What is the purpose of fiscal paradises?

CultureCitizen

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2013
Other than the self evident purpose of serving as centers for tax evasion and money laundering.

And more importantly why are they allowed to exist.

Who has the authority to keep them from existing?

Ya know, some countries realize that rich people are actually beneficial to a society.
Money on deposit in a Caribbean paradise can be, in turn, lent to small businesses that will provide jobs as long as government doesn't spend it on worthless social programs first.

Ya know, some countries realize that rich people are actually beneficial to a society.
Money on deposit in a Caribbean paradise can be, in turn, lent to small businesses that will provide jobs as long as government doesn't spend it on worthless social programs first.
From existing ... no one I guess.
From banning financial transactions with them : every single nation.

Drug dealers, human traffickers, weapon dealers , and people who have become rich through legitimate means, they all love fiscal paradises. Not every rich is a honest man.

I can't see how anyone could restrict my right to travel to, let's say Barbados and open a bank or brokerage account with my own money.

From Kent V Dulles SCOTUS 1958:

"The right to travel is a part of the 'liberty' of which the citizen cannot be deprived without due process of law under the Fifth Amendment. If that "liberty" is to be regulated, it must be pursuant to the law-making functions of the Congress. . . . . Freedom of movement across frontiers in either direction, and inside frontiers as well, was a part of our heritage. Travel abroad, like travel within the country, . . . may be as close to the heart of the individual as the choice of what he eats, or wears, or reads. Freedom of movement is basic in our scheme of values."

Drug dealers, human traffickers, weapon dealers , and people who have become rich through legitimate means, they all love fiscal paradises. Not every rich is a honest man.
Does the fact not every rich man is an honest man truly have any bearing on the argument? Do we have the right as a country to destroy another country because we do not like it's tax system?

I can't see how anyone could restrict my right to travel to, let's say Barbados and open a bank or brokerage account with my own money.

"The right to travel is a part of the 'liberty' of which the citizen cannot be deprived without due process of law under the Fifth Amendment. If that "liberty" is to be regulated, it must be pursuant to the law-making functions of the Congress. . . . . Freedom of movement across frontiers in either direction, and inside frontiers as well, was a part of our heritage. Travel abroad, like travel within the country, . . . may be as close to the heart of the individual as the choice of what he eats, or wears, or reads. Freedom of movement is basic in our scheme of values."
Fine, so far so good. But then how would you transfer your money elsewhere. I mean , it's not like there's any real investment going in Barbados. Is there? Most of the money gets ther through wire. The amount of money a citizen can transfer using cash or gold is rather limited.

Does the fact not every rich man is an honest man truly have any bearing on the argument? Do we have the right as a country to destroy another country because we do not like it's tax system?

Or political system fo that matter ? If you want a historical answer to that question the answer would be YES !.

But rather than destroy , it would be better to ban ... ore more likely to put a tax on every single transaction made with a fiscal paradise.

Or political system fo that matter ? If you want a historical answer to that question the answer would be YES !.

But rather than destroy , it would be better to ban ... ore more likely to put a tax on every single transaction made with a fiscal paradise.
Okay, so now you suggest STEALING through a MANDATED TAX. Who are you giving this STOLEN wealth to?

Okay, so now you suggest STEALING through a MANDATED TAX. Who are you giving this STOLEN wealth to?

Stealing? Oh , taxing = stealing ? Hmmm kind of.
Ok , let's put it this way . You know as a sure fact that if you go through a certain street a gang will steal your money.
So what do you do ? Would you cross that street or would rather go through the aforementioned street?

Mind you , every single time you purchase a good or service you get stolen . No one makes a big fuzz about it.

The three main business in the world are weapons, drugs and human trafficking. Guess where all that money gets cleaned? But apparently you have no problem supporting the infrastructure for these fine entrepreneurs.

Fine, so far so good. But then how would you transfer your money elsewhere. I mean , it's not like there's any real investment going in Barbados. Is there? Most of the money gets ther through wire. The amount of money a citizen can transfer using cash or gold is rather limited.
Huh????? No real investment in Barbados?
Gets there through wire? so what? It gets there
And show me how my ability to transfer gold or cash is somehow limited.

You probably should restrict your threads to subjects you know something about.

Stealing? Oh , taxing = stealing ? Hmmm kind of.
Ok , let's put it this way . You know as a sure fact that if you go through a certain street a gang will steal your money.
So what do you do ? Would you cross that street or would rather go through the aforementioned street?

Mind you , every single time you purchase a good or service you get stolen . No one makes a big fuzz about it.

The three main business in the world are weapons, drugs and human trafficking. Guess where all that money gets cleaned? But apparently you have no problem supporting the infrastructure for these fine entrepreneurs.
Are you 7?

Other than the self evident purpose of serving as centers for tax evasion and money laundering.

they are allowed to exist to attract businesses, create jobs, and save lives.
A child would know that.

They are supply-side havens,i.e., libs dont interfere and people get jobs and eat.

Just as long as you file the required disclosures of foreign bank accounts and investments each year. The penalties are generally 50%--100% of the value of the accounts with no "good faith" exception.

Just as long as you file the required disclosures of foreign bank accounts and investments each year. The penalties are generally 50%--100% of the value of the accounts with no "good faith" exception.

Yes, if you don't do what the lib govt says they come after you with guns. And, libs are continuously devising new things you must do in order to avoid their guns. There is no end to violence when libs are involved.

A child would know that.

They are supply-side havens,i.e., libs dont interfere and people get jobs and eat.
Oh sure Ed, such nice locations have been widely used by notable figures as Sadam Hussein, Idi Amin, the Bin Laden family as well as the mexican and columbian cartels , just to name some of the notable business and job creators.

Due to the opacity of those paradises it is very hard to track the dirty money that comes from illicit activities.

A child would know that.

Oh sure Ed, such nice locations have been widely used by notable figures as Sadam Hussein, Idi Amin, the Bin Laden family as well as the mexican and columbian cartels , just to name some of the notable business and job creators.

Due to the opacity of those paradises it is very hard to track the dirty money that comes from illicit activities.

What a surprise, the low IQ lib culture Nazi has found yet another reason to centralize power in liberal Washington. Without the Snowden revelations we would have no idea of the extent of liberal spying on Americans. Why not move to Cuba where you belong before it turns capitalist and people start getting rich.

Hope you're not a gun or boat owner. Both are extremely threatening to a govt with a monopoly on the violence you love so much.

What a surprise, the low IQ lib culture Nazi has found yet another reason to centralize power in liberal Washington. Without the Snowden revelations we would have no idea of the extent of liberal spying on Americans. Why not move to Cuba where you belong before it turns capitalist and people start getting rich.

Hope you're not a gun or boat owner. Both are extremely threatening to a govt with a monopoly on the violence you love so much.
Say Ed, how exactly do you propose that dirty money is tracked ? Once it gets to a fiscal paradise it becomes extremely hard to track.
While I do not like tax evassion, the case for money laundering is a lot stronger against fiscal paradises.
They want to have a zero tax rate on foreign companies, fine. But, they want to keep accounts secret and untrackable, in this case I do have a very serious objection to fiscal paradises.

they want to keep accounts secret and untrackable, .
its very important that your Nazi lib big brother friends keep track of everything isn't it? Freedom means nothing to a liberal. You don't belong in America. As a typical liberal you simply lack the IQ to understand your own country and what made it the greatest in human history by far..

Forum List

Back