What is the reccuring theme of this forum?

CharlestonChad

Baller Deluxe
Jul 2, 2006
Charleston, SC
I've noticed since I've been posting here, one main theme with the types of posts. It comes down to this, IMO. We, posters, are more concerned about putting down each other and labelling other beliefs, than we are with understanding and rationalizing our own beliefs. The posters who consider themselves liberals and conservatives, spend most of their/our time trying to define the beliefs of the others in a negative light. We consistantly forget that everyone on this board is just posting out of their concern for the direction of our country. We all want to be prosperious and happy, but we have different ideas of how to get to that point. I think once we can all accept that neither liberals or conservatives are the bad guy, this forum will be able to hold discussion elevated enough to actually inform someone.

Last edited:
I've noticed since I've been posting here, one main theme with the types of posts. It comes down to this, IMO. We, posters, are more concerned about putting down each other and labelling other beliefs, than we are with understanding and rationalizing our own beliefs. The posters who consider themselves liberals and conservatives, spend most of their/our time trying to define the beliefs of the others in a negative light. We consistantly forget that everyone on this board is just posting out of their concern for the direction of our country. We all want to be prosperious and happy, but we have different ideas of how to get to that point. I think once we can all accept that neither liberals or conservatives are the bad guy, this forum will be able to hold discussion elevated enough to actual inform someone.

Are you putting us down for putting each other down? :tomato::tomato:

We, posters, are more concerned about putting down each other and labelling other beliefs, than we are with understanding and rationalizing our own beliefs.

I don't think it's a matter of concern so much ease of posting and standard human emotional reactions. It's much easier to criticize than construct, and seeing someone confidently/arrogantly post something you think/know is wrong is aggravating enough to get the blood flowing and fingers moving. Then egos get involved and you get little wars.

So what happens is, substantive posts get made, then criticisms are given, then things slowly become personal and if it goes on too long the thread likely degenerates into a useless duel. It's a natural process of decay.

This is not all bad; a certain amount of vitriol is productive in that motivates people to state positions and defend them as best they can. The resulting discussions may not be "elevated," but they are likely to illuminate underlying points from multiple perspectives, so the intrepid and discerning reader can indeed benefit from them. Given what that reader is paying for the material, that isn't a bad deal.

btw, you, personally, are clearly a dimwit, as I can tell from my ability to discern your whole worldview and belief system from your one post :p

I don't think it's a matter of concern so much ease of posting and standard human emotional reactions. It's much easier to criticize than construct, and seeing someone confidently/arrogantly post something you think/know is wrong is aggravating enough to get the blood flowing and fingers moving. Then egos get involved and you get little wars.

So what happens is, substantive posts get made, then criticisms are given, then things slowly become personal and if it goes on too long the thread likely degenerates into a useless duel. It's a natural process of decay.

This is not all bad; a certain amount of vitriol is productive in that motivates people to state positions and defend them as best they can. The resulting discussions may not be "elevated," but they are likely to illuminate underlying points from multiple perspectives, so the intrepid and discerning reader can indeed benefit from them. Given what that reader is paying for the material, that isn't a bad deal.

btw, you, personally, are clearly a dimwit, as I can tell from my ability to discern your whole worldview and belief system from your one post :p

People get defensive when summed up to a single title like neocon or lib. That's how most of the flame wars start. The theme is for people to label each other. In the end, I doubt many people will sign off of this forum with a changed view of the world or enlightened mind other than knowledge of others being stupid.

People get defensive when summed up to a single title like neocon or lib. That's how most of the flame wars start. The theme is for people to label each other. In the end, I doubt many people will sign off of this forum with a changed view of the world or enlightened mind other than knowledge of others being stupid.

That may be true, but I for one have changed my views on subjects like gun control and racism simply by doing my best to look through the flames and figure out where people are coming from.

I've noticed since I've been posting here, one main theme with the types of posts. It comes down to this, IMO. We, posters, are more concerned about putting down each other and labelling other beliefs, than we are with understanding and rationalizing our own beliefs. The posters who consider themselves liberals and conservatives, spend most of their/our time trying to define the beliefs of the others in a negative light. We consistantly forget that everyone on this board is just posting out of their concern for the direction of our country. We all want to be prosperious and happy, but we have different ideas of how to get to that point. I think once we can all accept that neither liberals or conservatives are the bad guy, this forum will be able to hold discussion elevated enough to actually inform someone.

