What Is The Purpose For These People Showing Up

"PHOENIX — Gun-rights advocates are displaying their firearms near the president again, this time with a military-style rifle slung over one man's shoulder in downtown Phoenix.

The man with an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle was among about a dozen people carrying guns outside the convention center where President Barack Obama spoke Monday."

Nodog,
If this is your response to my question then it does indeed answer it. A semi-automatic rifle, no matter it's appearence, is not an "assault rifle". The only thing that defines an assault rifle is the ability to switch it's rate of fire from semi to full auto with a mounted selector switch.

"PHOENIX — Gun-rights advocates are displaying their firearms near the president again, this time with a military-style rifle slung over one man's shoulder in downtown Phoenix.

The man with an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle was among about a dozen people carrying guns outside the convention center where President Barack Obama spoke Monday."

Nodog,
If this is your response to my question then it does indeed answer it. A semi-automatic rifle, no matter it's appearence, is not an "assault rifle". The only thing that defines an assault rifle is the ability to switch it's rate of fire from semi to full auto with a mounted selector switch.

You are incorrect

Mirriam webster:
Main Entry: assault rifle
Function: noun
Date: 1972
: any of various automatic or semiautomatic rifles with large capacity magazines designed for military use

The free dictionary:

Noun 1. assault rifle - any of the automatic rifles or semiautomatic rifles with large magazines designed for military use

Definition of Assault rifle
Babylon English-English

semi-automatic rifle, rifle used by infantry

Dictionary dot com

assault rifle 
Use assault rifle in a Sentence
–noun 1. a military rifle capable of both automatic and semiautomatic fire, utilizing an intermediate-power cartridge.
2. a nonmilitary weapon modeled on the military assault rifle, usu. modified to allow only semiautomatic fire.

Last edited:

Nodog,

You are incorrect

OK, point out how.

Nodog,

You are incorrect

OK, point out how.

Mirriam webster:
: any of various automatic or semiautomatic rifles with large capacity magazines designed for military use

The free dictionary:

Noun 1. assault rifle - any of the automatic rifles or semiautomatic rifles with large magazines designed for military use

Babylon English-English

Dictionary dot com

assault rifle 
–noun 1. a military rifle capable of both automatic and semiautomatic fire, utilizing an intermediate-power cartridge.
2. a nonmilitary weapon modeled on the military assault rifle, usu. modified to allow only semiautomatic fire.

rubberband_machine_gun.jpg

You are incorrect

OK, point out how.

Mirriam webster:

The free dictionary:

Babylon English-English

Dictionary dot com

assault rifle 

Thanks, I'll have to double check the dates of definition. I may be mistaken but I believe the first real usage (and original description) was based on the MP44 and all resultant types of selective fire weapons. The inclusion of purely semi auto to that list may have come as a result of cultural usage, not true description.

Another gun thread?

Ok, let's backtrack. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's morally right.

Wars have been fought by countries who kept arms at each others' borders just because increased frequency of possibility of harm ups the chances of actual harm.

So you want to make the point that guns are our 2nd amendment right. That's great. I'm certainly not someone who wants to take them away. As I said in the other thread I've got 12 guns (at least, I've literally lost count) and have taught my wife to use a handgun as well.

But there's a difference in exercising a right to defend it and exercising it under the premise of defending it, when your real goal is to provocatively bait people at the expense of upping the risk to the president.

Yes, this is baiting. You know bringing the gun will stir people up. You do it anyway just to show you can and perhaps to bring out the crazy in the other side. Is this really how you treat the office of the president? Wow.
Morally?

There is nothing morally wrong with gun ownership or even carrying a gun. Morality comes into play only when you misuse that weapon. Carrying a weapon at a demonstration is not morally wrong. Stupid maybe, but morality has nothing to do with it.

Are you being purposefully obtuse or just dense by nature?

I never said owing a gun was morally wrong. I said I had guns. Guess you like skipping that part.

What I said was that increasing the risk to the president simply to make your point that gun ownership is legal, is morally repugnant.

Don't mischaracterize me. You'll lose every time.
I haven't mischaracterized you in any way shape or form. I responded to an assinine remark about it being immoral to carry a gun to a protest.

