What is the proper method of dealing with crowd control ...

Maybe these crowds don't need to be controlled? The trouble only seems to start when the Gestapo arrives to "control" the crowd. Maybe the Government/Police don't need to control the people all the time? Hey,now there's an idea. Keep the Police away from protesters at a good distance and there will be peace.

Maybe these crowds don't need to be controlled? The trouble only seems to start when the Gestapo arrives to "control" the crowd. Maybe the Government/Police don't need to control the people all the time? Hey,now there's an idea. Keep the Police away from protesters at a good distance and there will be peace.

What a great idea. You've finally brought me around. I'm totally sold. Law enforcement sucks!!!!!!

Strike all laws from the books.

Murder and mayhem now fair game. Booyah!

What a great idea. You've finally brought me around. I'm totally sold. Law enforcement sucks!!!!!!

I didn't say that. And obviously you know that. Why is it so hard to accept the notion that the Government/Police don't need to control the People all the time? I'm always so amazed so few can accept that. It's like a lifelong indoctrination process has kept so many Americans from seeing reality. We don't always have to be controlled. Seriously,it's true.

Community policing v. Paramilitary policing

Look it up before you have another attack, Amelia.

I didn't say that. And obviously you know that. Why is it so hard to accept the notion that the Government/Police don't need to control the People all the time? I'm always so amazed so few can accept that. It's like a lifelong indoctrination process has kept so many Americans from seeing reality. We don't always have to be controlled. Seriously,it's true.

No, I'm on board with you all the way. :thup:

Tuberculosis rocks!

We'll save so much money firing all cops and public health officials.

Of course ... then they'll be out of work and that will be a drag.

Hmmm ... Oh well .... they can come over to my house and go with us on our Saturday night looting spree.

Amelia is setting up an entire army of straw men tonight.

The entire OWS movement is nothing but people with diseases shitting on someone's lawn. :cuckoo:

Paulie doesn't want any police around.

Multiple laws are being broken by multiple people. Public health hazards are occurring. But Paulie wants the police to give them a pass because this is a special circumstance.

That is what his posts sound like to me. I don't think I have that wrong.

If I do, my apologies.

The police are part of the community. The protestors are a teeny tiny segment of the population.

The police are paid to protect ALL the community. Their duties aren't supposed to be suspended because a teeny tiny bit of the community thinks they are entitled to ride roughshod over community ordinances and disrespect the property rights of others.

Again, community policing instead of paramilitary policing.

Again, you're exaggerating what's going on for the sake of making a lame point.

The police are part of the community. The protestors are a teeny tiny segment of the population.

The police are paid to protect ALL the community. Their duties aren't supposed to be suspended because a teeny tiny bit of the community thinks they are entitled to ride roughshod over community ordinances and disrespect the property rights of others.

And also you render the police pretty well unable to protect anybody if everything they do is Monday morning quarterbacked by people who weren't there but just automatically assume the police were in the wrong. Unless a person was there from the beginning of the incident to the conclusion, you can't know what happened or why certain actions were undertaken.

Yes among hundreds of thousands of police officers on the beat there's going to be a bad apple here and there. And such people should be removed from any opportunity to abuse their authority. But the vast majority of police officers are standing on a wall separating the public going about its business from those who would commit mayhem, violence, and worse on others. The police are securing our rights as no other single group can. And they do it for not terrific pay and at risk to their own persons. I don't want their job being made more difficult than it already is.

Last edited:
Not all police officers are bad. Unfortunately, too many of them accept bad behavior from other cops. If you accept the behavior and do nothing to stop it, you may as well be abusing the public yourself.

Last edited:
The U.C. police officers are dressed in riot gear. They're given guns, batons, body armor, face shields, and spray canisters of pepper spray. And they're sent out in force. If they were in a video game they'd be ready to face off against some bad-ass foe with machine guns and assault rifles. We're used to seeing officers like that in pitched battles on the street, or about to rush into a house filled with drug dealers. These guys are facing teenagers blocking a sidewalk.

But once they're out there -- people all around, photographs being snapped, video cameras rolling -- it's the cops who feel powerless. The kids won't listen. Nobody wants to be the one to say, "Um, should we retreat?" Had they left, the crowd would've burst into cheers at their expense. No one wants to make the first move either. Some of them seethe. Others feel embarrassed, like the macho high school wrestler forced to square off against a girl in practice. If he goes too hard he'll feel bad. If he goes too easy and loses he'll be humiliated and ridiculed.

He goes too hard.

What George Orwell Can Teach Us About OWS and Police Brutality - Conor Friedersdorf - Politics - The Atlantic

Forum List

Back