What is the proper method of dealing with crowd control ...

Police officers order you to disperse, you disperse. If you don't, then they can use reasonable force to get you to disperse. The use of the spray was reasonable force.

The police either enforce the law or they do not. If the intent is to not have them enforce it, then don't deploy them and live with the consequences such as the rapes and robberies that occur at other OWS rallies.

This is a no-brainer.

Really. So - one wonders - why did the UC Davis Chancellor apologize?

The use of chemical gases on peaceful protesters is not resonable method of crowd control.

It is in fact abuse of force.

Where do you get your information from?

So what is your answer?

How do you get morons to obey a direct order? Put them in time out???

Stop always blaming law enforcement officials!

police officers order you to disperse, you disperse. If you don't, then they can use reasonable force to get you to disperse. The use of the spray was reasonable force.

The police either enforce the law or they do not. If the intent is to not have them enforce it, then don't deploy them and live with the consequences such as the rapes and robberies that occur at other ows rallies.

This is a no-brainer.

really. So - one wonders - why did the uc davis chancellor apologize?

politics....

Police officers order you to disperse, you disperse. If you don't, then they can use reasonable force to get you to disperse. The use of the spray was reasonable force.

The police either enforce the law or they do not. If the intent is to not have them enforce it, then don't deploy them and live with the consequences such as the rapes and robberies that occur at other OWS rallies.

This is a no-brainer.

Could be she believed something was or might be wrong.

Could be she wouldn't have gotten to her position if she didn't understand the politics of California.

Could be a combo of the two.

This is a no-brainer.

Because smarmy libs do that kind of thing.

Let the People protest in peace. Why do the Police always need to be in everyone's face during these protests? These local Governments should order them to back off and get the hell out of the way. They are only instigating violence at this point. Can't the State stay out of our business even for just a day or two? Why do they have to harass the People so much. Can't the People have anything anymore?

It's getting to the point where you feel the Police don't help the People nearly as much as they harass the People. Personally i've had very few Police ever help me in my life. But i have had many Police harass me in my life. And i think many people on this Board have the same story. They seem to always be there to harass you but not there often enough to help you. They're losing the People at this point. The People are turning on them. And they themselves are to blame. Just leave the People alone and be decent. Is that really too much to ask?

Governments have a responsibility to uphold the law.

Don't you agree with that?

If the protestors were protesting legally, there would not be a problem. When they are violating the law, there is a problem.

There are many many many legal public venues (and times) for protest. These protestors are making their point and garnering the attention they crave BY breaking the law and you want the government to abdicate its responsibility to the rest of its citizens by letting the law breaking go on.

I just don't understand.

At all.

Last edited:
Let the People protest in peace. Why do the Police always need to be in everyone's face during these protests? These local Governments should order them to back off and get the hell out of the way. They are only instigating violence at this point. Can't the State stay out of our business even for just a day or two? Why do they have to harass the People so much. Can't the People have anything anymore?

It's getting to the point where you feel the Police don't help the People nearly as much as they harass the People. Personally i've had very few Police ever help me in my life. But i have had many Police harass me in my life. And i think many people on this Board have the same story. They seem to always be there to harass you but not there often enough to help you. They're losing the People at this point. The People are turning on them. And they themselves are to blame. Just leave the People alone and be decent. Is that really too much to ask?

"Let the People protest in peace."

They did.

But there is an old truism in the law that says your liberty to swing your arms ends somewhere short of my nose.

Similarly, the right of protesters to protest is also subject to some reasonable limitations and conditions whether you care for them or not.

The OWS-ers' right to perform their occupado bullshit cannot be permitted to permanently deny other students of their right to get to classes. The right of the occupados to protest doesn't trump the other folks right to get the education they are paying for and need.

If you want to stand up on the soap box in the public square to make your case to the crowd, have at it. But that right doesn't become a right to filibuster so that nobody else gets a chance to speak THEIR mind, too.

Like it or not, there ARE some perfectly valid trade-offs in a civil society.