And for your edification. This isn't about winning or losing.

that's what i'm saying, if you want to ban guns, you may as well ban cars. and cigarettes are all but banned. what happened to freedom of choice? japan, spain, italy, france and greece all have more smokers per capita than the US and have longer life expectancy

All those countries have gun control. That is why they live longer even though they smoke their guts out.

Gun control is not banning guns. We have car control, you need to be trained and proven competent before you can drive. There are controls on the types of cars. They must be safe.

The biggest problem in our society is there are no controls as to who can have children. Too many unqualified individuals are having kids and relying on the government to raise them. Or they do such a bad job the children grow up to not be productive members of society.

We all want freedom but it assumes responsibility. Too many irresponsible people drive cars, own guns and have children.
Gun control has no bearing on life expectancy in any nation on the planet. And if you really wanted to look into it, you'd find that those nations that ban guns outright usually turn into dictatorships and the population loses their individual freedoms.

I thought it was pretty funny that these guys were armed like Lara Croft on a tomb raid. I guess they wish they could be her......or that their penis' were larger than they are. So sad. I think I will exercise my right to bear a tire iron the next time I go to the park. I have to make a nice sheath for it first I guess, accessories are key.:cuckoo:

They're simply practicing their rights.

Abortion is a right in the US. It doen't mean you practice it.
The vast majority of women who support a woman's right to an abortion never have one.

There are legitimate purpose for guns and there are wackos who wear them and brandish them to intimidate. They are usually very freightened and very weak people.

an abortion is not a firearm, dick for brains

the weak frightened people are those who fear their neighbors because they choose not to be a sheep like you.

stay out of AZ

I will be in Scottsdale next week. I will be looking for a guy wearing a ninja mask carrying a gun.

Abortion is a right in the US. It doen't mean you practice it.
The vast majority of women who support a woman's right to an abortion never have one.

There are legitimate purpose for guns and there are wackos who wear them and brandish them to intimidate. They are usually very freightened and very weak people.

an abortion is not a firearm, dick for brains

the weak frightened people are those who fear their neighbors because they choose not to be a sheep like you.

stay out of AZ

I will be in Scottsdale next week. I will be looking for a guy wearing a ninja mask carrying a gun.

people with guns will walk right past you and you wont even notice

OK, point out how.

Mirriam webster:

The free dictionary:

Babylon English-English

Dictionary dot com

assault rifle 

Thanks, I'll have to double check the dates of definition. I may be mistaken but I believe the first real usage (and original description) was based on the MP44 and all resultant types of selective fire weapons. The inclusion of purely semi auto to that list may have come as a result of cultural usage, not true description.

Yes, useage does sometimes change over time.

A semi-automatic rifle, no matter it's appearence, is not an "assault rifle". The only thing that defines an assault rifle is the ability to switch it's rate of fire from semi to full auto with a mounted selector switch.

youre pretty much right, he is a dick and doesnt know what the fuck hes talking about. these rifles are "tactical" rifles, not "assault" weapons. :)

here ya go

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db-2eHLEnno]YouTube - The truth about semi-automatic firearms[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrohcXlzEQQ]YouTube - NSSF Journalist Seminar[/ame]

Fatalitiy - check the definitions. I understand a lot of guns rights folks have been trying to change the definition, in order to exempt semi-automatic from assault rifle bans. You can look it up in any dictionary. The dozen or so I checked all carried a very consistent definition of assault rifle that does include semi-automatic.

1) Just because someone labels their video "the truth about ...." is no indication of truth.

2) When you have to stoop to personal insults and name-calling, your argument can't be very good.

Fatalitiy - check the definitions. I understand a lot of guns rights folks have been trying to change the definition, in order to exempt semi-automatic from assault rifle bans. You can look it up in any dictionary. The dozen or so I checked all carried a very consistent definition of assault rifle that does include semi-automatic.

1) Just because someone labels their video "the truth about ...." is no indication of truth.

2) When you have to stoop to personal insults and name-calling, your argument can't be very good.

dictionary definition of "asault rifle" = blah blah blah bullshit

you dont know jack

dictionary definition of "asault rifle" = blah blah blah bullshit

OK, you can reject any definitions you choose. But accurate and effective communications demand that we all generally accept a uniform set of definitions. You can keep trying to get everyone else to accept your alternative definitions if you like, but until you suceed, the universally accepted definitions apply.

(I might not know jack, but I know what an assault rifle is)

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back