What is the Past Tense of the Verb "Forgo"?

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
What is the past tense of the verb, "forgo"? The present/future tense is easy: "I am forgoing dessert, thank you" or "I intend to forgo dessert at dinner tonight." But what is the PAST tense of the verb, "forgo"?

"Last night at dinner I (?) dessert." Forgoed? Forwent? Neither of those seem correct. So what IS it?

Note: Do not confuse "forgo" (to do without) with "forego" (to precede or go ahead of). We are only talking about the verb, "forgo" here.

What is the past tense of the verb, "forgo"? The present/future tense is easy: "I am forgoing dessert, thank you" or "I intend to forgo dessert at dinner tonight." But what is the PAST tense of the verb, "forgo"?

"Last night at dinner I (?) dessert." Forgoed? Forwent? Neither of those seem correct. So what IS it?

Note: Do not confuse "forgo" (to do without) with "forego" (to precede or go ahead of). We are only talking about the verb, "forgo" here.

Who skips dessert...? :eusa_eh: lol

When you aren't sure how to articulate the proper tense, it is usually best to communicate by choosing a different way of saying the same thing... (such as I skipped dessert.)

Jill is right, though... it's forewent. Sounds awkward to say even though it's correct.

Forewent | Define Forewent at Dictionary.com

When you aren't sure how to articulate the proper tense, it is usually best to communicate by choosing a different way of saying the same thing... (such as I skipped dessert.)

Jill is right, though... it's forewent. Sounds awkward to say even though it's correct.

You win the prize! (I had already scoped this one out - just wanted to see what a few of you might have to say.)

Yes, technically, "forewent" is correct. But most authorities (at least the ones I saw) side with you, Valerie - that "forewent," while technically correct, is awkward at best. Believe it or not, using a substitute word or phrase is the best way to go. Hence, "I skipped dessert," as opposed to "I forewent dessert."

I know I certainly would use the former, as opposed to the latter.

eschewed?

Last edited:

Forwent.

You win the prize! (I had already scoped this one out - just wanted to see what a few of you might have to say.)

Yes, technically, "forewent" is correct. But most authorities (at least the ones I saw) side with you, Valerie - that "forewent," while technically correct, is awkward at best. Believe it or not, using a substitute word or phrase is the best way to go. Hence, "I skipped dessert," as opposed to "I forewent dessert."

I know I certainly would use the former, as opposed to the latter.

:lol: I was gonna say...it always surprises me when someone posts a thread like this since the answer is so easily retrievable on the Google! lol

Jill is always right - it gets tiresome!!!
04.gif

Good question....

I believe the prefix "for" is always "to precede or go ahead of" so your answer wouldn't include "for" - If it was it did it would be an oxymoron.

I suppose the Antonym would be "before."...

Good question....

I believe the prefix "for" is always "to precede or go ahead of" so your answer wouldn't include "for" - If it was it did it would be an oxymoron.

I suppose the Antonym would be "before."...

Hey! Good job being stupid!

Forum List

Back