What is the Primary duty of the federal government?

I think Retired and Sidestreamer are spot on. Retired notes the power of amendment, and Sidestreamer infers that Article IV Section 4, Clause 1 is a subset of the Constitution, not the guiding spirit or force of it. The guiding forces in my opinion are the Preamble, Amendment I and Amendment XIV, and, of course, the Supreme Court (Article III) that is given "original jurisdiction" on matters constitutional.

And while it doesn't normally get the attention it deserves, don't forget Amendment IX. Nothing gives us a hint of what was envisioned better than the reservation of those unenumerated rights to the People.

I think the current role of the federal government is to rob a pussified nation at will, and to seek additional revenue from a sheeplike people.

The government's job is to give right wing nut jobs something other than minorities to hate and left wing nut jobs something other than their own sense of self righteousness to love.

The primary duty, to me, was the primary purpose, as Jefferson penned in his famous document:

...That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness...

Deposing a tryannical government, King George!

There are differences in the AOC and the Original 7, so even the Founders adjusted the purpose with time.

What is the primary duty of the federal government? When you give your answer, please state why.

National Defense and Foreign Diplomacy are the two biggies. Notice how treaty power is reserved for the President and Senate, and maritime law is left to the Supreme Court. These are the primary duty of the Federal Government.

By necessity, the Federal Government is also responsible for domestic crisises too big for the individual states. This is implied by its very existence. Why bother to have a centralized government if it is incapable of dealing with issues that local government can not handle on their own.

This right wing/left wing garbage is all that, garbage. You either love being a slave to bad government, making excuses for rich, candy ass lawyers who rob you, and ran your nation into the ground; or you don't.

Pretty simple. To accuse folks of racism or being self righteous is kind of weird.

This right wing/left wing garbage is all that, garbage. You either love being a slave to bad government, making excuses for rich, candy ass lawyers who rob you, and ran your nation into the ground; or you don't.

Pretty simple. To accuse folks of racism or being self righteous is kind of weird.

I think you posted in the wrong thread.

Article IV Section 4, Clause 1: "The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence."

That my friends, is the primary role of government. Not all that hope and change crap. Dude was the closest to the answer.

Oh, I see.

So you picked a random clause from the Consitution, and decided that summarized the entire document. Interesting.

How about Article 1, section 8?

I guess they really didn't mean that part, right? They just put it in there for shits and giggles.

Article IV Section 4, Clause 1: "The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence."

That my friends, is the primary role of government. Not all that hope and change crap. Dude was the closest to the answer.

Oh, I see.

So you picked a random clause from the Consitution, and decided that summarized the entire document. Interesting.

I guess they really didn't mean that part, right? They just put it in there for shits and giggles.

Great minds, Vast. :thup:
If you look back through the posts, it's mentioned that "primary" does not mean "summary" or "only" or even "most important", although just what it does mean is clear as mud. As is the reason for choosing that particular clause, or the basis of the expansive interpretation of a narrow concept. I tried, I give up. Good luck with all that. :lol:

Oh, I see.

Another person with possible reading comprehension problems to sort through. Try reading my posts for what they actually say, instead of trying to inject your own spin into it, and then claiming it to be mine.

Your retort was worst than weak.

Forum List

Back