Can't the Government give the People just one thing? Why does it always have to be about the harassment and control? Get off our backs Government. We're sick of it. This is why all Americans should be for less Government. They always abuse their power.

Can't the Government give the People just one thing? Why does it always have to be about the harassment and control? Get off our backs Government. We're sick of it. This is why all Americans should be for less Government. They always abuse their power.

Bullshit.

The fucking occupados got their rights fully honored.

They do not have the right or the liberty or the license to endlessly inflict themselves on others. And if they lack the civility requisite to allowing OTHERS access to their rights then I WANT our "government" to step in and tell them to cut the shit.

Meanwhile, nobody's stopping them from continuing their petulant, stupid, unpersuasive protest . They are merely being told that they do not have the right to endlessly lay unilateral claim to a particular portion of common-access property.

Give People just one thing?

And that one thing is the ability to pick and choose which laws they wish to break with impunity?

C'mon. You are advocating the government standing back and doing nothing when people are breaking the law.

If you don't like the laws, change them by legitimate means.

If you break the law, accept the consequences. That's how civil disobedience is supposed to work. Maybe this action against these people who were breaking the law will backfire and will result in the more lawless environment you seem to crave.

But if you are going to promote the theory that people should be allowed to pick and choose which laws they can break and the government should stand back and let them go without consequence, I am going to say you are wrong. Point blank.

Good on the US authorities I say.
There's no way that they're going to let the ragheads out-democracy them!!!

Just because the Egyptians have a little bit of democracy now, and they have a town square, do they think they suddenly know how to beat their citizens up with their own freedoms?

Watch and learn what 250 years of democracy and freedom of expression looks like when applied with the proper degree of force!!

This was on campus. They weren't doing anything but sitting on the ground. As far as I know, they have a right to sit on the ground on their own campus.

The cops way overreacted.

Big Government can't leave the People alone. It's what they do. Everytime you turn around you're bumping into Government. They're everywhere. It really is all about the harassment & control. They can't possibly allow the People to be free to protest. They have to be right there instigating trouble. Police seem to be harassing Citizens more than they're helping them these days. And that's why the People are turning on them. I mean how much harassment are the People gonna take? I see much more unrest in the future.

Big Government can't leave the People alone. It's what they do. Everytime you turn around you're bumping into Government. They're everywhere. It really is all about the harassment & control. They can't possibly allow the People to be free to protest. They have to be right there instigating trouble. Police seem to be harassing Citizens more than they're helping them these days. And that's why the People are turning on them. I mean how much harassment are the People gonna take? I see much more unrest in the future.

A Dr. Paul-sponsored

melt_down.jpg

The protesters simply do not have any legitimate right to endlessly engage in behavior which disrupts the lives of so many other people.

They have aright to protest.
They have a right to gather together.
They can combine those concepts.
They can march.
They can carry signs.
They can bang the drums.
They can say all manner of silly stuff.

But they cannot, legitimately, do so endlessly.

It may gripe them, but they do have an obligation, too. And that is an obligation to at some point stop interfering with the lives and livelihood of others.

And when they behave like pigs and refuse to honor the rights of the others, the duty of the government is to step in.

All the libertarian and leftist statist wailing and gnashing of teeth is just so much unpersuasive and unreasonable and irrational hot air.

Last edited:
They also had tents set up which as I understand was against the rules. That's a public health and safety issue. They received (and as I understand it ignored) written orders to take them down.

Then they linked arms and hunkered down to make it as hard as possible for police to accomplish their lawful duty.

Was the pepper spray right or wrong? I don't know. I await the results of the investigation. Maybe they'll be cleared. Even in California, almost anything is possible.

But whether these officers' actions are deemed to have been too extreme, the government has an obligation to ALL citizens to not stand by and watch while a few are breaking the law.

They also had tents set up which as I understand was against the rules. That's a public health and safety issue. They received (and as I understand it ignored) written orders to take them down.

Then they linked arms and hunkered down to make it as hard as possible for police to accomplish their lawful duty.

the right to link arms shall not be infringed ~ george wallace

Forum List

Back