What is the purpose of insurance?

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
What is the purpose of insurance? Why do people have insurance?
From Dictionary.com
1. the act, system, or business of insuring property, life, one's person, etc., against loss or harm arising in specified contingencies, as fire, accident, death, disablement, or the like, in consideration of a payment proportionate to the risk involved.
2. coverage by contract in which one party agrees to indemnify or reimburse another for loss that occurs under the terms of the contract.

Let me start with Life Insurance.
One purchases life insurance to financially protect loved ones if one’s life was lost and the subsequent loss of income would create a financial hardship for the survivors. For example, if a spouse (or spouse and children) couldn’t afford to live if their husband or wife were to die and that income was lost for the household. Single people with no dependents typically don’t have life insurance, or if they do, it is a minimal amount. Maybe to cover burial expenses. Life insurance isn’t there to protect the holder of the policy, it is there to protect the family members if a catastrophic event were to happen to the holder of the policy.

Disability Insurance is next.
In many ways, short and long term disability insurance is similar to life insurance in that it is there to protect the dependents (family) from loss of income should one become disabled and no longer able to provide financially for the family. It is different in that it also protects the holder of such an insurance policy financially for their personal loss of income. Disability insurance is purchased to protect oneself and ones family from catastrophic loss of income. Disability insurance is not there to protect one if they miss a few days at work because they got flu.

Home owners insurance, renters insurance and auto insurance.
I’ll lump all three of these together because they all serve the same purpose. One purchases insurance of this type to protect themselves against loss of property. Primarily their own property, but with auto insurance the added protection of not having to replace another person’s property if you caused a wreck. These types of insurance also have a pre-determined deductible (out of pocket expense) that one feels they can afford. That amount is different for the house and car and different for the individual. For example, I may assume affordable risk (out of pocket expense) of $500 for my auto insurance and you may assume affordable risk (out of pocket expense) of $250. All other things being equal, my auto insurance policy will cost less than yours because I take on the extra risk/expenditure. Again, this insurance is purchased to protect one against a catastrophic loss. Home owners/renters insurance isn’t for carpet cleaning and auto insurance isn’t for oil changes.

Here is Health Insurance.
Most medical insurance covers a percentage of everything. Got the flu, an office visit to your doctor costs $120 but your co-pay is $20. Time for your annual physical, pay $20 for a $200 service. Accidentally break your finger and visit the ER, insurance pays 80% of that $1500 in medical care. There is nothing catastrophic about a $120 to $200 office visit, pay the bill. $1500 in ER may or may not be catastrophic depending upon ones financial situation.

My Thoughts
For some reason (unknown to me), many people have come to the opinion that health insurance should be involved in all health care expenses. They want their health insurance to help pay for a few stitches if they accidentally cut themselves. They want their health insurance to pay for their annual physical. Those are not catastrophic events. One wouldn’t expect their auto insurance to pay for a flat tire or an oil change. Why is minor and routine medical service considered differently when it comes to insurance? (scroll back up for definition of insurance) The purpose of insurance is to protect one against catastrophic loss, not to provide maintenance.
When it comes to medical insurance, I want it to be more like my auto and homeowners insurance. Let me decide how much I am willing to pay in deductible, cover 100% beyond my deductible, and set the rates accordingly.

Insurance is something that covers the risk of loss you are not able to bear. That is the basic definition of insurance.
I can afford to pay $100 for a new tire if it blows out. I dont need to pay for blown tire insurance. I can afford to pay $5,000 in case my car runs into my neighbor's house. I cannot afford to pay $1M in case my car runs into a school bus and kills a kid. I have insurance to cover the latter event, not the former.
But unfortunately many people think "insurance=free". It doesn't. You pay for all these things one way or another.
I knew one woman once who had a daughter who was maybe 15 of 16. She had her get a mammogram every year. That is absurd. No teenaged girl needs a mammogram every year just as a screen. I would bet her insruance paid for the procedure so she perceived it as "free" so why not? Had she had to pay the 1k or whatever it costs out of pocket I am pretty sure she would not be so quick to sign up for it.

Insurance is, at its heart, the assessment of risk. The sole purpose of an insurance company is to assess your risk and then charge you based off of that risk in order to pool resources to pay for catastrophic occurrences.

The really sad part is that the ACA takes that role away meaning that health insurance companies have zero purpose for existence now. Why this is acceptable to some is completely beyond me, nothing would make less sense than what Obamacare has done to the ‘insurance’ industry in healthcare.

Insurance is something you hope you never have to use. That's what you pay for, vice paying for everything.

ACA is just a massive wealth redistribution scheme. Plain and simple

-Geaux

Forum List

Back