is no excuse for failing to adhere to the rules of the place in which one finds oneself. If it were, one could do pretty much anything one wants in any locality other than one's home town and claim that one didn't know one's actions were prohibited. What is, in the U.S. at least, quite often a valid excuse is not intending to violate a rule. That said, ignorance and intent are not the same things; it is quite possible to not know a prohibition exists yet intend to act in a way that does indeed violate the prohibition. For instance, one may not know it's illegal to drive at 90 mph, but one can very well intend to drive at 90 mph.

Thank you Tony for correcting rderp as I was going to, but you done it a lot nicer way than I would have...

As for chorine Boy he is destined to a job either in a Pool Supply Store or baby sitting (teaching swimming) to over privileged spoiled brats...

Last edited:

I agree. The United States has no jurisdiction over crimes committed in a foreign county and Brazil will not be able to have him extradited because his conduct would be a misdemeanor.

As far as his medals go, I have never heard of an Olympic athlete being stripped of a medal for conduct which occurred after the event.

Unfortunately for Lochte, he will most likely lose a lot of money. Major companies will not pay millions for endorsements from an athlete who has a tarnished reputation. Lochte has no fear of the criminal courts in either country, but the court of public opinion will punish him in a way he will never forget.

The Olympics has produced a number of outstanding athletes who will no doubt cash in on their talents and personalities. Simone Biles and Katie Ledecky deserve all the good that comes their way. There is even one foreigner who might get his picture on a Wheaties box: Usain Bolt. The fastest man in the world with a last name of Bolt is almost too good to be true. Throw in his contagious smile and it's an ad-man's dream. Deserving people will prosper and Lochte will be left to think of what might have been.

All in all it seems fair to me.

Slap them with a big ol' fine and have him do a public apology or something. I wouldn't want to see them jailed on foreign soil.

And don't let Lochte do the talking lol

i actually agree with you. but seems his community service should be in Rio.

i'm pretty sure the IOC can impose a penalty. :rolleyes:

and it also seems that Locate has made some restitution already and apologized which is probably pretty much all that Brazil wants.

also, people can be extradited for criminal acts committed in another country. they don't get tried here...they get tried *there*. it isn't likely that brazil is going to ask that Lochte be extradited though.

"In evaluating an extradition request like this from Brazil, our federal courts would determine whether: (1) the offenses charged are extraditable; (2) the requirement of "double criminality" is satisfied; (3) there is probable cause to believe the individual committed the offenses charged.
First, depending on the charges brought, it's possible that making a false report might be "extraditable." These crimes are listed or defined by the treaty between Brazil and the United States."

Can Brazil get Ryan Lochte extradited? - CNN.com

you realize the US has relationships with other countries and we don't just say "screw you" to countries with which we have treaties.

They have been punished enough by the bad PR that will cost them lots of $$$.

"What is the right punishment for that fool of a swimmer?"
Nothing. They had a good time, got wasted to wind down after the tension and stress. He probably doesn't remember half of it what happened. He perceived the security guy as a bum or store clerk or something since they wore those weird shirts as the store clerks did according to the video. They demanded money for some alleged damage in the bathroom, he thought they were shaken down. All in all nothing punishment wise. They messed it up a bit but didn't we all one time or the other?

IOW, "He was drunk, so it doesn't count." The excuse for every DUI fatality ever.

Forum List

Back