What is the reccuring theme of this forum?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CharlestonChad, Jun 16, 2008.

1. CharlestonChad

CharlestonChad Baller Deluxe

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I've noticed since I've been posting here, one main theme with the types of posts. It comes down to this, IMO. We, posters, are more concerned about putting down each other and labelling other beliefs, than we are with understanding and rationalizing our own beliefs. The posters who consider themselves liberals and conservatives, spend most of their/our time trying to define the beliefs of the others in a negative light. We consistantly forget that everyone on this board is just posting out of their concern for the direction of our country. We all want to be prosperious and happy, but we have different ideas of how to get to that point. I think once we can all accept that neither liberals or conservatives are the bad guy, this forum will be able to hold discussion elevated enough to actually inform someone.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. Anguille

Anguille Bane of the Urbane

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    Are you putting us down for putting each other down? :tomato::tomato:

3. CharlestonChad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Nope, just calling for change. I admitted several times in the paragraph of my own downfalls.

4. Abelian Sea

Abelian Sea o_O

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I don't think it's a matter of concern so much ease of posting and standard human emotional reactions. It's much easier to criticize than construct, and seeing someone confidently/arrogantly post something you think/know is wrong is aggravating enough to get the blood flowing and fingers moving. Then egos get involved and you get little wars.

So what happens is, substantive posts get made, then criticisms are given, then things slowly become personal and if it goes on too long the thread likely degenerates into a useless duel. It's a natural process of decay.

This is not all bad; a certain amount of vitriol is productive in that motivates people to state positions and defend them as best they can. The resulting discussions may not be "elevated," but they are likely to illuminate underlying points from multiple perspectives, so the intrepid and discerning reader can indeed benefit from them. Given what that reader is paying for the material, that isn't a bad deal.

btw, you, personally, are clearly a dimwit, as I can tell from my ability to discern your whole worldview and belief system from your one post :p

5. CharlestonChad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128

People get defensive when summed up to a single title like neocon or lib. That's how most of the flame wars start. The theme is for people to label each other. In the end, I doubt many people will sign off of this forum with a changed view of the world or enlightened mind other than knowledge of others being stupid.

6. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,887
    That may be true, but I for one have changed my views on subjects like gun control and racism simply by doing my best to look through the flames and figure out where people are coming from.

7. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    Belt up you ponce.

8. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,932

:rofl:

Holy Shit! This from the guy that voted in the partisan opinion poll that Republicans want to destroy America! bwhahahahahahahaha!

9. CharlestonChad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    :lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Trolls just like to yell theater in a crowded fire.

They're often hard to ignore.