Belt up you ponce.

:rofl:

Holy Shit! This from the guy that voted in the partisan opinion poll that Republicans want to destroy America! bwhahahahahahahaha!

I think once we can all accept that neither liberals or conservatives are the bad guy, this forum will be able to hold discussion elevated enough to actually inform someone.

Trolls just like to yell theater in a crowded fire.

They're often hard to ignore.

hmmmm... change eh....?

Originally Posted by CharlestonChad
I had to vote for the republicans. You see, the terrorists hate America, and republicans hate terrorists. The old saying goes, Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Republicans keep America close in their hearts, unlike democrats, therefore, Republicans hate America.
If this is change, I can live without it...

Crap... now I am dissing you ... I guess I am not an agent of change either...

Nope, just calling for change. I admitted several times in the paragraph of my own downfalls.

Based on a conversation you and I had a couple of months ago, I created a subform that would basically be moderated debate, with rules strictly enforced.

You did one of your vanishing acts again while a few others used it as the newest place to play their little games.

If you are going to call for something, be sure you want to stay around to participate. I have no problem with providing it, IF it's going to be used, and used for what it's intended.

Your a fuckin narcissist. People come on here to vent. Anyone who ACTUALLY believes they can change another's mind is a fuckin fool.

Oh and by the way....Fighting is cool. At least in this format..It means that people actually give a damn!

Based on a conversation you and I had a couple of months ago, I created a subform that would basically be moderated debate, with rules strictly enforced.

You did one of your vanishing acts again while a few others used it as the newest place to play their little games.

If you are going to call for something, be sure you want to stay around to participate. I have no problem with providing it, IF it's going to be used, and used for what it's intended.

Yeah, I tend to vanish from internet forums when I have shit to do. I didn't even know you made a specific forum. Anyways, I wasn't talking about a specific forum. I'm talking about the whole messageboard.

Anyone who ACTUALLY believes they can change another's mind is a fuckin fool.

My mind has been changed a couple of time from reading other people's thoughts and logic about certain subjects.

Not on this board, yet, but on others.

I am more sympathetic to gun owners and the theory that the second amendment gives us the RIGHT to own guns than I once was, for example.

Likewise I changed my mind about the RIGHT of states to suceed from the union because of someone's in depth exploration of that thorney issue.

I once thought that the states really did have that right, but the facts brought to my attention and logic which this particular poster employed convinced me that the intention of the founding fathers was to create a union of states in perpetuity.

So yes, my mind can be changed by the discussions and thoughts of others in places like this.

Not often, but it is possible.

I visit boards pretty much to gage the opinions of those pros and cons. Maybe someone else has a different spin or point of view on an issue or two that concerns me.. Its also interesting to catch the occasional mental freakshow as well...

they_live_quote.jpg

i've changed my mind because of a messageboard. the second Amendment comes to mind.

My mind has been changed a couple of time from reading other people's thoughts and logic about certain subjects.

Not on this board, yet, but on others.

I am more sympathetic to gun owners and the theory that the second amendment gives us the RIGHT to own guns than I once was, for example.

Likewise I changed my mind about the RIGHT of states to suceed from the union because of someone's in depth exploration of that thorney issue.

I once thought that the states really did have that right, but the facts brought to my attention and logic which this particular poster employed convinced me that the intention of the founding fathers was to create a union of states in perpetuity.

So yes, my mind can be changed by the discussions and thoughts of others in places like this.

Not often, but it is possible.

I used to think no one's mind could be changed by something read on a message board, till I read your post and changed my mind about that. :redface:

I used to think no one's mind could be changed by something read on a message board, till I read your post and changed my mind about that.

See?

I rest my case.

Yeah, I tend to vanish from internet forums when I have shit to do. I didn't even know you made a specific forum. Anyways, I wasn't talking about a specific forum. I'm talking about the whole messageboard.

I realize that, but you can't change the nature of the beast. The more freedom of speech that is allowed, the more unruly the crowd. I try to stay a step ahead of anarchy.

You cannot dictate a specific climate without enforcing it. People are not going to willingly accept change. It's not in our nature to, and it is inherent in Americans especially to rebel against authority. I've got all of 3 rules here I enforce religiously and damned if I don't ALWAYS have someone or two all indignant over them and pushing the limit if not flat-out crossing the line.

While I understand your desire, it's kind of a cake and eat it too thing.

Forum List

Back